Android 5.0.1

asherN

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I love it! Of course now we have Inbox which breaks it up again....

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 via Android Central App

I wouldn't hate the integration quite as much if I could hide my email account handled by Inbox.

I have 4 email accounts. 2 of which are work on Exchange. I liked having them segregated. The third is workish. and the fourth is straight gmail.com, personnal. Handled with Inbox. If I could get the Gmail app to hide that one, I'd be OK.

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't hate the integration quite as much if I could hide my email account handled by Inbox.

I have 4 email accounts. 2 of which are work on Exchange. I liked having them segregated. The third is workish. and the fourth is straight gmail.com, personnal. Handled with Inbox. If I could get the Gmail app to hide that one, I'd be OK.

I don't know if you can hide the Gmail account from Gmail, but you can disable its notifications. :)

markst

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Nothing here yet on Nexus 9, Nexus 7 2012, and Nexus 7 2013. Is there a way to force the device to get 5.01, without it being rooted..

Epwhamilton

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Personally I disliked the old Gallery app as it just seemed too far removed from the whole Google ecosystem... I, for one, prefer the Photos app. I would actually prefer Apple's approach and design (and that's about it from the Apple side btw

Posted via Android Central App

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Why did Google see fit to integrate all the email accounts into Gmail? It is slow, clumsy and counter intuitive. To have the option of doing it would have been fine, but to be forced into it blows.

I've had 5.01 downloaded on my Nexus 7 2013 waiting to be installed. I've been trying to get information about how well 5.01 works with other apps before I install it. Until now, I hadn't been aware that 5.01 integrates all email accounts into Gmail. I'd like more information about what this means/how this works. I have two Gmail accounts and several non-Gmail accounts. I definitely do NOT want the non-Gmail accounts integrated in any way into Gmail. They all serve different purposes, and I want them all to be separate. So how does this "integration" work? Does it affect other web-based email accounts like Yahoo, Lycos, FastMail, etc.? I read a university account through AquaMail rather than Inbox, but the mail comes to both. If I delete Inbox for that account (or delete that account from Inbox) and just use AquaMail, will that stop Gmail from accessing the account?

I'd greatly appreciate more details about how this integration with Gmail works and how it can be avoided.

colyn1353

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I would actually prefer Apple's approach and design (and that's about it from the Apple side btw

Posted via Android Central App

I hated Apple's gallery app especially their new deleted folder.. When I delete something I make sure I want to get rid of it before I delete it so why should I have to delete again..

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I've had 5.01 downloaded on my Nexus 7 2013 waiting to be installed. I've been trying to get information about how well 5.01 works with other apps before I install it. Until now, I hadn't been aware that 5.01 integrates all email accounts into Gmail. I'd like more information about what this means/how this works. I have two Gmail accounts and several non-Gmail accounts. I definitely do NOT want the non-Gmail accounts integrated in any way into Gmail. They all serve different purposes, and I want them all to be separate. So how does this "integration" work? Does it affect other web-based email accounts like Yahoo, Lycos, FastMail, etc.? I read a university account through AquaMail rather than Inbox, but the mail comes to both. If I delete Inbox for that account (or delete that account from Inbox) and just use AquaMail, will that stop Gmail from accessing the account?

I'd greatly appreciate more details about how this integration with Gmail works and how it can be avoided.

It simply means you _can_ access non-Gmail accounts from Gmail. You don't have to use that service. The only thing is, Android now only supports Gmail (besides Inbox) as the native mail client, so if you want to manage non-Gmail accounts separately, you will need to use third-party mail apps.

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
It simply means you _can_ access non-Gmail accounts from Gmail. You don't have to use that service. The only thing is, Android now only supports Gmail (besides Inbox) as the native mail client, so if you want to manage non-Gmail accounts separately, you will need to use third-party mail apps.

Thanks very much for your message. I hope you're right. I was basing my statements on what MostOSsuck said in the 6th posting in this thread: "Why did Google see fit to integrate all the email accounts into Gmail? It is slow, clumsy and counter intuitive. To have the option of doing it would have been fine, but to be forced into it blows." If the Gmail integration is an option, that's fine, but MostOSsuck does not describe it as an option.

I already use a 3rd party app (Aqua Mail) to handle the email from my university account, and as long as I can continue to do that, and as long as it doesn't somehow find its way into Gmail, I'm content.

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks very much for your message. I hope you're right. I was basing my statements on what MostOSsuck said in the 6th posting in this thread: "Why did Google see fit to integrate all the email accounts into Gmail? It is slow, clumsy and counter intuitive. To have the option of doing it would have been fine, but to be forced into it blows." If the Gmail integration is an option, that's fine, but MostOSsuck does not describe it as an option.

I already use a 3rd party app (Aqua Mail) to handle the email from my university account, and as long as I can continue to do that, and as long as it doesn't somehow find its way into Gmail, I'm content.

Yes, it is an option. Gmail lets you add non-Gmail accounts just like the native mail client did. If you don't add any non-Gmail account to it, Gmail will work just like before. I assume @MostOSsuck was referring to the fact that Google got rid of the native mail client, forcing the user to use the Gmail app for everything unless they install a third-party mail app.

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it is an option. Gmail lets you add non-Gmail accounts just like the native mail client did. If you don't add any non-Gmail account to it, Gmail will work just like before. I assume @MostOSsuck was referring to the fact that Google got rid of the native mail client, forcing the user to use the Gmail app for everything unless they install a third-party mail app.
Thanks very much, Daihard2008, for this explanation. It makes very good sense, and I'm relieved to know that I don't have to have my non-Gmail accounts funnelled through Gmail. Now I can go back to deciding when/whether to move from 4.4.4 to 5.01. If there were an easy way to restore the tablet to 4.4.4 in case I'm one of the unlucky ones who experience problems with 5.0.1, I'd do so. But I'm not rooted, and I have NO wish to have to do a factory reset if things don't go well. So for now I guess I'll wait.

Again, many thanks.

asherN

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if you can hide the Gmail account from Gmail, but you can disable its notifications. :)

And they are disabled. But the GMAIL app only shows 3 accounts in the quick pick, and even with notifications disabled, it shows in GMAIL.

And the GMAIL app really needs to show which email account you are looking at...

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

Well, to be clear, when I updated my Nexus 7 (2013) from 4.4.4 to 5.0.1, it automatically migrated ALL of my email accounts to Gmail (a pop account, a hotmail account, and a work Exchange account, none of which had been in the Gmail account before the update). There was no "option" about it. I'm not sure there is any way to get them out of Gmail, other than completely deleting those accounts and then adding them back into some other email app. If there is, Gmail doesn't make it easy to find it. I downgraded back to 4.4.4, in large part because it ticked me off that Gmail hijacked all of my email accounts in this fashion.

The same thing happened when I authorized the Gmail app update on my Note 4 phone (running 4.4.4). Gmail updated and hijacked all of my email accounts into the Gmail app. I was able to uninstall the updates, and now I simply reject any requests to authorize updates to Gmail.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech