Where did the built-in flashlight disappear?

Idan Barir

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Ten days ago, my Nexus 4 was updated to the new Android Lollipop. Initially, I enjoyed the new built-in flashlight feature so much, I got rid of my flashlight app. Alas, after I started using Chromecast and the Hotspot toggle feature, the flashlight feature's icon simply disappeared from my quick-access tray.
Does anyone have any idea as to how I retrieve this option manually, so that I will not need to re-install the flashlight app?
That's how my tray looks at the moment:
Screenshot_2014-12-07-12-45-50.png
Thanks in advance!

johnson.9203

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Ten days ago, my Nexus 4 was updated to the new Android Lollipop. Initially, I enjoyed the new built-in flashlight feature so much, I got rid of my flashlight app. Alas, after I started using Chromecast and the Hotspot toggle feature, the flashlight feature's icon simply disappeared from my quick-access tray.
Does anyone have any idea as to how I retrieve this option manually, so that I will not need to re-install the flashlight app?
That's how my tray looks at the moment:
View attachment 152853
Thanks in advance!
check your widgets,,,i had the same issue

Last edited:

Gatoroid

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
The flashlight toggle has disappeared from my Nexus 5 over the past few days. After I read about Google Now being able to toggle the flashlight, wifi, and bluetooth, I tried the flashlight. The next day, I discovered that the toggle was missing from my quick settings. That's when I found your post.

After reading the responses I thought, "Is it possible that using the voice command removed it from the settings?" So... I used the voice command to toggle bluetooth (to see if a similar effect would occur). Then, while I was at it, I tried the voice command for the flashlight again. Guess what happened? I got a message with an exclamation point icon which said, "This device doesn't have a flashlight."

After a phone restart, the toggle in the quick settings has returned.

I am posting immediately afterward, so I haven't tested any of my hypotheses (voice command affected toggle, restart restored it, etc.), but at least I can contribute my story.
:confused:

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
My icon disappears after I use the voice command to turn flashlight ON, then when I use voice command to turn flashlight OFF, the icon reappears.

Maggie Pantsvanilla

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
I never had it show up (note 4). I went to widgets, search widget for flashlight and it allowed me to add a flashlight widget. Not sure if this helps anyone.

Posted via the Android Central App

threadx2003

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
My quick settings menu did not update with lollipop. I still have the same blue background as I did before. And I have no flashlight option in the menu. I have looked at the images of the new quick settings menu on the web and mine does not look that way, it still looks the same. Does anybody know why? I would like to get my flashlight back, as it disappeared from the home screen when I updated to lollipop. I have a Version S5.

Last edited:

Tina Banner

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
go to your home screen and hold your finger on the screen till three options appear. Select widgets. Select the torçh widget and drag it onto your home screen. Done xx

vadimladon

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue today on my Nexus 4 after updating to 5.1 today. I fixed it by "FORCE STOP" the Camera app, and then clearing the app data (not the app cache). After turning off my phone, the Flashlight shortcut is back in my Quick Settings drop-down. Give it a try. You can't hurt your camera by clearing its data.

phil0sophic

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
My quick settings menu did not update with lollipop. I still have the same blue background as I did before. And I have no flashlight option in the menu. I have looked at the images of the new quick settings menu on the web and mine does not look that way, it still looks the same. Does anybody know why? I would like to get my flashlight back, as it disappeared from the home screen when I updated to lollipop. I have a Version S5.

My wife and I have Verizon GS4's with the same issue after OTA lollypop update.

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
go to your home screen and hold your finger on the screen till three options appear. Select widgets. Select the torçh widget and drag it onto your home screen. Done xx

This works unless you don't want it on your home page. I was unable to move it anywhere else!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 "Size Does Matter!"

Keith Johnson6

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
I can turn on my flashlight with voice commands but have tried all of your suggestions and cannot get an icon on my quick settings any suggestions LG G3 vigor ver.5.2/Rogers wireless version. I can't even find a widget on my phone for it.

Tarototh

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
For all those well meaning individuals who offered solutions involving widgets or home screen short cuts to the flashlight, thank you but please stop!! This thread is not about how to turn on the flashlight, we know there are apps and short cuts to do so!!!

This thread is SPECIFICALLY about the lollipop notification tray icon going missing.

Mine did, and the trick with the camera app worked. I simply opened the camera app. I played with the flash/auto flash icon but i don't know if that was the differentiator.. Anyway, now the flashlight icon is back in my notification tray... Very strange.

Can someone with more time on their hands please pester Google about this bug?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463