Another of my Nexus devices is now wanting to install Lollipop. Can I get rid of the notification and tell it to sod off please (I can't swipe it away) ?
    tonyr6 likes this.
    11-21-2014 01:19 AM
    All you can do at this point is ignore it. At some point, it might force the update, though. You could consider rooting the device and freezing the "Update Device" app in Settings>Apps>All​. (As it is, you can't disable it if unrooted.)
    dduniam likes this.
    11-21-2014 12:42 PM
    All you can do at this point is ignore it. At some point, it might force the update, though. You could consider rooting the device and freezing the "Update Device" app in Settings>Apps>All​. (As it is, you can't disable it if unrooted.)
    Thanks for the reply, I kinda thought that might be the case.

It seems like Google are taking a few leaves out Apple's book of customer treatment, i.e. behaving like fascist Nazis.
    11-21-2014 04:38 PM
    You dont even have to root, all you need to do is to ignore the notification

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-21-2014 05:24 PM
    Re: "You dont even have to root, all you need to do is to ignore the notification"

That isn't a solution since it throws the update screen with touch buttons in front of everything you do every minute or so.
    04-07-2015 03:42 PM
    So Google basically forces you to update? Isn't that too much?

Re: "You dont even have to root, all you need to do is to ignore the notification"

That isn't a solution since it throws the update screen with touch buttons in front of everything you do every minute or so.
    Someone needs to tell Google to give people a choice. Android is about freedom and options right? So if someone does not want to update(or in this case downgrade), they should have the option to do so. Forcing an update goes against everything Android is about.
    04-07-2015 03:57 PM
    But not accepting updates worsens the fragmentation problem. Unless the phone is at the end of its lifecycle, it's better for the Android ecosystem in general for devices to be as up-to-date as possible. But I agree, if the updates are problematic, then it's a big hassle to be forced to update.
    04-07-2015 07:10 PM
    "Google is open" doesn't mean you can do whatever you want. It means you can compile your own ROM from AOSP that behaves however you want it to.
    04-07-2015 09:10 PM
    Another of my Nexus devices is now wanting to install Lollipop. Can I get rid of the notification and tell it to sod off please (I can't swipe it away) ?
    You may not have to root your phone to get rid of the unwanted Lollipop notification. I got rid of the 5.0.2 notification on my unrooted Nexus 7 (2013) tablet, thanks to instructions from Brosko, another participant on these forums. Here's what he said:

"You can disabled the notification for the update by long pressing it then selecting app info and then when it takes you to the play services app info screen uncheck the enable notifications box to disable notifications."

I followed his instructions, and the 5.0.2 notification hasn't returned. I was at first worried that all notifications would stop, including those from Play Store, but that's not the case. The only notification that no longer appears is the one for 5.0.2. My Nexus 7 (2013) is very happy to stay on KitKat 4.4.4.

I hope this helps.
    04-08-2015 07:29 AM