Why did I get I get the error status 7 error when trying to install the 5.0 OTA?

pmmu

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
beginner....help! status 7 error

on attempting to install 5.0 ota on nexus 5; the installation process aborts giving a status 7 error.
It says that there are some unexpected contents in one of the system files followed by a cache error.
Pls suggest a simple solution for this.
Thanks

pmmu

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: beginner....help! status 7 error

I have attached the screenshot

Attachments

• IMG_20141129_014209.jpg
    IMG_20141129_014209.jpg
    701.6 KB · Views: 17

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site

I have attached the screenshot

Did you see gone down south's questions above? If you have any of the following components on your phone, an OTA update will NOT work.

1. Custom Kernel
  2. Custom Recovery
  3. Root
  4. Custom ROM
From the error message, I would guess that you rooted your phone and installed some sound effects on the system, such as Viper Audio Effects. In that case, you will need to wipe the whole phone and flash Lollipop freshly. You might be able to get away by restoring the original contents in /system/vendor/sound_effects.conf, but I wouldn't bet my money on it.

pmmu

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site

Yes, you are absolutely right. I had installed towelroot followed by vipersaudio. When u say "wipe the whole phone", do you mean to say factory resetting? I have tried factory resetting and deleting cache images a couple of times but it doesnt work. Sorry if my questions sound dumb but im new to android and not well versed with the technical terms. Pls help to resolve this issue...thanks

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site

Yes, you are absolutely right. I had installed towelroot followed by vipersaudio. When u say "wipe the whole phone", do you mean to say factory resetting? I have tried factory resetting and deleting cache images a couple of times but it doesnt work. Sorry if my questions sound dumb but im new to android and not well versed with the technical terms. Pls help to resolve this issue...thanks
What I meant to say is that you will most probably need to flash a full factory image of Lollipop onto your phone instead of applying an OTA update. In plain English, you will erase everything on your phone and freshly install Lollipop. Below is a link that explains how to do it.

http://phandroid.com/2014/11/12/how-to-flash-the-android-5-0-factory-image-on-the-nexus-5/

Your question is certainly not dumb. OTOH, this process may be overwhelming to someone who's relatively new to Android. I would suggest that you read the above link first to see if this is something you're willing to try. If not, please let us know here and hopefully we will be able to work something out for you.

pmmu

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site

Hey, flashing the full factory image seems to be a difficult procedure even after following the link. I have never done anything like this before and have a few questions:
1) Is it possible to post a link for the video of this same procedure? It will be easier to follow and understand step by step.
2) This procedure requires bootloader to be unlocked..Will that create a warranty issue?
3)Is it just possible to replace the defective audio file? or any other simpler method?
4)Pls have a look at the attachment and confirm if i have chosen the correct factory image to download?

Thanks

Attachments

• My phone.jpg
    My phone.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Nexus 5 factory image.jpg
    Nexus 5 factory image.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 3

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site

1) I found this video on the Internet. Note that I haven't watched it all the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ka5dnPghzI

2) I would assume unlocking the bootloader voids the warranty. Two things from me, though. First, your warranty may already be void since you rooted the phone. Rooting usually voids the warranty. Second, it is easy to re-lock the bootloader. While that may not completely erase your unlock history, most folks at the manufacturers would not look that deep (or so I've been told).

3) I wouldn't rule it out. As I mentioned in my original reply to you, you might be able to just replace your /system/vendor/sound_effects.conf with the original file that came with 4.4.4 and let the OTA update proceed. Two potential issues, though. First, it may not be easy to find the file. Your best bet would be to ask on forums like XDA-Developers. Second, if you do get the file, you will need to be able to remove the modified version on your phone and copy the original one in the same location (/system/vendor/). Since the /system partition is read-only, you will need to use your root privilege to re-mount the partition for read-write in order to do that. And after you've gone through all that, an OTA update may still fail since your phone is rooted.

4) Yes, LRX21O is the correct factory image for your Nexus 5.

Either method will take some effort. I'm hoping that someone with more knowledge jumps in and tells us, "Hey, there's a very simple way to achieve it," but as far as I know, I can't think of any other way.

[EDIT] What gone down south just posted above may just be what you're looking for.

pmmu

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site

thanks a lot daihard2008 and gone down south, Wugfresh toolkit worked and it was very easy to install 5.
Any suggestions for audio enhancements? The nexus 5 sound is really disappointing. Is it safe to towelroot and download viper again or do u suggest something else?
Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37