Since lollipop there's no such thing as real reboot anymore (in my opinion).
    I liked the idea of, time to time, rebooting my device to clean opened apps, but since lollipop apps keep staying in the background.
    does anyone know if it's possible to force close apps on reboot?

11-24-2014 08:21 AM
    I'm not sure I understand the issue. Android has always kept certain apps open in the background--see these articles:

RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central

You can always reboot by powering completely off, then powering back on again. That starts you with a clean slate of RAM, but of course, the system will start opening some apps in the background to be ready to use.
    daihard2008 likes this.
    11-24-2014 12:27 PM
    no it won't since lollipop
    i mean, say i launch, 9gag, youtube, vlc, or whatever "non system apps"; they appear in the recent apps "tourniquet"....
    well before lollipop, rebooting closed those apps and pressing the recent apps button after reboot showed nothing.
    however since lollipop, a reboot won't close those apps anymore, after the reboot, you'll have those exact same recent apps you launched before the reboot
    11-24-2014 12:30 PM
    Oh, I see what you're saying. The Recent Apps list doesn't necessarily reflect apps that are actively open in RAM, though. It's more accurate to look at Settings>Apps>Running. I've read various complaints about how the Recent Apps list functions now, and that's one of them. But I don't think it's a reflection of any new way of handling RAM.

I'll test it out myself.

EDIT: Ok, just tried it myself. An app I had opened right before powering off still shows up in the Recent Apps list, but is not shown as Running in the Settings>Apps>Running menu. Other apps opened automatically upon powering up, but these were to be expected, based on what my typical usage is, and the apps themselves.
    11-24-2014 12:56 PM
    Android's recent apps switcher is often misunderstood, which has led to your misperception. It is not and has never been, as in WebOS, a list of running apps. It is a list of apps you've used recently. To use an analogy, think of it less as tabs in a web browser and more as a web history: it's a quick way to see where you've been and go back to it. It has no relationship to what's actually running in the background: in fact running apps don't even necessarily show up in the recent apps list. They're two separate things.
    B. Diddy and acentralmt like this.
    11-24-2014 01:43 PM
    ah ok good to know, thanks !
    11-24-2014 01:45 PM