Well, not exactly scared but hesitant. KitKat 4.4.4 is working OK on my not rooted Nexus 5. But I hear some complaints and horror stories of how the upgrade to 5.0 messed up their phone. 5.0.1 is out? Fixes most complaints? Calm or confirm my nervousness. To quote Laurence Olivier's question to Dustin Hoffman in Marathon Man, "Is it safe?" I can wait.
    12-09-2014 09:44 PM
    I hear ya. I plan to let the update roll out to my Turbo brethren and see how that plays out before I allow my baby to get it. I installed it when it first came out on my nexus 7 without issues but im gonna hold off on this one.
    12-09-2014 10:16 PM
    Minor quibbles, the normal bugs from a new release, a few weird design choices that'll take a while to get used to. Nothing terribly exciting.
    12-09-2014 11:02 PM
    Flashed 5.0.0 to my Nexus 5. No issues. From what I understand, the OTA is a factor for some of the glitches.
    12-09-2014 11:08 PM
    There are horror stories, but there are also happy ones.

I'm one of the Android users who are extremely happy with Lollipop. Some things took me a bit to get used to, but most of the new features are great additions and/or nice changes. Heads-up notifications, priority mode and Smart Lock to name a few.

I flashed Lollipop on my Nexus 5. I've had no issues with Lollipop so far. The only problem that I wanted to fix was the battery consumption, which was was a bit faster than on KitKat. Flashing the KitKat radio firmware file has solved the problem for me.
    12-09-2014 11:11 PM
    Screw Lollipop, its made my Nexus 7 absolutely worthless. Nothing works on it, I can't open any apps or even get the Internet to pop up. The second an app does open, it freezes and then crashes and my entire screen goes blue. I've tried wiping the entire device 3 times so far and still the same problems.
    12-10-2014 12:57 AM
    ... Oh and before the update, everything worked flawlessly.
    12-10-2014 12:58 AM
    There were a few kinks, however it is worth it just for the lock screen notifications.

So useful to see your messages without having to unlock the screen(an optional feature of course).
    12-10-2014 01:40 AM
    ... Oh and before the update, everything worked flawlessly.
    And after the update, everything continues to work flawlessly. :-)
    12-10-2014 01:45 AM
    I sideloaded Lollipop on to my Nexus 4 and had no issues other than some apps not supporting it. Battery life improved which was cool but I prefer what I can do with a custom KitKat ROM so I got rid and installed CM11 and the Blink theme from Cyanogen Theme Showcase along with Action Launcher and so now my phone is looking a lot cooler for my tastes.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails How safe is Lollipop?-screenshot_2014-12-09-23-23-19.jpg   How safe is Lollipop?-screenshot_2014-12-09-15-26-25.jpg   How safe is Lollipop?-screenshot_2014-12-09-15-29-00.jpg   How safe is Lollipop?-screenshot_2014-12-09-15-26-34.jpg   How safe is Lollipop?-screenshot_2014-12-09-15-26-40.jpg  

daihard2008 likes this.
    12-10-2014 02:06 AM
    I'm with you, kudbegud. I'm happy with KitKat 4.4.4, and nothing I've read about Lollipop gives me an incentive to upgrade, especially since a significant number of folks are having substantial problems even with 5.01. I depend on my tablet too much to gamble that I'll be one of the lucky ones. Yes, a number of people are happy with Lollipop, but if I turn out to be one of the unlucky ones, I'd be VERY unhappy. My tablet is not rooted, and I do NOT want to do a factory reset. I'd much rather stay with 4.4.4. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    12-10-2014 09:05 AM
    I'm with you, kudbegud. I'm happy with KitKat 4.4.4, and nothing I've read about Lollipop gives me an incentive to upgrade, especially since a significant number of folks are having substantial problems even with 5.01. I depend on my tablet too much to gamble that I'll be one of the lucky ones. Yes, a number of people are happy with Lollipop, but if I turn out to be one of the unlucky ones, I'd be VERY unhappy. My tablet is not rooted, and I do NOT want to do a factory reset. I'd much rather stay with 4.4.4. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    There are plenty more 'lucky ones' than 'unlucky ones'.
    daihard2008 likes this.
    12-10-2014 09:03 PM
    Years ago I heard horror stories about the DSLR I was wanting to buy. I bought it in spite of the stories and, for me, it was a great camera. Then I heard horror stories about the Kindle Paperwhite. I bought two and both were just fine. Now there's horror stories about the new Kindle so I ordered one of those, too. I've read the horror stories about Android 5.0 but for me it's been fine. I heard horror stories about Windows 8 and waited for 8.1 and that was fine, too.

If you're pure of heart, strong in spirit, and reasonably bright, it'll work out fine. Download it, reset to factory, and go.
    daihard2008 likes this.
    12-10-2014 09:37 PM
    There are plenty more 'lucky ones' than 'unlucky ones'.
    Agreed. I don't mean to discount the horror stories, but I suspect a lot of it is how unhappy people tend to be more vocal than the happy ones. Lollipop has been working marvellously for me since the day I installed it.
    p3ntyne likes this.
    12-10-2014 10:55 PM
    Agreed. I don't mean to discount the horror stories, but I suspect a lot of it is how unhappy people tend to be more vocal than the happy ones. Lollipop has been working marvellously for me since the day I installed it.
    Plus there's always the possibility these people haven't followed the correct procedure.

daihard2008 likes this.
    12-10-2014 11:13 PM
    Smart lock is the latest feature in Lollipop. This feature is the unique way to unlock the devices. All android phones and tablets which are running the Lollipop is now enabled with default encryption. This makes your data more safe and secure.
    daihard2008 likes this.
    12-11-2014 04:20 AM
    [...] Some things took me a bit to get used to, but most of the new features are great additions and/or nice changes. Heads-up notifications, priority mode and Smart Lock to name a few.
    Smart lock is the latest feature in Lollipop. This feature is the unique way to unlock the devices.
    There were dozens of apps that provided the same functionality as Smart Lock in prior versions of Android. "SkipLock" and "Delayed Lock" were probably the most popular. And, IMO, those apps did it better... besides trusted bluetooth and location, most also allowed for automatic unlocking when the device connected to specific WiFi SSIDs. e.g. could make it remain unlocked when connected to your home wifi, for example.

And trusted location unlocking actually worked. Unlike, with Lollipop, which seems to only unlock my phone 50% of the time when I'm in a trusted location. Seems from posts here and else where, I'm not alone in that problem.

Unforunately, Google changed the APIs so that all these older apps no longer work; we're forced to use google's Smart Lock and can no longer use the third party apps.
    tonyr6 likes this.
    12-11-2014 02:19 PM
    That's a valid and often accurate point. But if you dare to ask if the fault could just possibly be theirs they lose their freaking minds lol.
    Clearly not IT support peeps then.

12-11-2014 03:28 PM
    There were dozens of apps that provided the same functionality as Smart Lock in prior versions of Android. "SkipLock" and "Delayed Lock" were probably the most popular. And, IMO, those apps did it better... besides trusted bluetooth and location, most also allowed for automatic unlocking when the device connected to specific WiFi SSIDs. e.g. could make it remain unlocked when connected to your home wifi, for example.

And trusted location unlocking actually worked. Unlike, with Lollipop, which seems to only unlock my phone 50% of the time when I'm in a trusted location. Seems from posts here and else where, I'm not alone in that problem.
    I don't doubt there were third-party apps that did what Smart Lock does, maybe better. I've never said the feature had never been available to the users until Lollipop introduced Smart Lock. The fact that it is now part of the OS helped me, though. I never went out to look for an app that lets me bypass the security on particular conditions. That was a nice feature to have, but wasn't critical to me. Now it is found right in the OS settings, is easy to set up, and actually works (for me, at least).
    12-11-2014 08:58 PM