I updated my Adroid 4 OS to Lollypop 5.0 and I have nothing but problems. Many of my apps, i.e., Google Play Store, Text messaging, no longer works (I say about 50% of the apps are not working; so some do work). I hate the idea of doing a factory reset because I have a lot of data on my phone that I don't want to take a chance of losing. I have two questions -- 1) can I re-install Lollypop 5.0 just in case in was a corrupted install (or better yet Lollypop 5.02); and 2) Is there a way of installing Play Store? Without Play Store I am dead in the water.

Eric
    01-12-2015 10:32 AM
    I updated my Adroid 4 OS to Lollypop 5.0 and I have nothing but problems.
    One of the many reasons it was suspended.

I hate the idea of doing a factory reset because I have a lot of data on my phone that I don't want to take a chance of losing. I have two questions -- 1) can I re-install Lollypop 5.0 just in case in was a corrupted install (or better yet Lollypop 5.02);
    Sure. And keep your fingers crossed, burn incense, wave the smoke around with a bald eagle feather, wear juju beads - anything you like, but Lollipop is still going to be the buggiest release ever. I don't know if you can backdate to a KitKat ROM, but if that's possible, it's what I would do. Bugs galore or a few missing pretty baubles? Not exactly a difficult choice.

and 2) Is there a way of installing Play Store? Without Play Store I am dead in the water.
    No you're not. Amazon App Store. But Play Store Install.

BTW, if your data isn't backed up, you WILL lose it some day. An old computer saw says that any file not backed up is a file you don't need. It's true. Backing up should become a religion. Back up all app data as you create it. Copy all your backups to a few destinations (hard drive and a couple of cloud accounts) every few days or every week, immediately back up anything very important (like that video of the baby's first steps). Drop the phone and have a truck run over it and the data isn't recoverable in this universe. The odds of that happening? Probably a few times a day, at the very least, if you include the whole world. There are two kinds of people - those who have all their data backed up and those who don't. There are also people who jump out of airplanes without parachutes. I prefer walking down the ramp and backing my data up. If I had to do a factory reset now, 5 minutes to do a nandroid backup (just in case - I'm pretty sure everything but this morning's data is backed up off-phone, but only pretty sure) and then a factory reset. The only thing that would bother me is the time I wouldn't have the phone available to check something if someone asked a question I wasn't sure of the answer to. (When I started trying to get GRUB to work on this new desktop, I backed my entire backup drive to an external drive. Just in case. Even after 40 years of doing this stuff, I can't say this will work with no problem". A power failure of the right kind at just the right moment, and I'm replacing a drive. And even though some people here think I know a lot, I still haven't learned how to control lightning. I don't take chances with chance - it's called chance because it's unpredictable.)
    sharkita likes this.
    01-12-2015 11:11 AM
    I installed Android 5, known as Lollipop. I backed up my data and did a factory restore. I've had no problems.
    01-12-2015 12:35 PM
    I did my install as a fresh and clean install wiped everything and did it and I have no problems which update do you have? 5.0 or 5.0.1

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    01-13-2015 12:04 AM
    BTW, if your data isn't backed up, you WILL lose it some day. An old computer saw says that any file not backed up is a file you don't need. It's true. Backing up should become a religion.
    Amen to that!
    01-13-2015 04:56 PM
    When will usa get the android 5.0 update ?
    01-19-2015 11:42 AM
    Hope someone can help. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 through Verizon. After updating to lollypop, I can't turn on my wifi anymore. Verizon had me do a factory reset, Samsung reflashed the phone, and did a factory reset. I also tried turning off the Network switch and the mobile data switch. Nothing helped. The wifi switch will flip to the right as it did before, but it won't stay and just flips back before wifi comes on. Verizon says not their problem and need to wait for an update. It is in warranty, but Verizon won't replace because they say I will just end up with another problem like low battery life or not able to text. All they did was give me 1 extra Gig of Data which does nothing for me. Samsung says they will fix, but sending it in and having them look at it etc. will take almost 2 weeks that I will be without the phone. I can activate an old phone with Verizon, but am hoping for a better solution. Any help would be appreciated.
    04-09-2015 03:45 PM
    Hi
    What i would do is take the extra gig , send the phone in to Samsung and get it fixed.
    Do you have a Samsung repair outlet where you live?
    04-11-2015 07:44 AM
    Hi onvisa,
    Thank you for your reply. I do not have a Samsung repair outlet near here. The extra gig I did take, but it is almost used up and there is a lot of time left in the month. I was hoping that someone had an idea on how to just get the wifi working again. I did see in another forum a posting on how to return the phone from lollypop to kitkat 4.4.4 which worked fine, and people seem happy with the solution. I will try that tomorrow and if it works, great... if not I will have to send it in, but I appreciate your thoughts. Take care.
    04-11-2015 10:46 PM