Why happens if I disable Auto Sync?

wsrobert

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Auto Sync Question

Under Settings > Accounts > Google >and then selecting on your google account you're presented with a list of google services that auto sync. I'm wondering what happens when I disable any of these.

For example, if I want to turn off/uncheck sync for Google Play Books, will it manually sync once I open the app? I'm just trying to get a better idea of what I'm disabling by unchecking. It would seem that unchecking an of these services you don't need immediately auto synced would be a great way to extend battery life. Or potentially at least. As long as they manually sync when you launch the app.

Thanks for any help!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Auto Sync Question

It would seem that unchecking an of these services you don't need immediately auto synced would be a great way to extend battery life.
Maybe not great, but certainly good.

As long as they manually sync when you launch the app.
Almost all apps do. (You may find one, written by someone not as good at writing apps as others, that doesn't, but all the Google apps do, one way or another.) I manually back my phone up whenever there's a major change (if backing up will take longer than making the change, it's a waste of time, unless you've made a lot of little changes over the course of the day or week), but my email is Push (I don't poll the server) and almost everything else but Contacts and Drive are disabled.

wsrobert

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Auto Sync Question

Got it. Thanks for the help.

I've pared down the list of google apps that are auto syncing. And combed over any other apps I think might be using too much background data. Its primarily a move to extend battery life. And limit notifications in some capacity.