05-11-2017 03:35 PM
92 ... 234
tools
    I agree with dan, sorry, but I think the material design is really nice looking.
    It's ok that you don't like it. You don't Have to upgrade to 5.0, you can keep on rockin 4.4 as long as you want.
    Never thought android devices taking months and/or years to get an OS update as a feature, but there You go.
    Yes, you are forced to take Material Design. When they stop releasing updates for apps on 4, when your phone falls in the toilet and you have to get a new one that comes with 5 preinstalled, when the rest of the world moves beyond. I was on iphone and most happy with ios5. They started ruining stuff with ios6 but 7 was where they finally crossed the line. I made the jump to android just before they started drinking the same poisoned kool-aid. This flat crap is ugly as sin.
    ram1220 likes this.
    04-20-2015 10:31 AM
    Yes, you are forced to take Material Design. When they stop releasing updates for apps on 4, when your phone falls in the toilet and you have to get a new one that comes with 5 preinstalled, when the rest of the world moves beyond. I was on iphone and most happy with ios5. They started ruining stuff with ios6 but 7 was where they finally crossed the line. I made the jump to android just before they started drinking the same poisoned kool-aid. This flat crap is ugly as sin.
    the throw on a launcher and hide whatever it is you don't like.
    Geez, this was from like 6 MONTHS ago. Get over it. android released 5.0 6 months ago and android is a CHOICE YOU made.
    iOS and Blackberry and Windows phones are other options.
    OR, you could have just chosen a device that didn't have 5.0 pre installed. Which means, you can avoid the nexus 6 and the Galaxy S6. ... that's about it. and it's ugly in YOUR opinion. I have the S6 and think 5.0 is flippin awesome looking.
    and since 98% of devices are still running 4.4.4 or lower, you can't say that everyone is updating their apps to ONLY work on 5.0 because that is complete BS.
    tym11600 likes this.
    04-20-2015 04:46 PM
    I don't like how it looks either, when I started using it my eyes were bleeding I think. But my android(nexus 5) is just a phone they gave me at work... I just leave it in my tool bag. Has everyone seen the new Acrobat DC (new adobe reader) on Windows desktop? They're starting to go to a similar style. It's everywhere, so get used to it on popular OS's.
    04-23-2015 04:34 PM
    However I'm using office 365 which is actually the first office I like since 2010, that being said material design for a desktop is stupid. The point of MD is it's supposed to be good for smaller screens.... Anyways, saying you have a choice when everyone is copying it, is kind of disingenuous.
    ram1220 likes this.
    04-24-2015 10:55 AM
    I'm not loving the Material Design choices at all. 4.4.4 looked lots better, and I wish I could add that design onto my 5.0.2 from AT&T.
    04-24-2015 09:30 PM
    I think lollipop looks awesome. The old design was good, but it looked dated. It was time to modernize it.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-28-2015 07:16 AM
    I think lollipop looks awesome. The old design was good, but it looked dated. It was time to modernize it.

Posted via the Android Central App
    I really like material design (I'm a graphics designer)

And more and more I convince people to actually use material design instead of whatever we do.
    04-28-2015 09:49 AM
    Gunny I'll concede the point that material design is good for android. However the benefits it has on small screen is lost on big screens. I have trouble seeing where the menu ends and the fields begin in office 365, which is an awesome piece of software something I have said about office in half a decade.
    04-28-2015 11:55 AM
    Suggestions that if you don't like Material design (I hate it) then just don't update to Lollipop totally ignores other changes "under the hood". Example: I want apps to have access to my external sd card, which Kit-Kat forbids but Lollipop allows. So I have to put up with such things as these new clumsy cards to scroll through to find running apps I want to close.
    06-28-2015 12:00 PM
    You are clearly a minority. Google just presented statistics (at Google I/O) that show huge improvements in app install #s and use time. Developers clearly saw this trend change as soon as they refreshed their apps with Material Design.
    This is also the first time in Android history they actually have guidelines that got people excited (there are tons of Material Design topic blogs and websites). and it's all leading to more consistent user experience. Heck, MD can be used on ANY device and even websites. You want to see skeuomorphistic websites? Not me.
    If someone doesn't like the color theme of an app, ask developers to give you option to change it (it's built into API). The "flat" is clearly a trend today, whether you like it or not. Look at any OS or software tools (Adobe, MSVS MS Office, etc) The great thing about MD is that it actually has a dimension as oppose to being flat but at the same time it doesn't look like a cartoonish skeuomorphism. I never understood why buttons have to look identical to real life... you are given an infinite flexibility in imagination and you will not take advantage of it? It's the major reason I despise LabView controls.
    06-28-2015 06:34 PM
    However I'm using office 365 which is actually the first office I like since 2010, that being said material design for a desktop is stupid. The point of MD is it's supposed to be good for smaller screens.... Anyways, saying you have a choice when everyone is copying it, is kind of disingenuous.
    The point of MD it to "be good" on ALL screens and formats. And it works well on all (from moto360 to Android TV to a webpage on your monitor)
    06-28-2015 07:00 PM
    Amen! So well said. Hate so-called Material Design. It has no warmth. No fun. It is not humane. It is just slick & cold. "Material" ?? Aye, & if my grandmother had wheels she'd be a wagon.
    08-27-2015 10:36 PM
    Amen & Pass the peas, Brother!

From the minute they flattened the lil green Android robot into mint green lil blobs that could barely be considered an emoticon over 2 years ago, i was like "uh oh, where is THIS headed?"

i miss all the blacks, all the depth of the icons and the sheer "coolness factor" of Android of yesteryear...

Its like Andy "cut his hair, put on a suit, got a job & joined a country club!"... the days of him taking on apple are long behind him. Now if he wanted to challenge someone, he'd prolly have an intelligent, mature debate or something...

Hey Google, "Android's fun & rebellious ," attitude is what got y'all where u are today, why would u distance urselves from that?!

BTC
    I fail to see what is so great in the above picture design. I would also say that the term "aesthetically pleasing" is a bit forced.
    The similar colorless icons require an additional (uncstuds) effort to understand them every time you access them.
    Not to mention the totally unintuitive representation of home and menu actions - a circle and a square.

EDIT: I have a suggestion, it can be made even simpler, as everybody knows what the three buttons do, why not to put three white dots instead of a triangle, a circle and a square, it will be even simpler. Just imagine:

YOUTUBE
    HERE

o o o
    Hear, here! Completely agree. Ridiculous. I have done graphic design for 2 decades. & IMO MD is a travesty. It is a flavour of the time. It pretends to utilise classic elements all the while ignoring the richness of those elements in favour of simplification. So ya. Go ahead. Simplify. Why bother with those PlayStation symbols. Just put three circles. And please. Skeumorphism? Bah! Look at the Google phone app icon. MD or not, what is that thing? Oh and don't get me started on why the letters are laid out so weirdly on the keyboard...
    08-27-2015 10:49 PM
    Hear, here! Completely agree. Ridiculous. I have done graphic design for 2 decades. & IMO MD is a travesty. It is a flavour of the time. It pretends to utilise classic elements all the while ignoring the richness of those elements in favour of simplification. So ya. Go ahead. Simplify. Why bother with those PlayStation symbols. Just put three circles. And please. Skeumorphism? Bah! Look at the Google phone app icon. MD or not, what is that thing? Oh and don't get me started on why the letters are laid out so weirdly on the keyboard...
    yup, yup! About 4 years ago with the "first flattening" I can recall, was of the "ebay" logo was flattened all to h*ll, and I was like echhh! WHY?! Back then, I googled & found this article: After 17 Years, eBay Tones Down Its Crazy Logo | Adweek and I was like, "uh, oh, is THIS where ALL design is going to go?! Then the cutest lil icon green android robot emoticons became "little green blolbs" without any detail whatsoever and I kept complaining and everyone was like, "flatter designs free up resources"...

Well, call me crazy, but i'd accept a multimillisecond delay if I could have my gradients and all the 3D effects of my icons back! Sad!

BTC
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    08-28-2015 05:13 AM
    Bravo! Bravo! Bravo!
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    12-30-2015 03:42 PM
    The site we are using right now is a perfect example...

Any layout with an absence of creativity and individuality is Materially a Boring design...........
    All sites look the same! Creating a Brand/Image is not compatible with that horrible MD.. Duarte is... Well... Not very ... It's actually insulting to anyone who has been in the advertising.marketing industry. Yes, I owned an advertising agency. Creating a great ad meant creating a memorable image... Not with MD. Our lives are being contained in brazenly colored flat rectangles... No corporate identity with that.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    01-05-2016 10:28 AM
    05-11-2017 03:35 PM
92 ... 234