05-11-2017 03:35 PM
92 1234
tools
    Only thing I am not a huge fan of is the white background in the app drawer. But even with that, still does not look as bad as some of the other skins out there, especially samsung's touchwiz.
    daihard2008 likes this.
    12-16-2014 05:14 PM
    Only thing I am not a huge fan of is the white background in the app drawer. But even with that, still does not look as bad as some of the other skins out there, especially samsung's touchwiz.
    White background is negated by a different launcher. Nova has a transparent drawer.
    12-16-2014 05:50 PM
    I personally rather like Lolli, but that's not the important thing to me. Here's what I'd love to see from Google:

Have the lead designers from every app team get together and agree on a unified theme for apps - preferably following the guidelines that the Android team is laying out.
    12-16-2014 08:15 PM
    its looking nice i like it..
    12-17-2014 03:21 AM
    No. Material Design is arguably one of the best things that has ever happened to Android. Period.

Also no, Material Design is not the same as Metro UI on Windows Phone or iOS 8. The animations have a purpose, so do the colours and shadows.

The applications created with Material Design are nothing short of amazing, if implemented correctly. YouTube,

Material Design will bring consistency throughout Android and put it on par with the cohesiveness of iOS and Windows Phone, while still being more aesthetically pleasing and functional.

Get rid of "material design" before being too late-1418821205880.jpg

Having been introduced to this brave new design and loving it I could never go back to HOLO, and Metro UI of Windows Phone doesn't even come close.
    daihard2008 and tr-1 like this.
    12-17-2014 07:00 AM
    Im a big fan of the material design for 5.0, but I'm also a fan of the iOS7/8 design as well. The only thing i wish 5.0 offered was a Dark theme, as well as more additional themes so the experience could be further customized.
    12-17-2014 08:32 AM
    I fail to see what is so great in the above picture design. I would also say that the term "aesthetically pleasing" is a bit forced.
    The similar colorless icons require an additional (unconscious) effort to understand them every time you access them.
    Not to mention the totally unintuitive representation of home and menu actions - a circle and a square.

EDIT: I have a suggestion, it can be made even simpler, as everybody knows what the three buttons do, why not to put three white dots instead of a triangle, a circle and a square, it will be even simpler. Just imagine:

YOUTUBE
    HERE

o o o
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    12-17-2014 08:40 AM
    I fail to see what is so great in the above picture design. I would also say that the term "aesthetically pleasing" is a bit forced.
    The similar colorless icons require an additional (unconscious) effort to understand them every time you access them.
    Not to mention the totally unintuitive representation of home and menu actions - a circle and a square.

EDIT: I have a suggestion, it can be made even simpler, as everybody knows what the three buttons do, why not to put three white dots instead of a triangle, a circle and a square, it will be even simpler. Just imagine:

YOUTUBE
    HERE

o o o
    When home screen buttons have a limited number of things that they can do, no matter how the icons look people will understand the way they work and I like the new Playstation style buttons.

The new animations give you a sense of direction helping you navigate around the UI. I find the visual tweaks great, plus design has never been something that can please everyone.
    12-17-2014 09:38 AM
    I love the Material Design.
    12-17-2014 10:20 AM
    For me, personally, I dislike the out-of-the-box look of Lollipop. But that's why I'm happy to have Nova Prime. I know I will still have to deal with Lollipop's design choices, but at least my home screens that I will be using constantly will be acceptable. And definitely new icons. Funny how we can all look at the same thing and see something different. When I look at most of the screens in Lollipop I think "childish." Others see "refreshing," "updated," or "minimalistic." It's just individual taste.

I am more concerned about how the OS works, especially the way the sound settings are implemented. I like being able to tap one widget and have my phone totally muted, turned to vibrate, or sound on (at a volume of my choice). In my opinion, that should not have been taken away.
    daihard2008 likes this.
    12-17-2014 12:12 PM
    i'm not a fan of Material Design either. i hate when things are done just for the sake of doing them or to appear different or innovative. and i think Matias Duarte is overrated.
    12-18-2014 01:56 PM
    i'm not a fan of Material Design either. i hate when things are done just for the sake of doing them or to appear different or innovative. and i think Matias Duarte is overrated.
    Android needed a visual overhaul, and I think the wide majority of people appreciate Material Design.

Maybe there should have been a black theme added, but for the most part I don't miss much about the older HOLO.
    daihard2008 and isdaako like this.
    12-18-2014 11:11 PM
    Android needed a visual overhaul, and I think the wide majority of people appreciate Material Design.

Maybe there should have been a black theme added, but for the most part I don't miss much about the older HOLO.
    Change just for change's sake is no good. KitKat wasn't broken.
    12-18-2014 11:47 PM
    Simplicity and clarity are a must indeed but not with the cost of visual appealing. Gradients are nice, high res icons are nice, shadows are nice.
    If I was Apple I would simply put the two interfaces one next to other with a text like: "why you would ever buy this?"

The more I am using "material design" the more I figure out that it also have some functional flaws probably forced by (otherwise very consistent) guidelines. I could barely find where the "Street View" is in the new Maps, also those "Route" buttons look like labels, nothing like ever pushing them.
    12-19-2014 01:59 AM
    We bought two of them off EBay (Thanks, Mr. Anonymous!) and I had to drive two hours both ways to get them at 1am. Fun times.

It was a good thing we did it that way, though, because we don't live in a 3G area and they wouldn't have been sold at local stores.
    KitKat wasn't broken, agreed. But there are tons of people in the industry and tons of haters that said Android wasn't as beautiful or polished as iOS or Windows Phone.

In terms of apps I might have agreed the HOLO theme was getting very old and boring, and Material Design with Lollipop brings the new 60 FPS animations so the experience has become more buttery.

My only complaints would be to bring back a 'HOLO' mode for those people that liked darker backgrounds and fixing the RAM consumption issues.
    tr-1 likes this.
    12-19-2014 02:43 AM
    Love the new design.
    Ed Briggs, daihard2008 and tr-1 like this.
    12-19-2014 02:59 AM
    I like how Material Design looks, however it would be great if there would be possibility to change from light theme to dark one. At least in aosp roms.

Sent using R800i - AuroraPLAY/LuPuS_GB (RAM)
    Ed Briggs and daihard2008 like this.
    12-19-2014 04:36 AM
    KitKat wasn't broken, agreed. But there are tons of people in the industry and tons of haters that said Android wasn't as beautiful or polished as iOS or Windows Phone.
    Now they fixed that
    I still hope I'm having a bad dream.
    12-19-2014 06:03 AM
    I don't like how the notification cards all bunch up like planks at the bottom of the notification "shade" when there are a lot of them. There are aspects to the design that are just problematic.
    12-19-2014 06:31 AM
    everything comes full circle. my guess is we'll soon be back to simple and clean.
    12-19-2014 11:10 AM
    This nonsense is somehow similar with building big phones, all companies build huge phone completely ignoring "single hand" users - who still use one free hand while texting or using the phone. I think this market is at least 15-20%, a lot of people want the screen size maximum 4-4.3 inches.
    Apple is the first who realized they lost this market making the small iPhone too big and now there are rumors about a 4" iPhone. Probably they will be the first reverting the "minimalist" stupid trend. Maybe after Steve Jobs ghost will hunt them and slap the back of some of them heads.

Or its like Microsoft adding back the Start button after trying to convince us how great is without it. Balmer had to leave so the back people admit there were a lot of stupid mistakes, including 2 failed generations of Windows.

In few months we will see 32bit classic icons and wonder how an abomination like "material design" was possible. The ones who wake up first will probably gain the future market.

I don't have to install an awful looking operating system and pay for themes afterwards. It may be easier or more convenient for to change the phone. How about making it nice and the ones who wants cartoon looking theme to download it from Play Store?
    Do us all a favor and quit using technology. People like you complain about everything in life, instead of moving on.
    Orion78, tr-1 and PrePixiLove like this.
    12-19-2014 01:07 PM
    Change just for change's sake is no good. KitKat wasn't broken.
    I guess we should have stayed with KK forever. Like 40 years from now. People like you should be using a landline. It wasn't broken for 100 years. You are an embarrassment to the tech community to suggest we shouldn't change because it wasn't "broken". If that's the case, tech should stay where it is.
    tr-1 and PrePixiLove like this.
    12-19-2014 01:16 PM
    Eesh. Why all the hostility?
    12-19-2014 01:37 PM
    I guess we should have stayed with KK forever. Like 40 years from now. People like you should be using a landline. It wasn't broken for 100 years. You are an embarrassment to the tech community to suggest we shouldn't change because it wasn't "broken". If that's the case, tech should stay where it is.
    12-19-2014 01:44 PM
    What is next, we have to install the camera driver in command line and "recompile the kernel" ?
    EDIT: I know, soon we have to type "call Someone" in some dark command line to call someone.

Click for HiRes:

Attachment 154387
    I doubt it will go that far .. but honestly not everyone will like every change. If they made a change for your tastes .. someone would come along and say they hate it as well. No company can please 100% of their customers.
    Golfdriver97 and daihard2008 like this.
    12-19-2014 03:41 PM
92 1234