Hi folks,

Since upgrading to Lollipop a few days ago on my S5, I've noticed that something is downloading an enormous amount of data in the background. I usually use around 60mb a day, but on average the phone is chewing up around 300mb per day. On the first day after upgrade it ate up 800mb..!!

I've set updates to run via wifi only, and have experimented with disabling various sync options via Accounts. I've set Google Play Store to download background data via wifi only which seems to have done the trick (40mb used today so far, all of which is accountable), but unfortunately this now means I can't actually access the Play Store itself?

I'll try and attach some screengrabs showing data usage over this period. You'll notice that the data use of the Play Store is showing up as 1.42Gb over wifi, but it definitely downloaded over 4G...!

Thanks all,

Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Excessive Background Data Usage - Google Play Store?-screenshot_2015-02-07-20-11-04.jpg   Excessive Background Data Usage - Google Play Store?-screenshot_2015-02-07-20-11-33.jpg   Excessive Background Data Usage - Google Play Store?-screenshot_2015-02-07-20-42-10.jpg   Excessive Background Data Usage - Google Play Store?-screenshot_2015-02-07-20-58-25.jpg  
    02-09-2015 11:38 AM
    Hi folks,

Since upgrading to Lollipop a few days ago on my S5, I've noticed that something is downloading an enormous amount of data in the background. I usually use around 60mb a day, but on average the phone is chewing up around 300mb per day. On the first day after upgrade it ate up 800mb..!!

I've set updates to run via wifi only, and have experimented with disabling various sync options via Accounts. I've set Google Play Store to download background data via wifi only which seems to have done the trick (40mb used today so far, all of which is accountable), but unfortunately this now means I can't actually access the Play Store itself?

I'll try and attach some screengrabs showing data usage over this period. You'll notice that the data use of the Play Store is showing up as 1.42Gb over wifi, but it definitely downloaded over 4G...!

Thanks all,

Dan
    Well you could disable data in settings, or disable the play store. This is one reason I hate the Google Play Store. The Android Market is still better.
    02-09-2015 11:59 AM
    That's the problem - plenty of my apps were downloaded via the Play Store, so not an option really...
    02-09-2015 02:20 PM
    That's the problem - plenty of my apps were downloaded via the Play Store, so not an option really...
    You can restrict background data for Google store. It will work through Wi-Fi only.
    02-10-2015 02:05 PM
    You can restrict background data for Google store. It will work through Wi-Fi only.
    That's exactly what I did, and it still munched it's way through 250MB of data this evening while I was walking home and listening to music...really not happy about this, and I'm even contemplating switching to the dreaded iOS if it continues...
    02-10-2015 02:10 PM
    That's exactly what I did, and it still munched it's way through 250MB of data this evening while I was walking home and listening to music...really not happy about this, and I'm even contemplating switching to the dreaded iOS if it continues...
    Hmm... In my case restricting background data for an app does the job. Google play store shown as "restricted" and no data consumed on my N4 phone. Was it Play store consuming data? Are you sure?
    02-10-2015 02:57 PM
    Hmm... In my case restricting background data for an app does the job. Google play store shown as "restricted" and no data consumed on my N4 phone. Was it Play store consuming data? Are you sure?
    Nope, it wasn't Play Store as mentioned above. I restricted background data for the Play Store, but something else ate up my data this evening...my photos are set to backup via wifi only, so it's not that.

Just had a thought - when I upgraded to Lollipop I performed a factory reset, but didn't erase my SD card which contains loads of music. I'm wondering if it's backing music up to the cloud from the SD card perhaps..?
    02-10-2015 03:03 PM
    Nope, it wasn't Play Store as mentioned above. I restricted background data for the Play Store, but something else ate up my data this evening...my photos are set to backup via wifi only, so it's not that.

Just had a thought - when I upgraded to Lollipop I performed a factory reset, but didn't erase my SD card which contains loads of music. I'm wondering if it's backing music up to the cloud from the SD card perhaps..?
    Quite possible. But what is shown on the settings->Data usage? I can see what app consumes the data. You should see it too. Was it Google+?
    I actually went through my apps and restricted background data for all apps, unless I know it should not be restricted (e.g. e-mail).
    02-10-2015 03:13 PM
    Quite possible. But what is shown on the settings->Data usage? I can see what app consumes the data. You should see it too. Was it Google+?
    I actually went through my apps and restricted background data for all apps, unless I know it should not be restricted (e.g. e-mail).
    It's showing 297MB for the past 6 days which is wrong, as 3g Watchdog shows 300MB for today only ("OS services + others" - 250MB on it's own)...
    02-10-2015 03:18 PM
    It's showing 297MB for the past 6 days which is wrong, as 3g Watchdog shows 300MB for today only ("OS services + others" - 250MB on it's own)...
    You didn't write what app consumed the data according to "Data usage" (in settings). In my case it's a list sorted out by data consumption. On the top the biggest hog. May be your phone setting are different. I have Nexus 4.
    02-10-2015 03:27 PM
    Do you have Snapchat installed?
    02-10-2015 03:29 PM
    The biggest app is Facebook at 65mb, but that's for the last 6 days (I can't see how to see stats from today only in Data usage?) However, 3G Watchdog reports "OS Services + others" as 250MB for today only...why doesn't Data usage report this?
    02-10-2015 03:31 PM
    Hmmm, just reading up on 3G Watchdog and seems as though there may be issues with it on Lollipop - seems as though a few people are experiencing inaccurate readings. For example, it reports 500MB MORE than my Vodafone app. Going to try and alternative and see how that goes...thanks for all your help folks.
    02-10-2015 03:41 PM
    Hmmm, just reading up on 3G Watchdog and seems as though there may be issues with it on Lollipop - seems as though a few people are experiencing inaccurate readings. For example, it reports 500MB MORE than my Vodafone app. Going to try and alternative and see how that goes...thanks for all your help folks.
    Try My Data Manager.
    02-10-2015 04:15 PM
    The biggest app is Facebook at 65mb, but that's for the last 6 days (I can't see how to see stats from today only in Data usage?) However, 3G Watchdog reports "OS Services + others" as 250MB for today only...why doesn't Data usage report this?
    You can move sliders to the left/right on the chart (of data usage) to select the start and end dates. It will show data consumption for the selected range of dates.
    02-11-2015 12:08 PM
    I had the same problem with 3G Watchdog Pro when I updated to Lollipop. It's an app specific problem. I have since disabled 3G Watchdog Pro and I am now using Data Status available in the Play store. Hope this helps.
    04-22-2015 08:32 AM
    Hi folks,

Thanks all,

Dan
    Hi Dan,

I am having the same problem here. But, it worse than yours. In my case, you can look at your "photos" app which is available when you using lollipop by default. In my case, i turn on any other folder to auto back up to my google drive. And it is take about 10 gb of my internet quota. Hope this can help you.

Cheers,
    Ronald
    10-18-2015 11:01 AM
    In my case in a single day 4 GB used by os services over wifi! Using lollipop os
    05-14-2016 07:38 PM