Android 5.0.1

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Well, to be clear, when I updated my Nexus 7 (2013) from 4.4.4 to 5.0.1, it automatically migrated ALL of my email accounts to Gmail (a pop account, a hotmail account, and a work Exchange account, none of which had been in the Gmail account before the update). There was no "option" about it. . . .
What did you use to read your 3 non-Gmail accounts before Gmail hijacked them? Did you use the stock Email client that came with the Nexus 7 (2013)? I ask because I too have a Nexus 7 (2013), and I definitely do NOT want any email accounts in my Gmail client except for my two Gmail accounts. When I first got the tablet, I used the stock Email client for two non-Gmail accounts, but I then switched over to AquaMail Pro, which I like a lot better. However, I found no way to remove the email accounts from the stock Email client. All I could do was disable it. I hope that's enough to prevent Gmail from hijacking the email accounts.

It looks as if I may have a little longer to worry about this before it actually can occur. The notification that 5.0.1 is ready to be installed suddenly disappeared earlier today. I'm hoping Google has pulled it because it still is causing problems for a good number of people. But I imagine that the Gmail hijacking will still be part of the next update. Damn, I can remember when I was so happy to have a Gmail account. :(

Last edited:

Mandy Mannix

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Can we expect Android 5.0.1 around December for the Nexus product line and all the other devices that had lollipop also?
I think it's important to sort out the bugs a bit like iOS 7.0.1 and 8.0.1. Or even KitKat 4.4.1 to 4.4.4.

Posted via the Android Central App

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Well, to be clear, when I updated my Nexus 7 (2013) from 4.4.4 to 5.0.1, it automatically migrated ALL of my email accounts to Gmail (a pop account, a hotmail account, and a work Exchange account, none of which had been in the Gmail account before the update). There was no "option" about it. I'm not sure there is any way to get them out of Gmail, other than completely deleting those accounts and then adding them back into some other email app. If there is, Gmail doesn't make it easy to find it. I downgraded back to 4.4.4, in large part because it ticked me off that Gmail hijacked all of my email accounts in this fashion.

The same thing happened when I authorized the Gmail app update on my Note 4 phone (running 4.4.4). Gmail updated and hijacked all of my email accounts into the Gmail app. I was able to uninstall the updates, and now I simply reject any requests to authorize updates to Gmail.

In that case, Google probably had no choice but to migrate your existing non-Gmail accounts to Gmail, because Gmail was now the only native mail client that came with Android.

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
In that case, Google probably had no choice but to migrate your existing non-Gmail accounts to Gmail, because Gmail was now the only native mail client that came with Android.

I'm not sure if that is correct on the Note 4, but regardless, Google had a choice when they revamped Gmail and decided to kill the other native "Email" app at the same time. They chose to deprive users of choice.

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if that is correct on the Note 4, but regardless, Google had a choice when they revamped Gmail and decided to kill the other native "Email" app at the same time. They chose to deprive users of choice.
Yes, I agree. That's the other choice they could have made (but decided not to). I'm personally fine with having only Gmail as the native mail client, because honestly, I don't see any noticeable difference between the old Mail interface and the Gmail interface for non-Gmail accounts. That being the case, the fewer apps to manage, the better for me. But apparently, tastes differ.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
The Gmail app doesn't migrate anything technically, it just does POP/IMAP like the old email app did, only in a different interface. You're not really deprived of choice: you can still use any email app on the Play Store for the same purpose.

Alniter

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I'd love KitKat back. All Lollipop has brought me is stuttering apps and games, sudden black screens that completely close the app or browser mid-use, and stupid extra steps in mail and even unlocking my Nexus 7. Is it really a new operating system, or a hack from Apple to punish non-iPad users? Unless I'm out of the house, I don't even use my tablet now because I'm tired of it suddenly stopping.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar