UPDATE: I found this device and ordered one off Amazon. It is a Bluetooth receiver and plugs into any audio input jack in a radio or the ones built into cars. I can also carry it with me as it runs on battery which can be charged off a powered USB port. So in addition to a tiny Bluetooth device that I can carry, I can also transmit my phone or tablets music via Bluetooth to my car radio!

I paired my nexus 4 and 7, I can see both in Trusted Devices when I go into smart lock. Also I can see each when I go into blue tooth, why do I still have to unlocked them both?

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-19-2014 08:14 PM
    Do you have any other kind of locking app installed, like SkipLock?

Does it work if you pair with another Bluetooth device, like a headset?
    11-19-2014 10:42 PM
    Do you have any other kind of locking app installed, like SkipLock?

Does it work if you pair with another Bluetooth device, like a headset?
    No other lock App, no other Bluetooth, except one car with Bluetooth. It seems to me the two aren't connecting, they both see each other.

11-20-2014 11:50 AM
    If they're not connected, that won't trigger Smart Lock. In the Settings>Bluetooth menu, tap the other Nexus device to connect them, then see if Smart Lock works.
    11-20-2014 01:11 PM
    If they're not connected, that won't trigger Smart Lock. In the Settings>Bluetooth menu, tap the other Nexus device to connect them, then see if Smart Lock works.
    Each shows the other as a paired device, both BT are turned on, each says; Nexus 7 (4) is visable to nearby devices while BT Settings is open. I touched both on both, (How do you know if they are actively connected?), then turned off the 7 yet still had to enter pin code.

The Gear/Settings for each device say; Use for 'Contact Sharing'.

PS: When in Smartloack it says neither are connected so perhaps BT is messed up?!
    11-20-2014 01:45 PM
    Most Bluetooth devices should say "Connected" when they're connected, like Bluetooth headphones. It's possible that other phones or tablets that you have paired won't do that, because they might only connect on demand (e.g., when transferring files). In that case, those devices probably won't work for Smart Lock. When I get a chance, I'll see if I can pair my N5 and N7 and see if it works.
    11-20-2014 02:55 PM
    Most Bluetooth devices should say "Connected" when they're connected, like Bluetooth headphones. It's possible that other phones or tablets that you have paired won't do that, because they might only connect on demand (e.g., when transferring files). In that case, those devices probably won't work for Smart Lock. When I get a chance, I'll see if I can pair my N5 and N7 and see if it works.
    That would be appreciated if you could simulate the situation, currently I'm following advice found on a forum about BT and doing a wipe and factory re-install of lollipop. Thanks!
    11-20-2014 03:59 PM
    I tried it between my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7. It didn't work with that kind of Bluetooth connection. My suspicion is that the trusted device has to be a smartwatch or a headset--something with a constant connection. The one thing I didn't try was to use Bluetooth tethering between the devices for internet access--maybe that constant connection might allow it to be a trusted device.
    makarand14 and anon(55900) like this.
    11-21-2014 10:56 AM
    I am having problems with safe lock too. It keeps forgetting that I turned on the safe places. So your issue is probably lollipop related than a Bluetooth issue

anon(55900) likes this.
    11-21-2014 05:52 PM
    I tried it between my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7. It didn't work with that kind of Bluetooth connection. My suspicion is that the trusted device has to be a smartwatch or a headset--something with a constant connection. The one thing I didn't try was to use Bluetooth tethering between the devices for internet access--maybe that constant connection might allow it to be a trusted device.
    I'm going to try it with the car Bluetooth this weekend, I've never used BT before so a learning experience!

11-21-2014 06:10 PM
    I am having problems with safe lock too. It keeps forgetting that I turned on the safe places. So your issue is probably lollipop related than a Bluetooth issue

Safe places? I can only designate trusted devices via Bluetooth or NFC. Are you able to designate a trusted place via wi-fi?
    11-21-2014 09:31 PM
    I just paired a Bluetooth headset with my tablet. Enabled the security. It definitely requires the device to be connected continuously for it to auto unlock. When I switch off the headset, it falls back on security, face unlock FTW

- Nexus 7 (2013) on Stock Lollipop
    Attached Thumbnails Smart Lock help needed-7567.jpg  
    B. Diddy likes this.
    11-21-2014 11:00 PM
    Safe places? I can only designate trusted devices via Bluetooth or NFC. Are you able to designate a trusted place via wi-fi?
    The latest version of Google Play Services added "trusted places" as an option in Smart Lock. You can specify one or more locations based on GPS where the phone remains unlocked. Some users may have already gotten it through a system update. I manually installed the APK. Works pretty nicely.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    11-22-2014 01:13 AM
    Oh, cool! I'm still stuck on v6.1.88 of Play Services.
    11-22-2014 01:24 AM
    Oh, cool! I'm still stuck on v6.1.88 of Play Services.
    If you're interested, here's the site that discusses the trusted place feature (with the link to the updated Google Play service APK).

Google Play Services Update Adds Trusted Places Feature To Lollipop's Smart Lock
    B. Diddy likes this.
    11-22-2014 01:35 AM
    Thanks. I thought trusted places would be based on wi-fi networks, but it looks like it's actually based on geographic location.
    daihard2008 likes this.
    11-22-2014 01:52 AM
    Thanks. I thought trusted places would be based on wi-fi networks, but it looks like it's actually based on geographic location.
    Yes, it is based on GPS location. I wish they had an option to use Wi-Fi connection too, which in my opinion is more secure.
    11-22-2014 01:59 AM
    Can always check out" delayed lock" app on play store - let's you choose WiFi networks and BT-works great and was inexpensive

daihard2008 likes this.
    11-22-2014 02:50 AM
    Can always check out" delayed lock" app on play store - let's you choose WiFi networks and BT-works great and was inexpensive
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will stick with Smart Lock for now. The GPS-based implementation is good enough for me - I'm not all that secure.
    11-22-2014 11:00 AM
    What effect do you think basing this on GPS will have on battery life?
    11-22-2014 01:46 PM
    Are you sure it has to be GPS? Wouldn't it also be able to obtain location from wi-fi/mobile data? Of course, the location would be less precise that way.
    11-22-2014 02:12 PM
    Are you sure it has to be GPS? Wouldn't it also be able to obtain location from wi-fi/mobile data? Of course, the location would be less precise that way.
    To be honest, I'm not 100% sure. I just assumed it was GPS, because when I first turned it on, it asked me whether I wanted to use the two locations I predefined in Maps - home and work - as trusted locations, showing me the street addresses. Also, if it used Wi-Fi, I'd imagine it would also have a "trusted networks" option to allow the phone to remain unprotected while connected to a specified Wi-Fi access point. But again, I don't know for sure.
    11-22-2014 03:42 PM