Lollipop Update is junk

mark hamilton4

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I agree with the OP. Downloading lollipop has been my worst mistake in the 5 years I've had android devices. Now have no flash capability. Tried downloading flashfox but as that crashed every 10 seconds I had to uninstall it. MXplayer cannot be played, the system crashes without fail every hour, takes forever to load a page. Chrome is unusable as is puffin (which I downloaded for flash support)
When I hit the back button a completely different app will open up, basically my nexus 10 has been rendered useless and to say I'm pissed off is an understatement indeed.
If I knew how to safely go back to kit kat I wouldn't have a seconds thought.

frankenhooker

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Thousands of bricked N7 devices lie resting because of the 5.0 OTA. Beware.
Massive overreaction that, scaremongering really. Lollipop doesn't seem to be running too well on the Nexus 7, especially the 2012 model, but I highly doubt its bricking devices, especially in their thousands.

My own device's performance nosedived, I went back to Cyanogenmod, now its fine.

dduniam

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I agree, it's rubbish, I got it yesterday on my Nexus 10, but I will not be downloading it onto my N4 and N7.

Firstly, I don't like the look of it, and the new keyboard is awful. But worst of all, Light Flow crashes upon startup, and the Exchanges Services keeps crashing, and a pop-up message keeps appearing to tell me so, like every 10-15 seconds, interrupting whatever I'm doing at the time. Bloody annoying!

There are a few other apps that are misbehaving as well. I'm thinking of doing a factory reset to go back to KitKat, but I don't want to go through all that mucking about getting it setup back to how I have it. Seriously brassed off!

I still think Lollipop is crap, but things are on the improve. I deleted my Corporate account (to eliminate the constant Exchange Services crashes) and downloaded Nine Exchange ActiveSync - it works like a peach :) And the folks behind Light Flow are on the job, I got an update over night, and it now works fine. Plus, from another thread, I was able to re-install the original Gallery app and re-installed Media Organizer, so I'm back in business there as well. I still have a few apps that are having problems, but overall I now have a usable tablet again. I'd still prefer to go back to KitKat, but I'm afraid that's one for the "too-hard" basket.

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Updated N7 1st gen and it now resembles a petrified dinosaur turd. Just hideously slow and plodding - have followed all the on line recommendations regarding cache etc - it's unusable

frankenhooker

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure this isn't just scaremongering?
He hasn't bricked his device, its sluggish, but its not broken, it can be restored.

Personally, I don't think much of Lollipop on the N7 2012, but devices being bricked via the OTA update is very rare, so rare I haven't read about any, it's certainly not in the thousands as you implied.

Peter Aspinall

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Bricking includes making te experience cr#p. This is with out doubt the worse upgrade I have ever seen! I manage a massive VM server farm, a hge Cisco network plus over 5k PCs and we cope with another cvompasnies poor performance but this??? I epould sack managers and lead developers. You can destroy a reputation easily. Ipad looks good.

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Bricking includes making te experience cr#p. This is with out doubt the worse upgrade I have ever seen! I manage a massive VM server farm, a hge Cisco network plus over 5k PCs and we cope with another cvompasnies poor performance but this??? I epould sack managers and lead developers. You can destroy a reputation easily. Ipad looks good.

And I would sack someone who writes so poorly and makes so many typos.

Posted via the Android Central App

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I guess I'm lucky. I got the OTA for my nexus 5 a day or so ago and the OTA took about 20 minutes, I wiped my cache partition and lollipop is simply brilliant. I can't say enough good things about it.

frankenhooker

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I guess I'm lucky. I got the OTA for my nexus 5 a day or so ago and the OTA took about 20 minutes, I wiped my cache partition and lollipop is simply brilliant. I can't say enough good things about it.

Its working perfectly fine on my Nexus 5, my N7 2012 really struggled though, so much so I had to get rid of lollipop. I'll give it a month and have another look at it.

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Its working perfectly fine on my Nexus 5, my N7 2012 really struggled though, so much so I had to get rid of lollipop. I'll give it a month and have another look at it.

Same here. Flashed the factory image on both my Nexus 5 and my 2012 Nexus 7. The former is working beautifully. Like you, the 2012 N7 is pretty slow, but for my purposes (mainly reading e-books with occasional social media), it isn't too bad. I had AOKP 4.4.4 on it before, and the device was already slow.

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
This is specific the the first gen N7 - I expect Lollipop to work fine w/ my Moto X but the N7?may try to turn it into a digital Picture Frame or something besides a paperweight

TeritorialDemon

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
We need to remember that quite a large amount of people were complaining about getting the new OS version. Crying for the new OS. Google took Android L to a whole new level. This means many changes and takes time when this happens. I personally think L should have waited until it was fully ready to be released.

Peekaboo Patty

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I have Nexus 5 and I do not care for Lollipop. Battery life is awful, I do not want all my email linked through one account and I do not get notifications anymore of new messages. I also do not want all my contacts linked. I unselected that options but they are still limked. I would really like to uninstall Lollipop. Can this be done?

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
WARNING! DO NOT DOWNLOAD LOLLIPOP UPDATE!

Just because you're having issues doesn't mean everyone is. And btw, every new OS has issues. No exceptions. Even IOS (iphone's OS) had MAJOR issues recently. You probably did an upgrade ota which isn't the best way to do it. Most people that did a clean install report very few issues. I myself flashed the factory image and couldn't be happier.

Do a factory reset which may help. What device are you using?

Every time any company releases a new OS we have to read posts like this, and then get warnings from people not to upgrade. <sigh> When kitkat was released, it was the same thing. Some things never change..........

I have Nexus 5 and I do not care for Lollipop. Battery life is awful, I do not want all my email linked through one account and I do not get notifications anymore of new messages. I also do not want all my contacts linked. I unselected that options but they are still limked. I would really like to uninstall Lollipop. Can this be done?

Do a factory reset before giving up, or flash the factory image from here: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

I also have a nexus 5, and it works perfectly for me. But I used the factory image, did not do the ota upgrade.

How can I undo this??? How to 'get rid' of lollipop?
See factory image link above and follow the directions.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Honestly don't know what to think. Pick a device and seemingly half the users say "works great, best update evah!" and half the users say "the HORROR, worst update evah!" There are enough people having real problems that they can't all be cranks and trolls, so IMO there's reasonable doubt. I'm going to wait until there's a 5.01 release for my devices. Kit Kat works perfect fine.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta