Lollipop 5.1 available now.

rrballer11

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
You mean Android using RAM the way it was meant to be used, instead of letting it sit empty? Let's hope not.

No like a memory leak.. Some users of lollipop have this problem? Laggy OS compared to KitKat. Some need to restart there phones daily and apps closing by them self's while in use.

Posted via Android Central App

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Will this fix the massive ram usage?
Presumably, yes. The issue was marked in the official bug tracker as fixed in an upcoming release over a month ago, so I'm assuming it's baked into whatever update is coming next to affected devices.

I'm really looking forward to it; the memory leak bug is my biggest problem with 5.0.1. Granted it's not a huge burden rebooting my phone once a week or so, but I shouldn't have to.

Last edited:

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
No like a memory leak.. Some users of lollipop have this problem? Laggy OS compared to KitKat. Some need to restart there phones daily and apps closing by them self's while in use.

Ah, memory leak, gotcha. that would be an issue they hopefully fix quickly. If I didn't want Lollipop for ART and the changes in the way SD cards are handled, I'd want to wait for 5.1 for my Note 4. But its taking long enough for them to just get 5.0.1 out. Hopefully they'll be able to patch the memory leak in that before it's released.

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
If I didn't want Lollipop for ART and the changes in the way SD cards are handled, I'd want to wait for 5.1 for my Note 4. But its taking long enough for them to just get 5.0.1 out.
Your statement may be the first inkling I've had that I may actually want Lollipop. How does Lollipop change the way SD cards are handled?

ManuxGR

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
It's official actually, lollipop 5.1 improves battery life and performance X2. Nobody knows yet if they mean only android one devices.

StLouisMan2

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Why is RAM so precious? Is it the size of the RAM things? Is it the cost of the material? Why can't they just put lots of RAM in every device? Or in every desktop computer anyway? I wonder whether it's like processors. They could install pretty fast ones, but they dribble them out year by year so we by new devices?

rrballer11

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Why is RAM so precious? Is it the size of the RAM things? Is it the cost of the material? Why can't they just put lots of RAM in every device? Or in every desktop computer anyway? I wonder whether it's like processors. They could install pretty fast ones, but they dribble them out year by year so we by new devices?

RAM is (random access memory), its totally different from processors. It holds temporary memory for recently used programs ,apps for faster loading times. As things advance programs/systems will require more ram. For example now a days windows for optimal performance on 90% of applications gaming ect.. Would be 8 GB anymore is a waste of money unless your doing something heavy.

So basically, if you put more then what is really needed its a waste of money, it won't be used.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
The Moto G is proof that Lollipop can run fine with 1gb of RAM. Every high-end Android device has at least twice that. If they're having RAM capacity problems, something is wrong on the software side. Memory leaks are one example of how that can be true.

StLouisMan2

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
RAM is (random access memory), its totally different from processors. It holds temporary memory for recently used programs ,apps for faster loading times. As things advance programs/systems will require more ram. For example now a days windows for optimal performance on 90% of applications gaming ect.. Would be 8 GB anymore is a waste of money unless your doing something heavy.

So basically, if you put more then what is really needed its a waste of money, it won't be used.

Thank you so much for responding! You have hit my point exactly! Why is RAM so precious that money can't be "wasted" on unused capacity? That is, why does it cost so much? They give you a computer with a terabyte hard drive which most people will never use, why not give them 5 or 10 gigabytes of RAM that they may never use? Thanks again for your help.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary