04-21-2016 06:40 PM
77 1234
tools
    So far since only disabling my tasker profiles that unlock the screen using secure settings, I have not had a single black screen on my n5 or n6 both on 5.0
    12-05-2014 10:20 AM
    Getting this still on 5.0.1.

Very sloppy and disappointing of Google.
    12-05-2014 10:41 PM
    Getting this still on 5.0.1.

Very sloppy and disappointing of Google.
    I don't think this is googles fault. You are on the latest and greatest version of android. Google changed the way they do things, now it is other devs responsibility to catch up. This is why they put out the Dev preview. Now that I am on a final l release, I see this problem still persisted. I had the same prob in the l preview once smart lock was introduced. Now I see that tasker & secure settings are the cause. Due to the fact that they are not up-to-date with the changes in how android accomplishes certain tasks.
    12-06-2014 06:48 AM
    I don't think this is googles fault. You are on the latest and greatest version of android. Google changed the way they do things, now it is other devs responsibility to catch up. This is why they put out the Dev preview. Now that I am on a final l release, I see this problem still persisted. I had the same prob in the l preview once smart lock was introduced. Now I see that tasker & secure settings are the cause. Due to the fact that they are not up-to-date with the changes in how android accomplishes certain tasks.
    Hm, I guess I should try to pay more attention to what app is opened/opening the next time it happens, but if I'm not mistaken, the few times it's happened to me were during going Home via the home button and app switching with the App Switcher button. And I believe once when I pulled down the notification shade twice to go to Settings.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but that's what's happened to me before.
    12-06-2014 01:52 PM
    I've had the same problems - getting a black screen and only seeing notifications and the 3 buttons, and not being able to get out of that mode unless rebooting. Then just opening an app and pressing something like Home got me there again.
    It started a few days after installing Lollipop on my rooted Nexus 5, which I did about 2 weeks ago using Nexus Root Toolkit to flash back the stock recovery, I had TWRP, and then installing the OTA the normal way. This way I got to keep all apps+data.
    When it happened the first time I tried rebooting but same thing happened over and over for hours. First after about 3 hours it stopped and everything worked fine, very strange indeed. Then it took about 2 days and started happening again.

I got tired of it and thought it had something to do with me not factory resetting the device (wiping cache+user data) after installing Lollipop so I did that. After only a day I started getting the same issue again. I tried wiping the cache directly, same problem. I could only do a few actions (eg. opening drawer and uninstalling an app) before getting a black screen. I started searching and found this thread and realized it might be some app causing it. Since several people blamed Tasked I uninstalled that and rebooted, didn't help. It could still be Tasker for some people I think depending on what rules you have set up. The next suspicious app I had was No Lock Screen, com.futonredemption.nokeyguard, (I'm not allowed to link) which I uninstalled. After that I haven't gotten the black screen again, tried rebooting also and nothing yet. Since it disappeared right after uninstalling I assume that app was the culprit.
    To verify I reinstalled it and gonna see if the problem comes back. I'll let you know!

I recommend people having this issue and having apps that do stuff related to the lock screen do uninstall them one by one and see if it helps.
    If you find one like I (hopefully) did, list it here and we can together understand this problem and hopefully make app developers or Google change how things work so this can't happen.

Cheers
    12-06-2014 02:44 PM
    I've had the same problems - getting a black screen and only seeing notifications and the 3 buttons, and not being able to get out of that mode unless rebooting. Then just opening an app and pressing something like Home got me there again.
    It started a few days after installing Lollipop on my rooted Nexus 5, which I did about 2 weeks ago using Nexus Root Toolkit to flash back the stock recovery, I had TWRP, and then installing the OTA the normal way. This way I got to keep all apps+data.
    When it happened the first time I tried rebooting but same thing happened over and over for hours. First after about 3 hours it stopped and everything worked fine, very strange indeed. Then it took about 2 days and started happening again.

I got tired of it and thought it had something to do with me not factory resetting the device (wiping cache+user data) after installing Lollipop so I did that. After only a day I started getting the same issue again. I tried wiping the cache directly, same problem. I could only do a few actions (eg. opening drawer and uninstalling an app) before getting a black screen. I started searching and found this thread and realized it might be some app causing it. Since several people blamed Tasked I uninstalled that and rebooted, didn't help. It could still be Tasker for some people I think depending on what rules you have set up. The next suspicious app I had was No Lock Screen, com.futonredemption.nokeyguard, (I'm not allowed to link) which I uninstalled. After that I haven't gotten the black screen again, tried rebooting also and nothing yet. Since it disappeared right after uninstalling I assume that app was the culprit.
    To verify I reinstalled it and gonna see if the problem comes back. I'll let you know!

I recommend people having this issue and having apps that do stuff related to the lock screen do uninstall them one by one and see if it helps.
    If you find one like I (hopefully) did, list it here and we can together understand this problem and hopefully make app developers or Google change how things work so this can't happen.

Cheers
    I 100% agree with ripern. It appears to be anything that enables/disables the lockscreen
    ripern and Bill Farquharson like this.
    12-06-2014 03:08 PM
    Hey guys,

I had the same problem and deactivated tasker and secure settings. Since then I haven't been getting the black screen. I emailed Corey the author of Secure Settings about it and he adviced me to do that:

You can do this by:

Opening Secure Settings
    Go to the Preferences
    Click the "Pattern Unlock Method [4.1+]" option
    Choose "Lock Settings (Experimental)"

So far it is working for me with tasker and secure settings enabled. I have them disabling the lockscreen as soon I get in my home network.
    So if you have a similar setup and want to try go ahead. I will report back our findings to secure settings.

Edit: Alright, please just forget what I wrote. The black screen is back...
    12-09-2014 09:53 AM
    Yeah, this black screen thing sort of sucks. Happens randomly about once a week. Can't make heads or tails of it. It seems to happen the most when I just hit the Home button or App Switcher button.
    12-09-2014 09:26 PM
    I do not have this issue, factory reset after lollipop install

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-09-2014 09:41 PM
    Some interesting observations here. I have been experiencing the same issue, the now BSOD of Android Lollipop it would seem.

First off just want to vent a little bit about my Lollipop experience in general. I’ve ran 4 Android devices dating back to 4.1 and have been happy with all of them, most recently my Nexus 5 which I have loved since day 1. Kitkat was rock solid. I also found that my Tasker location profiles for disabling/enabling PIN for lock screen was pretty much bullet proof on my N5/4.4 combo, definitely the greatest success I’ve had with that Tasker profile.

Right off, my lock screen profile never worked properly when I upgraded to Lollipop. Not long after I began experiencing issues – started with Hangouts scrambling the order of my hangouts and SMS messages, randomly on every open, then Bluetooth issues, cutting in and out, reboots during phone calls.. ridiculous. I finally got fed up and decided to factory reset, instead rooting the phone with NR Toolkit, so a fresh image nonetheless. I tried to be as systematic as possible bringing apps back into the fold. I thought I actually had the lock screen working (think it worked once) but no dice. As some of you suspected (at least with the BSODs) I was thinking NOVA… for the lock screen issues I was thinking maybe Swiftkey since it changes the keyboard but I can’t seem to really prove that either caused either of these issues.

Today I had a BSOD which seemed to happen right after a tasker profile enabled. Not sure if any of you are doing this but I started to put a Popup in my tasker profile to tell me when it was trying to enable or re-enable my PIN code. Seemed like right after I clicked to dismiss the popup it went to the black screen of death. My PIN enable/disable profiles are WiFi based but I also use Cell near to turn on and off my WiFi. It does seem logical that Google’s “Smart” screen lock could be conflicting with Secure Settings and/or Tasker. I am using the Secure Settings BETA but it has not seemed to help. Tried the Pattern lock as well (Root required) to no avail.

My BSOD haven’t been super frequent – maybe 2 – 3 times a week so it’s not killing me but I may still disable Tasker to find out. PIN disable/enable is the main thing I use Tasker for.

All in all, very disappointing and I am considering investigating how to get back to KitKat.

Appreciate everyone’s input here in tracking down this problem. Hopefully it will get some traction soon either on Google’s or the DEVs side.
    12-10-2014 07:32 PM
    Just did a factory reset - restoring data now. Tasker/SecureSettings are a must have for me - and if Google is telling me I cant use them, surely sets android back a bit. Am hoping all of these issues are resolved in 5.0.1 when it comes around for nexus 5. The BSODs are an embarrassment and am sure an OS dev would consider them as such - so, 5.0.1 should address it. (And yes, share the exact same view on how solid kitkat/nexus5/tasker profiles have been - and loved them - lollipop is so far a massive disappointment from a stability perspective.)
    12-11-2014 12:56 AM
    The next suspicious app I had was No Lock Screen, com.futonredemption.nokeyguard, (I'm not allowed to link) which I uninstalled. After that I haven't gotten the black screen again, tried rebooting also and nothing yet. Since it disappeared right after uninstalling I assume that app was the culprit.
    So now it's been 9 days since my problem post. Since I reinstalled No Lock Screen I suspected to get the black screen again and after about 1.5-2 days I did. I was sort of happy to see it since it proved something. Then I uninstalled No Lock Screen (again). Seeing it's now been another 7 days I can say with 99.99% certainty that No Lock Screen was the cause of the black screen for me.

I hope everyone else here will also find which app(s) is causing this in your specific case. I'll report this to the author to see if he/she can do something about it. Otherwise hopefully Google will.

Good Luck!
    12-14-2014 09:50 PM
    Can confirm that Lollipop 5.0.1 does not resolve the issue. On my n5 this happens exclusively using Textra, and I actually thought it was a problem with their app until I contacted them and they'd never heard of it. After poking around I came across this forum / thread, so clearly it isn't just them. I wish someone would come up with a fix; it's beyond annoying to have to power cycle my phone multiple times a day! It's strange that I only started having trouble the last week or so, since I installed Lollipop around 4 weeks ago.
    12-20-2014 04:57 PM
    Have you tried uninstalling Textra and wait 2 days? Otherwise check which apps you have installed since the problem started. Especially be suspicious towards apps that have screen lock permissions.
    biodorkus likes this.
    12-21-2014 08:16 AM
    I haven't tried yet, no... I hate to get rid of it because I really like Textra and this is the first I've had any trouble with it, but I guess I'll have to download another messaging app and see if it does better. Although another SMS app is likely to have screen lock permissions as well, right? Seems like it always happens when using the quick reply and I read the message but don't send a response.
    12-22-2014 04:07 PM
    First time I post to a Forum... I'm 99.99% I found the issue, so I'd like to share it with everyone.
    Sorry if it's quite long, but I thought a nice summary would be helpful.
    For sure, there are conflicts in the lockscreen management between Lollipop (with and without Smart Lock!) and all 3rd party apps (Tasker, Secure Settings, etc).
    My configuration:
    * Nexus 4, non-rooted, stock Lollipop 5.0 OTA and later 5.01
    * Tasker & Secure Settings
    * Nova Launcher
    I have several Tasker Profiles, that among other things disable the lockscreen (via Secure Settings) when either at Home (Location based), in my Car (Bluetooth) or at Work (Location)
    I have the exact same symptoms described in another thread:
    The screen will randomly go black except for the 3 soft buttons at the bottom and the notification bar up top. I can pull the notification bar down and see notifications, but a click on one that would normally open another screen just reverts the entire screen to black. I tried rotating the screen, hitting all the buttons available,etc, but the only fix is a reboot.
    (My personal note: if I leave the phone unattended for a few hours, or overnight, the phone will even shut down completely!)
    I tried several black magic suggestions found around the web, none of which work for me:
    A supposedly Chrome memory problem if relegated to the background for a long time. The suggested workaround:
    * chrome://flags --> find "Delegated Renderer" and select Enable. Doesn't work
    Other suggestions:
    * Turn Bluetooth and/or WiFi on & off
    * use the notifications pulldown to turn Wi-Fi off and then back on again, or toggle airplane mode
    What I did:
    * Reverted the Chrome workaround (didn't make any difference)
    * Kept all my Tasker/Secure Settings configurations
    * Disabled Smart Lock
    Didn't fix it: so..... it's NOT Tasker or S.S: conflicting with Smart Lock
    * Disabled Tasker/S.S:
    * Enabled Smart Lock

Success. No black screens!

* Enabled Tasker & modified my Tasks to avoid locking/unlocking via S.S
    * allow Smart Lock to manage screen locking based on location & bluetooth

Now working like a charm for the past 10 days
    (btw: I strongly recommend rebooting the phone everytime you make these changes: otherwise some settings sometimes don't seem to take immediate effect).

The caveats with Lollipop:
    * when I switch on the display in a Safe Zone, I don't go directly to the home screen anymore, but have to swipe up every time (thank you, Smart Lock! :-()
    * I use Greenify to kill background apps and save battery. The app has a nifty softkey, that you can place on the homescreen, that when tapped will 'greenify' AND switch off the display (saving 50% of wear & tear on the power switch). However, when you switch back on and swipe up :-( , you must also re-enter your pin/password! (I found another thread confirming this behaviour). The only way to avoid re-entering the pin/psw is to switch-off via the power switch (therefore partially defeating the scope of the softkey..). Seems like you can't have your cake and eat it...

I tested yesterday with 5.01. and sure enough, the original Tasker/Secure Settings still have the same problems (my phone was completely switched-off this morning).
    On a side note, Tasker recently published two updates in just 2-3 days, first removing its native keyguard function, then re-enabling it. I'll try that instead of Secure Settings, and will post the results in the coming days.
    Happy holidays to everyone!

UPDATE
    * Disabled Smart Lock
    * used Tasker's native 'keyguard' command

Got the black screen in less then 2 hours...
    Too bad, it was really nice jumping directly to the home screen w/o swiping.... oh well....
    researchmonster likes this.
    12-24-2014 03:44 AM
    I can confirm , after disabling tasker and the profile I had for turning the KeyLock On I had no more Black screens. I have been running like this for weeks.
    I will be using the shortcut from Power tools to disable Lock till this is solved by Lolipop or tasker.
    12-26-2014 12:45 PM
    Yes,
    I am having the same black screen issue when I set tasker to disable lock screen when my pebble is connected. Did you ever find a solution? I have set my lockscreen to turn off when connected to home wi-fi with no issues, but that is less cool than using my pebble connection.
    12-27-2014 01:54 PM
    My nexus 4 goes totally black.
    12-28-2014 11:21 AM
    Have you tried uninstalling Textra and wait 2 days? Otherwise check which apps you have installed since the problem started. Especially be suspicious towards apps that have screen lock permissions.
    I haven't tried yet, no... I hate to get rid of it because I really like Textra and this is the first I've had any trouble with it, but I guess I'll have to download another messaging app and see if it does better. Although another SMS app is likely to have screen lock permissions as well, right? Seems like it always happens when using the quick reply and I read the message but don't send a response.
    Update: I should have thought to try this before, but ripern's mention of screen lock permissions made me think I should see if there's a feature I can disable within Textra to avoid this. I checked the settings and disabled "Quick Compose" since that allows replies from the notification drawer and seemed to be when I would have issues. It's been several days now, and no black screen! Thanks much for the suggestion. It was nice to have that option, but I can certainly live without it to keep the phone running smoothly.
    12-28-2014 06:54 PM
    After working flawlessly for 2 weeks as described previously (Smart Lock handling Secure Zones, Tasker everything else), today I got 2 black screens, one of which completely black (no notification shade, no buttons...nothing).
    Had to reboot in both cases.

Since none of my Tasker profiles, plug-ins or apps are messing with the lockscreen, display etc, I must assume this is an Android 5.x problem (maybe the use of 3rd party apps is just making it more frequent or more probable).
    12-29-2014 11:09 AM
    This is the first problem I have had with my phone since installing 5.0/5.0.1. I sent a phone call from Avast Mobile Security to my phone to test the connection and the screen immediately went black on my phone (Only top and bottom bars showing). The only way out of it was to wait for the phone call to end or to turn off the phone. I just cleared cache and dalvik cache in recovery and I will see if it happens again. I don't use the tasker app.
    01-02-2015 07:58 AM
    Same problem here. And I'm almost 100% sure that Textra is the source of my problems.

Textra 2.22, Android 5.0.1 on Nexus 5, not rooted.
    Quick compose option in Textra disabled, but to no help... Every other thing I could think of didn't help either. Only reboot.
    01-21-2015 11:11 AM
    Hi all, same trouble here, I experienced this with Nexus 4 and with LG G2 running CM 12.
    After reading you it seems pretty clear that either tasker or Play serves with its smart lock depending on zone are the culprits of this.
    Its a pitty because you espect google does things well but anyway, we will have to disable it.
    It happends to me every single day when I wake up. Is there any post in google forums?
    01-28-2015 01:28 AM
    Same thing happening to me. New nexus 5, recently upgraded to Lollipop. Only happens when using quick compose with Textra. Only solution so far is to reboot phone...
    01-29-2015 10:12 AM
77 1234