SD Card lock still an issue with Android L on Galaxy S4?

RJ Phillips

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
When Android 4.4 update came out it came with the most horrible feature that prevented me from deleting what I wanted off my sd card. I had to plug my phone into a computer and switch to mass media and delete files using my computer. I was told or read somewhere that Android L removed this horrible restriction but for some reason I'm still having issues deleting easily without using a computer. Anyone else having this issue and if not can you tell me how to remove this feature? Thank you

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi there,

Yes, the security imposed on SD Cards was a controversial one on KitKat, and no, it's not entirely lifted on Lollipop. Developers, however, do have the ability to gain access to the card now. On KitKat, they could only access files on folders the app itself created, which is why you couldn't move things around unless you were using the stock file manager. On Lollipop, the same security measures apply, but now developers have the option to enable 'outside' access to SD card files. However, the caveat here is that the DEVELOPER needs to update the app for this to happen.

Android 5.0 Lollipop changes the way your SD card works — and that's a good thing | Android Central

RJ Phillips

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the response, also quick too :). I just don't get why I can't just delete files. I work security and DJ and if I put a file on my sd card like music or tv show avi's I should be able to delete them when I want without connecting to a computer. User permissions should be my choice.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
And you can still do it... just using the stock apps (those still have full SD Card access). But if you choose to use a 3rd party app, then that app needs to have the right permissions. It's an annoyance to most, but in the end, a necessary evil to keep things more secure.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma