Upgraded Nexus 5 to Lollipop, phone numbers and contacts missing! Help?

disrupterx

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I've had a look through the threads and couldn't find any other people with this issue.

Basically, I upgraded my Nexus 5 to Android 5.0 Lollipop last night. Today I got a call, showing no caller id, except a phone number. Turned out that this was someone who should have been in my contact list (and subsequently identify them for me).

I proceeded to check my contacts (both through the 'contacts' app and the 'phone' app). Behold! All my contacts were gone and replaced with email contacts. That is, for some reason my various email accounts were showing me their contacts!

So now I'm left with a whole heap of email addresses and names (many of which were from once off email correspondence who I don't care about) with no phone numbers. This has literally made the phone-feature of my phone useless as I have no phone numbers to call.

A few extra notes:
  • NO apps have been installed following the upgrade.
  • I have attempted to 'import' them from SIM and 'storage' to no avail.
  • All contacts were stored on the phone, not the SIM.

I hope someone can help me out, or at least let me know I'm not the only person in this situation.... As I'm pretty worried because there are numbers of people that I've lost that I cannot contact in any other way.

Thanks for your time,

Disrupterx

xban1

May 29, 2014
Visit site
It was better to save it on one of your email account. If it was saved on your phone, maybe its gone forever

Posted via the Android Central App

Kresten C

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Exactly the same problem here. I use Exchange to Sync the contacts but they don't show up. Just e-mail addresses of the 'suggested contacts' are there.
Phone is useless now. :(

linuxloon

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue. My contacts all come from exchange. After the upgrade I had no contacts.

I had to sync one time to my exchange account and them my contacts came back. However, just clicking on my exchange account did nothing at first, it would just spin and spin with no e-mail or error message. I had to go into settings for that account and then got a prompt to accemt the terms, just like adding the account for the fist time. after it synced my contacts came back.

Dan Mathewson

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
If you go into your "contacts", the app, and click on the 3 dots, (settings). there is an option called "Contacts to display" Go into "Customize" and start turning things off and on till you have the contacts you want! best of luck to you!

Rishab Goyal

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Even I am facing the same problem..
Contacts is the most critical part for a phone and google android doesn't seem to take it seriously.

Please suggest if there any way out.. or may be we can degrade the software..

John-Smith

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
No solution here. But same problem.

I'm not missing ALL my contacts, but a handful. A number that is saved on my phone called me yesterday and just the number came up, not the contact. And this person is saved in my contacts with a picture of them and everything.. I'm really getting tired of Google/Android.

First my SMS backup didn't work no matter what I try thanks to hangouts. Now this.

Crosswhite17

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if it is linked or not, but I have a nexus 5 and a moto e. I updated the nexus 5 to lollipop and when I went to my moto e all my contacts had disappeared. I used Motorola migrate to get them back without any joy so tried again and again. I then ended up with 3 entries for each contact.

jediwright

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Same issue here too...I had just switched from the iPhone 4S to the Nexus 5. No luck in recovering contacts yet either. Still looking for a solution as well...

lho_nexus

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem. Contact synchronisation with exchange mail account does not work.
The following workaround solved the problem for me:
- export contacts from exchange mail (Outlook);
- import them into Gmail;
- synchronise Nexus
=> contacts back on phone.

disrupterx

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, I've been unable to check back until now.

Update: Contacts still missing.

In reply to various people:

It was better to save it on one of your email account. If it was saved on your phone, maybe its gone forever

Yes, from what I'm aware, they would have been saved to the phone. I've never liked the idea of storing personal contact information online, and would personally be annoyed if someone stored my phone number and name. So I do this out of respect for my contacts. Regardless of how secure the information is kept.

I had the same issue. My contacts all come from exchange. After the upgrade I had no contacts.

I had to sync one time to my exchange account and them my contacts came back. However, just clicking on my exchange account did nothing at first, it would just spin and spin with no e-mail or error message. I had to go into settings for that account and then got a prompt to accemt the terms, just like adding the account for the fist time. after it synced my contacts came back.

Unless the phone automatically uploaded them at some point to one of my accounts, this is not a possible work around for me. I've also just tried the exchange sync, without any changes (this had already been done anyway, hence why I've got contacts comprised of solely email addresses).

If you go into your "contacts", the app, and click on the 3 dots, (settings). there is an option called "Contacts to display" Go into "Customize" and start turning things off and on till you have the contacts you want! best of luck to you!

Yes, I attempted this before posting, and have attempted it every time I've tried to revisit this problem. This does not work :(

Not backed up?

/\_/\

Nope. Read above as to why.

I had the same problem. Contact synchronisation with exchange mail account does not work.
The following workaround solved the problem for me:
- export contacts from exchange mail (Outlook);
- import them into Gmail;
- synchronise Nexus
=> contacts back on phone.

Again, similar issue because I didn't have the contacts being synced anywhere, and (to the best of my knowledge) were only being stored locally on the phone.

Thanks for the response, good (and bad) to know I'm not the only one. I wish that there would be some form of communication at least informing us as to whether they'll be recoverable at some point in the future or they're completely gone. :-\

dougmiles

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Opposite problem. After the upgrade my sync settings were reset so now I have all my work contacts on my phone, mixed up with my home ones. Can't even see how to delete one of them let alone all of them!

Avi14

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Please download 'Clean Master backup' now, for the future.

It will backup your contacts automatically as you set it up.

Avi14

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Opposite problem. After the upgrade my sync settings were reset so now I have all my work contacts on my phone, mixed up with my home ones. Can't even see how to delete one of them let alone all of them!

You have to set it up in you contact settings Witch account to sync.

Attachments

• 16803.jpg
    16803.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 170

mdphan

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I'm suffering the same thing. Wonder what the solution is. Wonder if this what gmail wants to obtain all of your contacts. If they are not there, they would be gone every time you upgrade Android. Hmmm???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance