11-22-2015 02:23 PM
36 12
tools
    Hello,

I've had a look through the threads and couldn't find any other people with this issue.

Basically, I upgraded my Nexus 5 to Android 5.0 Lollipop last night. Today I got a call, showing no caller id, except a phone number. Turned out that this was someone who should have been in my contact list (and subsequently identify them for me).

I proceeded to check my contacts (both through the 'contacts' app and the 'phone' app). Behold! All my contacts were gone and replaced with email contacts. That is, for some reason my various email accounts were showing me their contacts!

So now I'm left with a whole heap of email addresses and names (many of which were from once off email correspondence who I don't care about) with no phone numbers. This has literally made the phone-feature of my phone useless as I have no phone numbers to call.

A few extra notes:
    • NO apps have been installed following the upgrade.
    • I have attempted to 'import' them from SIM and 'storage' to no avail.
    • All contacts were stored on the phone, not the SIM.

I hope someone can help me out, or at least let me know I'm not the only person in this situation.... As I'm pretty worried because there are numbers of people that I've lost that I cannot contact in any other way.

Thanks for your time,

Disrupterx
    11-20-2014 02:05 AM
    Same exact problem also on my Nexus 5
    Anyone with a solution?
    11-20-2014 07:24 AM
    It was better to save it on one of your email account. If it was saved on your phone, maybe its gone forever

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-20-2014 08:14 AM
    Exactly the same problem here. I use Exchange to Sync the contacts but they don't show up. Just e-mail addresses of the 'suggested contacts' are there.
    Phone is useless now.
    11-20-2014 11:01 AM
    I had the same issue. My contacts all come from exchange. After the upgrade I had no contacts.

I had to sync one time to my exchange account and them my contacts came back. However, just clicking on my exchange account did nothing at first, it would just spin and spin with no e-mail or error message. I had to go into settings for that account and then got a prompt to accemt the terms, just like adding the account for the fist time. after it synced my contacts came back.
    11-20-2014 05:22 PM
    If you go into your "contacts", the app, and click on the 3 dots, (settings). there is an option called "Contacts to display" Go into "Customize" and start turning things off and on till you have the contacts you want! best of luck to you!
    11-20-2014 07:17 PM
    Even I am facing the same problem..
    Contacts is the most critical part for a phone and google android doesn't seem to take it seriously.

Please suggest if there any way out.. or may be we can degrade the software..
    11-21-2014 03:42 AM
    No solution here. But same problem.

I'm not missing ALL my contacts, but a handful. A number that is saved on my phone called me yesterday and just the number came up, not the contact. And this person is saved in my contacts with a picture of them and everything.. I'm really getting tired of Google/Android.

First my SMS backup didn't work no matter what I try thanks to hangouts. Now this.
    11-22-2014 01:14 PM
    Not sure if it is linked or not, but I have a nexus 5 and a moto e. I updated the nexus 5 to lollipop and when I went to my moto e all my contacts had disappeared. I used Motorola migrate to get them back without any joy so tried again and again. I then ended up with 3 entries for each contact.

11-22-2014 05:30 PM
    Not backed up?

/\_/\
    11-22-2014 05:32 PM
    Same issue here too...I had just switched from the iPhone 4S to the Nexus 5. No luck in recovering contacts yet either. Still looking for a solution as well...
    11-24-2014 08:39 AM
    I had the same problem. Contact synchronisation with exchange mail account does not work.
    The following workaround solved the problem for me:
    - export contacts from exchange mail (Outlook);
    - import them into Gmail;
    - synchronise Nexus
    => contacts back on phone.
    11-25-2014 04:40 AM
    Sorry, I've been unable to check back until now.

Update: Contacts still missing.

In reply to various people:

It was better to save it on one of your email account. If it was saved on your phone, maybe its gone forever

Yes, from what I'm aware, they would have been saved to the phone. I've never liked the idea of storing personal contact information online, and would personally be annoyed if someone stored my phone number and name. So I do this out of respect for my contacts. Regardless of how secure the information is kept.

I had the same issue. My contacts all come from exchange. After the upgrade I had no contacts.

I had to sync one time to my exchange account and them my contacts came back. However, just clicking on my exchange account did nothing at first, it would just spin and spin with no e-mail or error message. I had to go into settings for that account and then got a prompt to accemt the terms, just like adding the account for the fist time. after it synced my contacts came back.
    Unless the phone automatically uploaded them at some point to one of my accounts, this is not a possible work around for me. I've also just tried the exchange sync, without any changes (this had already been done anyway, hence why I've got contacts comprised of solely email addresses).

If you go into your "contacts", the app, and click on the 3 dots, (settings). there is an option called "Contacts to display" Go into "Customize" and start turning things off and on till you have the contacts you want! best of luck to you!
    Yes, I attempted this before posting, and have attempted it every time I've tried to revisit this problem. This does not work

Not backed up?

/\_/\
    Nope. Read above as to why.

I had the same problem. Contact synchronisation with exchange mail account does not work.
    The following workaround solved the problem for me:
    - export contacts from exchange mail (Outlook);
    - import them into Gmail;
    - synchronise Nexus
    => contacts back on phone.
    Again, similar issue because I didn't have the contacts being synced anywhere, and (to the best of my knowledge) were only being stored locally on the phone.

Thanks for the response, good (and bad) to know I'm not the only one. I wish that there would be some form of communication at least informing us as to whether they'll be recoverable at some point in the future or they're completely gone.
    11-25-2014 08:02 AM
    Once again, same issue for me.
    In my case it is only Offce365 contact that does not showed up.
    11-25-2014 10:19 AM
    same problem here. Nexus 5, upgraded to Lollipop. Office 365 phone numbers don't come over.
    11-25-2014 10:04 PM
    Opposite problem. After the upgrade my sync settings were reset so now I have all my work contacts on my phone, mixed up with my home ones. Can't even see how to delete one of them let alone all of them!
    11-26-2014 07:55 AM
    Please download 'Clean Master backup' now, for the future.

It will backup your contacts automatically as you set it up.

11-26-2014 10:16 AM
    Opposite problem. After the upgrade my sync settings were reset so now I have all my work contacts on my phone, mixed up with my home ones. Can't even see how to delete one of them let alone all of them!
    You have to set it up in you contact settings Witch account to sync.

Attached Thumbnails Upgraded Nexus 5 to Lollipop, phone numbers and contacts missing! Help?-16803.jpg  
    11-26-2014 10:22 AM
    Yes, I'm suffering the same thing. Wonder what the solution is. Wonder if this what gmail wants to obtain all of your contacts. If they are not there, they would be gone every time you upgrade Android. Hmmm???
    11-26-2014 06:59 PM
    I have the same issue i send it through Settings --> About phone --> Send feedback about your device
    Hope to receive a response from their side.
    12-02-2014 06:23 AM
    The following worked for me
    a) remove the account
    b) setup the account again
    c) go to contact application ---> 3 dots ... --> contact to display ---> customize ---> look at your account and make sure all boxes are ticked

good luck
    12-02-2014 08:07 PM
    Exactly the same problem on my side...some/most of my exchange contacts disapered from my nexus while still present on my "work" exchange. What to do?
    01-09-2015 03:53 PM
    I've had this issue on my Nexus 5 since the Lollipop update. Went to the T-Mobile store in early December who said there would be an update by the end of the month to fix these issues. Update 5.0.1 arrived and still problems. My work/Outlook email would sync (with horrible battery drain) but my work/outlook contacts were gone and my calendar wouldn't sync. I tried to export my outlook contacts to gmail but only ended up with email contacts, no #s.

Finally called 611 (T-Mobile) for tech help. Did a factory reset and re-added my Exchange account (today - 1/17/15) and LO AND BEHOLD, my contacts are back & my calendar is syncing! I won't know about the battery issue for a while (My battery would last maybe 5 hours without any use - outlook exchange even existing was eating up the battery).

But at least, for now, my calendar and work contacts are back! I didn't think this day would ever come. Hopefully it'll work for some of you.
    01-17-2015 03:33 PM
    Hello Guys,

Here comes the answer how to delete contact in google nexus 5 lollipop

Please go for ->Contacts -> select (...) -> click contacts to display -> customize -> click ok -> click the contact which you want to delete -> then click the pen symbol which is available in the top option -> after that again you be able to see (...) please click this there you'll get the option to delete the contact.

I hope this helps.

Thank you,
    Shibu chandran
    02-16-2015 12:06 AM
    One should always sign in or create one gmail account in android. This is the biggest advantage of android. You never loose your contacts and even wi-fi password. I can reset my G in my office wifi using my gmail and it even connects to the wifi network (password saved in google servers) and does a full resent with all third party apps and contacts within 15 mins. Obviously you need to grant google required permissions to save passwords.
    Hypnotoadd likes this.
    02-17-2015 01:50 AM
36 12