iMessage on Android - Download iMessage for Android

I'm assuming that is fake? I want to switch to Android but given AT&T's lack of building penetration in my area I depend to heavily on iMessage. Is there anyway to text through wifi? I realize there are what's app and etc but asking everyone to use that is unrealistic. Thanks!

Sent from my Gold iPhone 6 Plus 64Gb using Tapatalk
    11-19-2014 08:38 PM
    Google voice will do it, but if you want to port over your carrier number instead of using the google voice number, there's a one time fee. And with the integration to hangouts, you can also make your phone calls over WiFi through the Hangouts dialer.
    daihard2008 likes this.
    11-19-2014 08:44 PM
    iMessage on Android - Download iMessage for Android

I'm assuming that is fake? I want to switch to Android but given AT&T's lack of building penetration in my area I depend to heavily on iMessage. Is there anyway to text through wifi? I realize there are what's app and etc but asking everyone to use that is unrealistic. Thanks!
    You should be able to use any Messenger or Hangouts on Android. They send out regular SMS/MMS messages. The recipients will get them in iMessage if they're on the iPhone. The only difference is that the text will show up in green instead of blue (meaning it is a text message rather than iMessage), and it is subject to the carrier texting fee.
    11-19-2014 08:46 PM
    You should be able to use any Messenger or Hangouts on Android. They send out regular SMS/MMS messages. The recipients will get them in iMessage if they're on the iPhone. The only difference is that the text will show up in green instead of blue (meaning it is a text message rather than iMessage), and it is subject to the carrier texting fee.
    The main problem is in my school no one gets signal. (I know I'm at school) so all my messages must go through wifi. Google Voice would help but at same time no one else has signal so I'm still sol

11-19-2014 08:51 PM
    Google voice will do it, but if you want to port over your carrier number instead of using the google voice number, there's a one time fee. And with the integration to hangouts, you can also make your phone calls over WiFi through the Hangouts dialer.
    Yeah, that's a good point. When I broke away from AT&T, I ported my number to Google Voice and bought a cheap prepaid plan from T-Mobile. That way I was able to keep the same phone number. I loved it when Google finally integrated GV with Hangouts.
    11-19-2014 08:51 PM
    Yeah, that's a good point. When I broke away from AT&T, I ported my number to Google Voice and bought a cheap prepaid plan from T-Mobile. That way I was able to keep the same phone number. I loved it when Google finally integrated GV with Hangouts.
    I wish that was my answer problem is others don't have signal. Google please help!

11-19-2014 09:04 PM
    There are also the app to app messaging services, like WhatsApp or Skype or BBM or many others. They do their texting via data rather than phone so they can use WiFi. You just have to get everyone to download the same app, which shouldn't be that hard if they all work in the same building and all have the same problem. WhatsApp uses your regular carrier number - no special account name, number or password required.
    11-19-2014 09:05 PM
    I wish that was my answer problem is others don't have signal. Google please help!
    I think the only way around that is to use a third-party messaging app, like KCAndroid1 suggested above. I agree that it may not be realistic when everyone but you can communicate via iMessage, though. Have you talked to them about it?
    11-19-2014 09:14 PM
    I think the only way around that is to use a third-party messaging app, like Photon4glover suggested above. I agree that it may not be realistic when everyone but you can communicate via iMessage, though. Have you talked to them about it?
    I've mentioned it a few people and generally get a response of "I like iMessage" "why?" "No thanks" blah blah. My 4-8 most contacted were willing to download an app but due to the amount of people I text I can't sacrifice it. I think I'm out of luck

11-19-2014 09:46 PM
    I've mentioned it a few people and generally get a response of "I like iMessage" "why?" "No thanks" blah blah. My 4-8 most contacted were willing to download an app but due to the amount of people I text I can't sacrifice it. I think I'm out of luck
    That's what happens when Apple locks you in. If they were Android users and you were the only iPhone user, Hangouts would still work. Not the other way around.
    11-19-2014 09:52 PM
    If you use Google Voice and they stick with iMessage, it should all be able to happen over WiFi. Problem solved.
    daihard2008 likes this.
    11-19-2014 10:24 PM
    If you use Google Voice and they stick with iMessage, it should all be able to happen over WiFi. Problem solved.
    Duh! You're right. Google Voice messaging can use Wi-Fi unlike the SMS based on regular phone numbers. Problem solved, indeed. Well, the OP just has to obtain and publish a Google Voice number.
    11-19-2014 10:29 PM
    No because the iPhone would send as SMS to google voice

11-19-2014 10:50 PM
    Nope. Google voice does its messaging with data, not the phone line. It doesn't matter where Apple sends it; data is how Google voice gets it to and from you. If you are on WiFi and turn off your mobile data, your Google voice texts will still send and receive.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-19-2014 11:24 PM
    You have nothing to lose by trying it. Texting your friends from work from a new phone number is a lot easier than getting them to leave iMessage for a different app.

11-19-2014 11:27 PM
    Nope. Google voice does its messaging with data, not the phone line. It doesn't matter where Apple sends it; data is how Google voice gets it to and from you. If you are on WiFi and turn off your mobile data, your Google voice texts will still send and receive.
    I think the OP's point is that texts sent from the iPhone will still go through mobile until they reach your number, because the iPhone has no way of knowing whether the destination number is a regular mobile phone number or a Google Voice number. It means you (as the GV user) don't need to be on the mobile network, but your iPhone friends do.
    Photon4glover likes this.
    11-19-2014 11:29 PM

Right. What I'm saying is I can send and receive messages then. But the problem becomes the people I'm texting still have no signal on their iPhones to send text messages :/

11-19-2014 11:30 PM
    Ahhh. So, unless and until the iPhone users realize that they are missing text messages to or from anyone not on iMessage, they are not motivated to do anything. That's very in-the-Apple-bubble of them.
    daihard2008 and Photon4glover like this.
    11-20-2014 02:26 PM
    Ahhh. So, unless and until the iPhone users realize that they are missing text messages to or from anyone not on iMessage, they are not motivated to do anything. That's very in-the-Apple-bubble of them.
    Yes unfortunately that is how the majority of Apple users are. Sad. Funny most people I know that switch to Android absolutely love it and wonder why they had iPhone

11-20-2014 02:28 PM