How do I display only contacts with phone numbers on Lollipop?

AdrianFloresF

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
This IS an issue when I'm trying to make a call or make a text and having to scroll down 80% of my contacts that have no phone numbers. What's the POINT?

You can still type the name. It's faster. I complained about this too, but then I realize that it's really not that useful.

May 19, 2015
Visit site
I'm glad to see that others are having this issue as well, but apparently there has been no resolution at all. :( I spent hours on the phone today with both Samsung and Google essentially getting the runaround and no one seemed to be able to get me in contact with someone that could say for sure if/when this feature will be restored. I can't believe this is something that many more people are upset about. It is totally frustrating that there doesn't even seem to be anyway to get answers or give feedback to these companies.

Calvin Do

May 18, 2015
Visit site
Potential fix that I did:

1. Show all contacts, and merge them.
2. Go through the rest of the contacts that has no phone #, and delete them off.

I figure deleting contacts won't affect your actual account, example, deleting a facebook contact with no phone # will not cause your actual facebook account to de-friend them. You will still have them on your FB account.

I personally don't even understand why or what I need these contacts for that has no #. Useless.

Now, all that shows are contacts w/ phone numbers. Going forward, I'm going to start adding contacts into the device only. Eventually, I'm going to move all the other remnant contacts into device as well, then delete off every single contacts from my other accounts, whether they have phone # or not. This is getting really stupid.

May 19, 2015
Visit site
I emailed Samsung's Office of the President yesterday evening mostly about the appalling customer service that I received from them yesterday, but they did say they were going to forward my concerns over this issue on to someone so perhaps we will get a fix for this issue some day. Of course, their response didn't even begin to address my concerns so it is likely that this won't even get forwarded to anyone.

potatoesse

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
I hate it when people turn a simple question on a forum into a place for pointless suggestions and arguments. Example, adrianflores if your only answer is for everyone to live with it, why even log in to post such an irrelevant reply?

Anyways, thats my rant as well, heres my solution:

Try "Simpler Contacts & Dialer" from Google Play. It is super clean compared to Google illogical dialer. It still feels like Lollipop, comes with good merge detection for duplicate contacts and has "Show only contacts with phones" option.

AdrianFloresF

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I hate it when people turn a simple question on a forum into a place for pointless suggestions and arguments. Example, adrianflores if your only answer is for everyone to live with it, why even log in to post such an irrelevant reply?

Anyways, thats my rant as well, heres my solution:

Try "Simpler Contacts & Dialer" from Google Play. It is super clean compared to Google illogical dialer. It still feels like Lollipop, comes with good merge detection for duplicate contacts and has "Show only contacts with phones" option.

What are you ranting about, mate? Read all my comments. I initially posted in this forum because I too wanted to find a way to only show mobile contacts in the list. It annoyed me at the time. What you read (and missinterpreted) was my response to someone talking about a "fix" for something that doesn't need "fixing", not because is not a problem for a lot of people, but because it's not something that is working improperly or missbehaving. Even in that comment I said thath I wish it wasn't that way. Typing the name or adding favorites is still a better option than installing a bloated third party app, IMO. Don't like that suggestion? Don't try it.

Leffes

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
This is quite a big problem for us where i work.
We have several 1000 users with android phones and we have exhange enviroment.
And oulook saves all e-mail adresses in "suggested contacts".
Before Lollipop we could easy set "show only contacts with phonen numbers".
To get the users phones to show just the contacts they them self added.
But on phones running Lollipop they have huge amount of contacts with only e-mail.

I cant honest understand why they removed that option.
Almost every day we have users who get new phones and gets really annoyed because of it.
So I really hope there will be a "fix".
Since even if they empty the "suggested contacts" "map" in outlook.
Most of them will have several hundreds new contacts at the end of the day.
Since the amount of e-mail they get in there work.

vjclough

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
I had a HTC One it loaded contacts to my car without any trouble. I now have a OnePlus 2 it just won't load them it initially said it was because there were too many contact now it just falls over and will not do anything. All other aspects of the Phone work well with the car just not the contacts.

Xam Vang

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Glad I found this thread. Google and their "great" ideas... looks like the solution for now is to go with a third party Dailer/Contact app.

Mike S8

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Very annoying that all contacts show up in search that you e-mailed once. Not necessarily a contact at all. This is what I did to fix:
• Remove Google account
• Reinstall Google account
• Quickly go to Google account settings and turn off contact synch.
Worked for me…

keaneland

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
My work vehicle has got a terrible hands free kit that continuously breaks down because it can't handle contacts without phone numbers.

TwitchyPuppy

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Re: How to display only contacts with phone number on Lollipop

I do not know if it is Lollipop 5.1 or HTC, but I have this in Phone --> People --> Settings.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 1193.jpg
    1193.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 55

AxeDroid

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
I'm on Galaxy A8, Lollipop 5.1.1
I figured it this way to show contact as I want ... No extra App required (at least for me)

1. Go to contacts > More > Settings
2. Click "Contacts to Display"
3. Choose from the available accounts/list

Contacts.jpg
I hope this helps someone

Last edited:

Narsimha Reddy

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
For some ppl its not an issue but others may like to have their contacts numbers and email ids in separate apps.

So latest androids versions 4.x and 5.x don’t have that “contacts with numbers only” option in stock phone app as earlier, so here is a way I helped myself with the problem on my Moto G1.

1.take backup of your phone book with whatever app you are comfortable with and save that file for safe side in your mail.

2.Disable the google contacts sync by going to Android settings app, settings>accounts>google>Accounts Sync gmail id
Screenshot_2016-01-19-20-27-08.png

3.download these two tiny apps from playstore, A)Contacts2vcf B)Delete All Contacts.

Screenshot_2016-01-19-20-28-05.pngScreenshot_2016-01-19-20-36-55.png
The cotacts2vcf app, can read only the contacts with phone numbers, Use that app to write those contacts to a vcf file and save it.
Now your "contacts with phone numbers only" are saved in a vcf file in your phone memory (have a note of the location where it was saved).

Use the Delete all contacts app to delete the contacts which are there in the phone memory.

So by now you left with no contacts in your phone, next thing is to download the backed up contacts by contacts2vcf.

4.Now open the vcf file earlier saved, by this all numbers only contacts will be in your stock phone app.

I hope it helps you.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo