I have a Galaxy Note 3, Verizon, unrooted, Stock 4.4.4. Works great overall.

My main complaint is high battery consumption by "Media" where it is generally the highest by the end of the day, with an hour and a half of CPU usage, around 25% or so of the battery. I have a Sandisk 64gb Class 10 MicroSD. It contains in excess of 20,000 Jpegs from my DSLR collection over the last 10 years, that I do want to have access to on my phone.

I have researched this ad nauseum, reformatted the card, tried a different Card, different File Systems, cleared the Media Data and Cache, wiped the Cache Partition, etc. My conclusion is that Android has a glitch in how it deals with SD cards containing large numbers of files, and possibly especially if they contain characters such as "_" which all of my photos do.

As a work-around, I just unmount the SD card each morning, and can just remount it when I need it. This works, and Media consumption is there, but fairly minimal, and battery life is significantly better.

Anyway, with that long preamble, has this been fixed in Lollipop? Have any of you, who have had the Media problem described above, found that this problem goes away with Lollipop?

Thanks.
    02-05-2015 09:07 AM
    Wow, that is a lot of photos! I'm not sure if it's a glitch per se--it might actually be normal operation, but in an unusual circumstance. The system's Media Scanner periodically scans all directories for new media in order to keep its databases (like those for the Gallery and the Music apps) up to date. It may be that it takes a much longer time scanning through 20,000+ files compared to the more typical hundreds to maybe a few thousands that most people may have, and if it's happening multiple times in a day, that may become very significant.
    02-05-2015 10:29 AM
    Wow, that is a lot of photos! I'm not sure if it's a glitch per se--it might actually be normal operation, but in an unusual circumstance. The system's Media Scanner periodically scans all directories for new media in order to keep its databases (like those for the Gallery and the Music apps) up to date. It may be that it takes a much longer time scanning through 20,000+ files compared to the more typical hundreds to maybe a few thousands that most people may have, and if it's happening multiple times in a day, that may become very significant.
    Thanks for the reply. Yes it is a lot. And I've seen posts by others with mp3 files in excess of 70,000, with similar problems.

The Media Scanner behavior is likely the source of the CPU and Battery Consumption, as you point out. But somehow there should be a way to handle this more efficiently, of only doing a comprehensive scan when files are added, changed, or somehow otherwise flagged as being new.

Since this has been a frequently reported problem, I was hoping that the Operating System could be tweaked to address this situation, and be more efficient in how and when the database needs to be updated. Or at least put in a manual control, so that it only is done when the User chooses for it to be done.

Anybody with this problem, who now has Lollipop, that can offer any experience reports?
    02-05-2015 11:23 AM
    This might help, but you need to root and install Xposed Framework: Xposed Media Scanner Optimizer | Xposed Module Repository
    02-05-2015 12:29 PM
    This might help, but you need to root and install Xposed Framework: Xposed Media Scanner Optimizer | Xposed Module Repository
    Thanks, Diddy, but root isn't an option for me with Stock 4.4.4. That ship has sailed, unfortunately.

But as I said, a simple user-controlled switch for the Media Scanner would be a nice option for Android. Or at least give us that option in 'Developer Options' mode, without requiring root.

Still hoping, though, that perhaps they built something into Lollipop to improve situations like mine.
    02-05-2015 12:38 PM