Hey guys,

I recently heard about T-Mobile [finally] releasing Lollipop for the G3 phones. I was told it was available now through LG's mobile support tool. After having it confirmed as legitimate, I found out an OTA is due on the 7th this month. Unfortunately, as it is done by zip code and not all at once, I am afraid I may have to wait several more weeks.

While I know I can wait, I simply don't want to. I've been waiting since last year. I was wondering what the pros and cons of doing it manually are? Will it erase all my data (requiring a lengthy backup? What apps can I use to back things up without rooting (and possibly free but I'll pay if I have to)).

I found a walk-through from LG but am still feeling nervous. Is there a possibility this could brick the phone? Void my warranty? If anyone has a surefire way this can work and would like to share, please feel free. I eagerly await any info and answers.

Thanks.
    04-05-2015 03:26 PM
    Hey guys,

I recently heard about T-Mobile [finally] releasing Lollipop for the G3 phones. I was told it was available now through LG's mobile support tool. After having it confirmed as legitimate, I found out an OTA is due on the 7th this month. Unfortunately, as it is done by zip code and not all at once, I am afraid I may have to wait several more weeks.

While I know I can wait, I simply don't want to. I've been waiting since last year. I was wondering what the pros and cons of doing it manually are? Will it erase all my data (requiring a lengthy backup? What apps can I use to back things up without rooting (and possibly free but I'll pay if I have to)).

I found a walk-through from LG but am still feeling nervous. Is there a possibility this could brick the phone? Void my warranty? If anyone has a surefire way this can work and would like to share, please feel free. I eagerly await any info and answers.

Thanks.
    Welcome to Android Central!

Best guaranteed way would be to just wait for the OTA. I would back up all my data and do a factory reset after the update either way. People have had a lot of issues after doing the update and doing a factory reset usually fixes the issues.
    04-06-2015 12:50 PM