Accidentally turned off Android OS auto-update!?

David Pearson4

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5, and was holding off updating to lollipop for a few weeks as had heard there were some issues with Nexus 5's. So I kept ignoring the update pop up, then one day it stops coming up at all, and if I go in to check for new updates it says I'm all up to date, yet I'm still on 4.4!

The only thing I can think of is one point last week when I took the phone out of my pocket it was on the green robot screen with some white text, did I accidentally do something to some behind the scenes settings? I've never rooted or flashed or whatever it is to my phone, as you might be able to tell I'm not well versed in these areas! :p

Any ideas what I did? / How to undo it?

I found a guide on talkandroid dot com, which seems the best solution yet without resetting to factory settings (can't post links yet).

Cheers,
Dave.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Unless you're rooted, you can't turn off the system updater. It's possible that the Google servers put you way back at the end of the queue, although there probably aren't many more Nexus 5's out there that haven't been updated.

You could try wiping the system cache partition, which won't erase any personal data. The process takes up to 5-10 minutes on a Nexus 5, so be patient: http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-5-rooting-roms-hacks/352008-guide-nexus-5-recovery.html.

If you don't mind the hassle, you could also try a full factory reset. If nothing works, try contacting Google directly. Go to this support page and click on Contact Us at the upper right: https://support.google.com/nexus/?hl=en#topic=3415518

austenpowers

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
This usually happens when Google has "pulled" an update from their servers (likely because they are preparing for a new release). For instance, this happened to me with v5.0, which was being pushed in November/December. But then the update notification disappeared for a few weeks. Now, the notification has reappeared and it's pushing v5.0.1. Even though there was an update version available, when i checked the server for updates, it said "no updates"... i just had to wait for v5.0.1 to be made available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463