Change DNS without using Static IP?

Chris Carpenter

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
<rant>
Its almost 2015 now and yet we still can't set custom DNS settings for a particular WiFi connection. I just don't understand how this basic networking is not included. I was hoping in Lollipop it would be fixed. Apple makes this very easy. Open the WiFi connection > go to DNS > changes settings > enjoy. Better yet is that it remembers the settings upon disconnecting and reconnecting to the WiFi connection. I don't want to set Static IPs on my devices. I have multiple DNS servers in the office and I routinely need to change my settings. And no I don't want to download some third party app just to manage my DNS settings. Or setup DNS Leases for each of my devices. Come on Google this is basic networking.
</rant>

Just frustrating is all because every Windows, OS X, Linux, IOS device can do this except Android...

Any suggestions by anyone is appreciated.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Android isn't designed for network admins, it's designed for people one step technically advanced from iStuff users. Someone has to write a pure *nix ROM that's adaptable to Android hardware, then all these little problems would disappear. You'd just set the DNS for wlan0 or write a script or little program to give you a choice from a list. (Which you can actually do now from a terminal app.)

Chris Carpenter

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, but all iDevices do support this along with every other major OS out there. This is what is frustrating me. Sure we could write some scripts but at the end of the day shouldn't have this been included on day 1?

Don't get me wrong I love this new lollipop update I was just really hoping they would have fixed this DNS issue.

Posted via the Android Central App

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
...Don't get me wrong I love this new lollipop update I was just really hoping they would have fixed this DNS issue.

All that one can say is, I suppose they do not see an issue that needs fixing...

As you point out, there are a number of third-party apps out there; I suppose at least s few of them support Lollipop or soon will.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463