I turned on my Nexus 7 this morning, and it won't get past the swirling dots. I can get to the screen where I can wipe the cache partition (which I got good at thanks to lollipop), but I can't seem to do anything besides that. The bottom of that screen says:

E:failed to mount /cache (Invalid argument)
    E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
    E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log

And the same three lines but "log" is replaced with "last_log", and again with "last_install".

Can anyone give me some direction on how to fix this, preferably without wiping the device? Though I'll admit, I have been THIS close to going back to factory settings since I got the lollipop update. It's only been 2-3 months, but it feels like an eternity.

Thanks in advance!
    Shannon
    01-23-2015 10:09 AM
    Welcome to the forums. I think you may have very little choice in regard to wiping the device.
    01-23-2015 10:23 AM
    Well crap. Oh well, I guess there isn't anything on there that I can't get back (I hope)
    01-23-2015 11:34 AM
    Even worse now. I left it alone for a while, while I made dinner and did family. When I came back, all prepared to just wipe it, I tried to get into recovery mode and got the little dead android with the red triangle and exclamation point, and I can't get around him. I have conceded that I will have to wipe it, but I have no idea how to do it without the recovery mode available...is there any way to get past the dead android to do a factory reset? Or can someone please direct me to a tutorial of how to do it for someone that's never done it? I can follow directions, just need to have them. Thank you!
    01-23-2015 08:18 PM
    Are you following these steps?

http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...tion-wipe.html

Obviously, you can choose reset as well.
    01-23-2015 09:51 PM
    Yes, that's exactly what I have been doing for weeks. And I was able to get there yesterday, but suddenly I can't get past the dead Droid graphic. It'll get there, I hold down the power and volume buttons to get to the cache partition/factory reset menu, and nothing happens. After a little bit it just turns off. But I can't get to that menu anymore.

I found another thread last night that has a link and instructions for a toolkit, so I'll give that a try later.
    01-24-2015 06:27 AM