Lollipop 5.0 Notifications - how can I hear text notifications while ringer & messages muted?

A

AC Question

Lollipop 5.0 Notifications -want to hear text notifications while ringer & messages muted

I have an S5 on 5.0 and I'm having issues with the sound notifications.
Prior to 5.0 I could mute everything but the text messages (important to me for work reasons; on-call nights I can mute phone & email but text still come through).
I've skimmed a ton of stuff on the new sound & interruption settings but I don't see anything that gets me to that set-up again. (Also tried to search forum here before posting, sorry if this is repeat.)
I see that some changes are intentional and some seem to be bugs?
Afraid to upgrade my personal phone until I have work around, and really stuck on the work phone -
Any help appreciated :)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Lollipop 5.0 Notifications -want to hear text notifications while ringer & messages muted

To the best of my knowledge, the Mute option on your phone has always silenced everything, even text and calls, unless you're using the Do Not Disturb option with exceptions for calls/messages. Not sure if on S5 it's the same or not, but I'm guessing it should since the Note 4 and Tab S share similar features, but Samsung's Lollipop update didn't do away with the Mute button. So, if you Mute your phone, all your sounds are muted. BUT you can still use the DND feature and set your texts as exceptions so that those still come through.

LWho

May 5, 2015
Visit site
Re: Lollipop 5.0 Notifications -want to hear text notifications while ringer & messages muted

Hiya, thanks for reply - that OP was posted by me pre-registration.
I realize that I was actually using the BLOCK feature with a few contacts specified to break through the block.
I'm still looking around in the Interruption feature, where I can't list specifics I can only point to favorites or all (this is annoying, but I can work with this limit). But when I text from a favorite contact - there's still no audible notification. (I tried with no specific time indicated and with a specific time - none of the test texts prompted a sound notification at all).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37