06-10-2016 02:04 PM
80 123 ...
tools
    I have spoken with a Google UI Engineer who has confirmed a dark theme for Lollipop is coming more aligned with the darker themed material design of the keyboard.

"Dark theme is coming... Just like the material dark theme keyboard". No, I don't have an ETA for it, sorry. But at least we know it's coming. I asked if this was something I needed to keep quiet about and he said no because everyone's already thinking it anyway.

I figured I'd make this its own post so it would more easily be seen by everyone who is upset with the brightness of Lollipop, since that seems to be such a large amount of users here.
    11-19-2014 11:44 PM
    Thanks for the info! I hope that engineer wasn't being a tease ...
    daihard2008 and chezm like this.
    11-20-2014 12:55 PM
    He's a pretty fun and silly guy, but when it comes to Android updates he's been right on the money with everything he's said to me so far. :-) They recently updated about ten or so smilies for 5.0, but I've been away from the internet for long periods of time during my days lately, so I'm not sure if AC ran a piece on it or not. The angel, the baby the dancing man with a rose, one of the smiling smilies, etc... santa even has a slight change—a smile on his face, now.

My point is, he told me that was coming a couple days before, and then *boom*, it hit my phone. :-)
    B. Diddy likes this.
    11-20-2014 01:55 PM
    He's a pretty fun and silly guy, but when it comes to Android updates he's been right on the money with everything he's said to me so far. :-) They recently updated about ten or so smilies for 5.0, but I've been away from the internet for long periods of time during my days lately, so I'm not sure if AC ran a piece on it or not. The angel, the baby the dancing man with a rose, one of the smiling smilies, etc... santa even has a slight change—a smile on his face, now.

My point is, he told me that was coming a couple days before, and then *boom*, it hit my phone. :-)
    Thanks for the great info! Now, do you happen to know how Lollipop will allow the user to choose different themes? I know we can choose different themes on the app-by-app level, but on the OS level? I hope it will be like the Theme Engine so that the third-party developers can create custom themes for the stock Lollipop.
    11-20-2014 02:00 PM
    if true great news
    11-20-2014 02:41 PM
    Thanks for the great info! Now, do you happen to know how Lollipop will allow the user to choose different themes? I know we can choose different themes on the app-by-app level, but on the OS level? I hope it will be like the Theme Engine so that the third-party developers can create custom themes for the stock Lollipop.
    No clue! Interesting question though. I'll see what I can get out of him.
    daihard2008 likes this.
    11-20-2014 02:57 PM
    Are they going to make a decent calendar and replace those flat icons and flat design in general? this new one is really a hell. Hate it! like 90% of the rest of the lollipop tho : / very disappointing thing,, especially when it comes from google. First time in my life I started considering iPhone....
    11-22-2014 06:04 PM
    Lollipop definitely needs a dark theme.
    11-22-2014 06:08 PM
    Are they going to make a decent calendar and replace those flat icons and flat design in general? this new one is really a hell. Hate it! like 90% of the rest of the lollipop tho : / very disappointing thing,, especially when it comes from google. First time in my life I started considering iPhone....
    I love the new calendar. Its so much better than the last one. They better not change it.

Posted via the Android Central App
    daihard2008 and xban1 like this.
    11-22-2014 06:15 PM
    I love the new calendar. Its so much better than the last one. They better not change it.

The new calendar is [language removed by Moderator]

iacvavilia and checkmate like this.
    11-22-2014 09:59 PM
    So happy about the dark theme! And while they're at it, could they also add tap to wake?
    daihard2008 likes this.
    11-22-2014 10:14 PM
    Agreed. I like the new calendar, too. With the Chronus calendar widget, I don't need any third-party calendar anymore.
    11-22-2014 10:20 PM
    Great snippet of news there, if true. Thanks for the info, OP.

11-23-2014 03:40 AM
    Some kind of a darker theme really would be nice. Let us see what's coming.
    daihard2008 likes this.
    11-23-2014 06:38 PM
    Having seen lollipop on you tube it doesn't look very appealing to me, visually. Being on an older model (S4) I expect to stay with kitkat. I've also heard from others that there are some serious app issues. Being pretty new to Android (loving it) I have to ask. Don't the developers get a developer version of a new os so they can be ready for launch?

Samsung Galaxy S4 And 4.4.2 Switched from Z10 July 26.2014
    11-23-2014 11:53 PM
    Yes, that's why there was the Android L Developer Preview available for installation starting about 2 months ago. But even then, it can be hard for devs to know about any last minute tweaks to the final build before it rolls out officially to everyone.
    daihard2008 likes this.
    11-24-2014 12:21 AM
    Thanks that makes sense. I wonder if the massive change in looks is possibly to over shadow not having many functional enhancements. Maybe I'm paranoid having been through the BlackBerry 10 debacle

Samsung Galaxy S4 And 4.4.2 Switched from Z10 July 26.2014
    11-25-2014 11:48 PM
    Sorry guys, I asked but he doesn't have any further information regarding how exactly it will be implemented or whether it will be as soon as 5.01 or what.

Posted via Android Central App
    daihard2008 likes this.
    11-26-2014 05:15 PM
    Sorry guys, I asked but he doesn't have any further information regarding how exactly it will be implemented or whether it will be as soon as 5.01 or what.
    Hey, thank you much for asking. I will just wait and see what happens. Lack of a dark theme is a nice-to-have thing to me - lack of it won't kill me.
    Jonneh likes this.
    11-26-2014 06:30 PM
    Hey Jonneh
    Sorry to be a pain, but would you happen to have any updates on this? I found the amount of white in KitKat to be excessive, so you can imagine Lollipop would not be great for me in this regard!

Cheers!
    Steve
    02-04-2015 06:13 AM
    Awesome
    02-04-2015 03:09 PM
    Really hope this becomes a reality!
    Sick to death of Lollipop, I thought Kids Mode was enabled at first..
    02-14-2015 01:08 PM
    Not sure how the colours / animations will work with a dark theme.

This feature will most likely appear in custom ROMs before stock, like The Real Dark Slim option in SlimKat.

02-14-2015 01:10 PM
    I use slimrom because of its all black interface, so much easier on the eye and saves a little battery to boot the biggest problem is that custom roms dont have full support for the camera fucntions which is pretty much a deal breaker but then again so is having to look at touchwiz.

Ive looked around and I surprised there isnt a dark theme or that someone hasnt pulled the camera functionality of the google play edition and put it into their custom roms.

or maybe someone has?
    03-11-2015 03:54 AM
    Lollipop definitely needs a dark theme.
    Totally agree!

04-05-2015 09:12 PM
80 123 ...