05-03-2015 05:06 PM
85 1234
tools
    You probably did an upgrade ota which isn't the best way to do it. Most people that did a clean install report very few issues. I myself flashed the factory image and couldn't be happier.
    Do a factory reset before giving up, or flash the factory image....
    See factory image link above and follow the directions.
    Three things solve most problems after every major change and OTA rollout.
    1. Re-install apps that haven't been recently updated.
    2. Clear the Cache Partition.
    3. Do a Factory Reset. (May be more important for smooth operation.)

Does it take a little time? YEP. It's time well spent to have smooth operation and a quicker operation.

This all just seems a little bit of fail to me. Not so much the apps - I know that is on the devs to keep their apps ready before a release. Why couldn't we just do the OTA update and keep on truckin'? This gives me the same kind of feeling when I would do a Windows OS upgrade. I felt way better by formatting the hard drive and starting from scratch, then re-installing apps. I had hoped things changed in this day and age. I think most users aren't going to want to format/wipe caches (or know how for that matter).
    11-24-2014 07:03 AM
    Thousands of bricked N7 devices lie resting because of the 5.0 OTA. Beware.
    Surely you have a citation for such an outrageous statement.
    Jonneh likes this.
    11-24-2014 08:19 AM
    I guess I'm lucky. I got the OTA for my nexus 5 a day or so ago and the OTA took about 20 minutes, I wiped my cache partition and lollipop is simply brilliant. I can't say enough good things about it.

Posted via the Android Central App
    I'm newer at Android but I was raised to accept responsibility. So, when the update didn't work well I read posts, mostly here, and did a factory restore. Once that was done Android 5.0 ran great. I don't have games on my phone and I don't use it for music so those apps aren't a concern for me but the apps I do use ran great. Doing the "restore to factory" did mean I lost one contact and a couple of apps that needed to be downloaded again. So, I learned to do a partition wipe.

Android 5.0, Lollipop, works great for me but all who wish to jump to IPhones are wished well. They never had glitches in updates, do they?
    daihard2008 likes this.
    11-24-2014 08:25 AM
    I'm newer at Android but I was raised to accept responsibility. So, when the update didn't work well I read posts, mostly here, and did a factory restore. Once that was done Android 5.0 ran great. I don't have games on my phone and I don't use it for music so those apps aren't a concern for me but the apps I do use ran great. Doing the "restore to factory" did mean I lost one contact and a couple of apps that needed to be downloaded again. So, I learned to do a partition wipe.

Android 5.0, Lollipop, works great for me but all who wish to jump to IPhones are wished well. They never had glitches in updates, do they?
    I also did a partition and cache wipe right after the OTA update was sideloaded before booting up, i havent had any major problems. Most of the issues ive had are application specific, developers have started releasing updates and each day its stabilizing. People going on like Worst update ever, seriously? wow, I experienced much worse when I had iPhones and Windows Phones.
    daihard2008 likes this.
    11-24-2014 09:44 AM
    I loaded it on my n7 and it has become almost unusable !!!! It takes forever to launch any app (if ever) the touch screen reacts after a 5 to 10 second delay. It shutsdown frequently.
    cpaight likes this.
    11-24-2014 10:04 AM
    Its working perfectly fine on my Nexus 5, my N7 2012 really struggled though, so much so I had to get rid of lollipop. I'll give it a month and have another look at it.
    I just installed it on my Note 3. Went to Play Store, grabbed updates and I concur. No issues. None.
    daihard2008 likes this.
    11-24-2014 06:29 PM
    Correct it's only with Nexus7 first gen / only significant issue is with this device and its VERY BAD - crippled
    11-24-2014 07:49 PM
    All these stories of bricking and slowdown have made me think twice about updating my N5/N7 devices. I think I'm going to wait until 5.0.1 is released, or maybe even 5.1.
    11-24-2014 08:48 PM
    Its running fine on my phone but they need to come out with a big update to fix bugs and stability issues.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-24-2014 09:46 PM
    My 2014 moto x on verizon is running fine with the update and it has really helped battery life!

When i first update i just applied the OTA then decided i wanted to start clean since it was such a major update so i wiped my device and cache and then installed from new. Every app has been working and have not had any issues so far.
    daihard2008 likes this.
    11-25-2014 12:38 PM
    My Nexus 5 works just fine, no problems, all my apps works fine, improved battery life (4.5 hrs screen time). No factory reset or wipe partition cache yet....
    daihard2008 likes this.
    11-25-2014 01:48 PM
    If it even gets released for the S4 I don't think I'll try it. I really don't like the look of it. Each there own I guess.

Samsung Galaxy S4 And 4.4.2 Switched from Z10 July 26.2014
    11-25-2014 11:51 PM
    I have a nexus 7 Wi-Fi 2013 and I have not gotten the update. I really am on the fence about getting it. I also have a droid turbo and am somewhat thankful that VZW and Moto will be awhile before I get it on the Turbo as they can fix the bugs and improve the things they messed up. I can live with a messed up N7 but would be seriously tick if my phone is messed up.
    Stay clear to many bugs, its playing havoc with my nexus 7 (2012)
    11-26-2014 10:50 AM
    I'm finding the update problematic. However I'm not bothered by apps crashes (I have one or two) as that is really the app developer's problem. I also am not convinced on a lot of the UI design (e.g. keyboard) but that's a matter of taste and generally you get used to new design.

However, for my use of a phone, I find there is a significant degrading in functionality that has made this a problem. These issues concern me more because they won't be fixed in a patch as they would requrie a decision to reinstate which probably won't happen.

My biggest issues so far (after about 4 days on Nexus 5)....
    - The ability to switch to airplane mode from the lockscreen by using the power button menu is gone - you can only power off when you hit the power button
    - The ability to go into silent mode from the power button menu
    - The inability to go into silent mode at all. The only option is to go into "no notifications" mode which not only stops calls but also everythign else
    - Access to settings now requires multiple swipes from home screen
    - Gallery app has gone and now all photos have to be managed from "Photos" - essentially local photo app replaced with G+ image management
    - No ability to just have notifications on status bar. The choice is no notificaitons on lock screen, notification on lock screen with no information (which puts a big block of empty space on your lock screen) or full notifications on lockscreen (which puts up the same block on teh lockscreen but now anybody can read your text / email etc). I prefer the lockscreen remain discreet with no information and just the icon to show that there is a message. That option isn't available
    - You need to multiple swipe to get rid of notification pane once you go into interim settings i.e. swipe down twice - swipe up twice. I'm unsure on the interim settings screen as most of what I need there was available on the power button menu.
    - I'm not sure if this is me or Lollipop - I found my contacts app had been removed (like the Gallery app). I was able to find it in the store and redownload - that one was wierd.

Overall - if I could I would go back - but not for the bugs or app issues (they are less important for me) - but core functionality in things I use day-to-day has been badly affected - if I wanted to be this micro managed into a walled community I'll but an iPhone
    11-26-2014 11:36 AM
    - The ability to switch to airplane mode from the lockscreen by using the power button menu is gone - you can only power off when you hit the power button
    You can do a two-finger swipe to bring down the quick toggles, and then toggle the Airplane mode there. You can do this whether or not the screen is locked. In fact, a single-finger swipe will do that when the screen is locked.

- Access to settings now requires multiple swipes from home screen
    Not if you consider a two-finger swipe a single action.

Nova Launcher lets you assign gestures to actions. I assign "swipe up" to opening the Settings menu.

Overall - if I could I would go back - but not for the bugs or app issues (they are less important for me) - but core functionality in things I use day-to-day has been badly affected - if I wanted to be this micro managed into a walled community I'll but an iPhone
    Now, this is the beauty of Android as opposed to the closed wall world of Apple. You can use third-party tools to customize your phone - launchers, power tools, custom widgets, etc. You could try a custom ROM as well. I am using a custom ROM named Cataclysm, which already allows you to bring down the quick toggles with a single-finger swipe, clear all recent apps with one tap, reboot the phone from the power menu, etc.
    11-26-2014 01:50 PM
    Hi. I have a 2013 N7, that's still on 4.4.4. MY question is,...should I have gotten the OTA by now? I'm actually okay with waiting, in light of all the problems I'm reading about. But my problem is that my tablet is rooted. I rooted it when I got impatient several weeks ago now. I quit when I found that I needed a Windows computer for the method I was looking at and that I needed to install all kinds of Android tools on my Mac to do anything with it. SO I factory-reset the Nexus, but Root Checker Basic says I still have Root Access. Will this PREVENT me from getting the OTA? I'm reading that it might. But then again it might not. As near as I can tell,....there is NO WAY for me to know if my device WOULD have gotten the OTA by now or not?

What a mess. Any help?
    11-26-2014 02:33 PM
    My wife's N7 (2012) was OTA'ed and is running just dandy. Facebook, gmail, words with friends, chrome, chromecast, hbo-go, etc...

YMMV...
    daihard2008 likes this.
    11-26-2014 03:00 PM
    My wife's N7 (2012) was OTA'ed and is running just dandy. Facebook, gmail, words with friends, chrome, chromecast, hbo-go, etc...

YMMV...
    11-26-2014 03:01 PM
    Thousands of bricked N7 devices lie resting because of the 5.0 OTA. Beware.

Probably because Asus and its quality control (hardware) sucks. Since the launch of the N7, only a handful of them works properly. Meanwhile the others like mine, needs to be sent back to Asus for repairs. I opted not to BC I didn't want to pay for shipping and having to wait for it to be returned back.

I'm pretty sure the problems for the N7 is BC the hardware can't handle it.

11-26-2014 03:45 PM
    Probably because Asus and its quality control (hardware) sucks. Since the launch of the N7, only a handful of them works properly. Meanwhile the others like mine, needs to be sent back to Asus for repairs. I opted not to BC I didn't want to pay for shipping and having to wait for it to be returned back.

I'm pretty sure the problems for the N7 is BC the hardware can't handle it.

Well wouldn't that be Google's problem? They are Nexus devices, after all.

11-26-2014 03:49 PM
    I'm just another voice in the wind that will be forgotten by the time you pass this post,

but, from what I have seen about lolliFlop, I am going to avoid it at all costs.

I just don't need the hassle of going through weeks of relearning an OS for my phone.

It works perfectly the way it is, why throw out a good thing with the dish water?
    11-26-2014 09:03 PM
    You know I keep seeing people having massive issues with 5.0 all over the place which had me scared with 3 Nexus devices getting the update. But, so far two of my Nexus 4s have been updated via OTA, with no reset, nothing lost, or changed and on both devices lollipop is running so smooth, better than KitKat IMO. I love the update so far! Now my Nexus 7-12 has yet to get the update, we'll see there, but I don't get all the negativity for this update. It has been almost flawless in my experience.

Posted via Android Central App with my Lollipop Nexus 4 on Cricket
    daihard2008 likes this.
    11-26-2014 09:32 PM
    i hate tyhe current status of lolipop
    3 of my major apps either crashed or say not usable go to web version. then my outlook emails were all put into gmail and eliminated my search capability
    my battery life is less than half what it was two weeks ago.
    qq has totally crashed
    no solutions , can not communicate with friends
    sad
    11-27-2014 01:45 AM
    You know I keep seeing people having massive issues with 5.0 all over the place which had me scared with 3 Nexus devices getting the update. But, so far two of my Nexus 4s have been updated via OTA, with no reset, nothing lost, or changed and on both devices lollipop is running so smooth, better than KitKat IMO. I love the update so far! Now my Nexus 7-12 has yet to get the update, we'll see there, but I don't get all the negativity for this update. It has been almost flawless in my experience.

Posted via Android Central App with my Lollipop Nexus 4 on Cricket
    To be fair, the N7 2012 is the device that's having the most problems with the update. I flashed mine back to KitKat. You might change your mind when it hits your N7.

My Nexus 5 is running perfectly fine with Lollipop.
    11-27-2014 03:02 AM
    Surely he doesn't.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-27-2014 05:18 AM
85 1234