Lollipop Update is junk

Justin Chang

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
WARNING! DO NOT DOWNLOAD LOLLIPOP UPDATE! I just got the update yesterday.This new update is junk and now multiple applications don't work properly. It has also added multiple useless steps just opening the phone, trying to dial a contact, looking at email. Skype doesn't work, the calender doesn't work properly. I called up customer support and I have been advised that now I can't get rid of the operating system and go back to KitKat so I have to spend hours just getting my normal apps to work properly. They couldn't even help with my non-functioning apps because they don't know enough about it. They referred me to the website for all my questions. Complete junk! Very pissed!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry you're experiencing such a bad update, but can you tell us which device you're using? Yes, an OS update is bound to run into issues, especially with un-updated apps that won't be ready from the get-go, but there are also a lot of users out there who are loving the Lollipop experience.

I haven't received an update since I have a carrier-branded Note 4, so I really can't attest to the pros and/or cons of Lollipop.

dduniam

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I agree, it's rubbish, I got it yesterday on my Nexus 10, but I will not be downloading it onto my N4 and N7.

Firstly, I don't like the look of it, and the new keyboard is awful. But worst of all, Light Flow crashes upon startup, and the Exchanges Services keeps crashing, and a pop-up message keeps appearing to tell me so, like every 10-15 seconds, interrupting whatever I'm doing at the time. Bloody annoying!

There are a few other apps that are misbehaving as well. I'm thinking of doing a factory reset to go back to KitKat, but I don't want to go through all that mucking about getting it setup back to how I have it. Seriously brassed off!

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
The apps will be updated, we've gone to a new runtime it'll take a while to adapt.

That said, I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like lollipop! It looks horrible, and they they've totally ruined the lock screen!

Wubba lubba dub dub!

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I got the update and had problems until I did a factory restore. Now it's fine. I like it. I have read posts by people who have updated with Android 5.0 and like it but I suppose they just don't know how bad it must be.

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I have a nexus 7 Wi-Fi 2013 and I have not gotten the update. I really am on the fence about getting it. I also have a droid turbo and am somewhat thankful that VZW and Moto will be awhile before I get it on the Turbo as they can fix the bugs and improve the things they messed up. I can live with a messed up N7 but would be seriously tick if my phone is messed up.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I am getting massive battery drain and yes I did a factory reset and partition wipe three times already. I wish I stayed with kit may instead of shoving this lollypop crap.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I am getting massive battery drain and yes I did a factory reset and partition wipe three times already. I wish I stayed with kit may instead of shoving this lollypop crap.

Yeah my battery seems pretty lousy, even for my nexus 4.

And is anyone else's sound a little off?

Wubba lubba dub dub!

loveroforcas

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I updated my Nexus 7 (2012) on Monday. I think this update has the potential to be good and I like the new keyboard coloring as well as the info on the lock screen. However, I have noticed quite a few problems. My apps crash and sometimes the entire tablet turns off for no reason at all. It freezes and lags all the time and don't even think about getting on Chrome (I've always had trouble with Chrome being slow but it is now unusable). Simple tasks that would have taken no time at all before the update now take forever. I have also noticed that my battery drains much faster since the update. My boyfriend is experiencing many of these same problems.

I'm giving Android the benefit of the doubt on this as glitches and bugs are to be expected with a new update just out of the gate, and I haven't had any significant problems with them in the past.

However, I would really like to see this fixed soon so that I can go back to using my tablet daily as I am accustomed to.

900TCP

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I have a Nexus 7 too, I got a notification of updates for mine their was no mention of upgrading the operating system to Android 5.0, anyways I allowed it to update then found out it was a update to Android 5.0, had I known it was a update to Android 5.0 I would have waited and searched the web to learn more, I was 100% happy with what I had everything was working perfectly.

Now I have a few apps that does not work and wont start.

I really dont care for any of the cosmetic changes and function changes they have made like the direction I have to swipe the screen to unlock it, after swiping 10k times in the past I now have to change directions to unlock my tablet, also now their is notifications when I am trying to unlock my device, I liked where the old notifications were kept.

I wish their was a way to uninstall Android 5.0 and restore my tablet back to where it was before the upgrade.

I wish they would have MADE IT CLEAR your UPGRADING TO Android 5.0!

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
WARNING!!! IGNORE THE ORIGINAL POST!!!
"The new update is junk." Now that's specific. I don't find it to be junk.
"Multiiple applications won't work." I'm so glad it's more than one and just as glad that the OP doesn't bother to say which applications don't work. Once I did a restore to factory I had a few apps that didn't appear but all that did, worked fine. I have four dictionaries, two that I paid for, YouTube, Google Maps, Kindle, Chrome, and a metric converter app and they all work fine.
"It also has multiple useless steps just to open the phone." That must be unique to your phone. My Nexus 5 opens the same as before. I did have to use GMail as an email client but my email opens just like it did before.
I was also aware that once I started the process to upgrade to Android 5.0, Android 4.4.4 would be history and recovering it would be a major operation. I'm sure they just told me, though.

But, I did understand the OP was pissed. Oh, very pissed.

mrjspeed

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Once I did a restore to factory I had a few apps that didn't appear but all that did, worked fine.

I keep seeing this from a lot of users on here. You'll have to forgive my ignorance since I just now have my first real Android phone, but are you saying that you applied 5.0 and that it didn't take so well so you had to do a factory reset and now it's fine? I'm thinking about side loading L on my Moto X 2014 since Motorola has obviously put a hold on the OTA rollout, but I don't like the idea of having to factory reset. Wont you lose a lot of data/game progress/etc?

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I keep seeing this from a lot of users on here. You'll have to forgive my ignorance since I just now have my first real Android phone, but are you saying that you applied 5.0 and that it didn't take so well so you had to do a factory reset and now it's fine? I'm thinking about side loading L on my Moto X 2014 since Motorola has obviously put a hold on the OTA rollout, but I don't like the idea of having to factory reset. Wont you lose a lot of data/game progress/etc?

If you factory reset, yes, you will lose app data. It varies by app, however. Some games have a backup feature (either though Google Play or through some other login), but others will not save your progress. Same goes with regular apps. Check to see if they have a back-up/restore option in their settings. Also, Google does back up some information themselves, and any apps you had installed will automatically be reinstalled upon logging in to your Google account after the reset (assuming you installed them through Google Play).

Just FYI: sideloading Lollipop requires a factory reset as part of the process. If you don't want to do that, wait for the OTA and do a cache wipe after it updates.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I havent got a new update for 5.0 but man im loving Lollipop...not sure what everyones problem is. OK some apps dont work but im sure its the developers whom have had many months to get 5.0 ready and dropped the ball. Love the new lock screen.