My phone is prompting me to update from Kit Kat to Lollipop. The size of the update is about 1GB and has been downloaded and ready for installation. The 1GB file size is worrisome because I have a 1GB data plan, after downloading the 1GB update, I would have no data to use on the phone (fortunately, I had Mobile Data turned off and have wifi turned on).

Is there a way for Android notify me of an update being available but do not download the update? This would be similar to Windows Update "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them". I would then download the update by turning on the wifi.
    05-12-2015 02:53 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! I think that depends on the phone--some may give you that option. I don't think my Nexus 5 does.
    baume likes this.
    05-12-2015 04:57 PM
    I don't know of anything that has those options, but my carrier doesn't let me download unless I'm connected to WiFi.

When I had T-mobile, and my phone updated using data, it never charged me.
    baume likes this.
    05-12-2015 05:36 PM
    My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S5. I hope it will not use my data plan to download such a large file.
    05-12-2015 06:05 PM
    Where are you located and who is your carrier?
    baume likes this.
    05-12-2015 06:26 PM
    Settings > About Device > Software Update > Wifi Only
    05-13-2015 11:39 AM
    Settings > About Device > Software Update > Wifi Only
    Mine doesn't have the option to choose, but all my OTA updates will only update over WiFi. It tells me it is available and I need to be connected to WiFi.
    05-13-2015 11:43 AM
    That Software Update lets you update software immediately and choose if you to update over wifi or auto-update (via mobile data). There is an "auto-sync" option elsewhere, I think if that is unchecked, Android will not update automatically but send a notification out that an update is available.

There is a YouTube video that showed this, I can't post the link as I do not have the post count yet but the video id is:
    watch?v=ugZSfVnJX3o

It is unclear why in the video, the wifi is unchecked and update is done via mobile data. I would think people would want to update via wifi to save mobile data.
    05-13-2015 12:59 PM
    That Software Update lets you update software immediately and choose if you to update over wifi or auto-update (via mobile data). There is an "auto-sync" option elsewhere, I think if that is unchecked, Android will not update automatically but send a notification out that an update is available.

There is a YouTube video that showed this, I can't post the link as I do not have the post count yet but the video id is:
    watch?v=ugZSfVnJX3o

It is unclear why in the video, the wifi is unchecked and update is done via mobile data. I would think people would want to update via wifi to save mobile data.
    It might not be that way for everyone. Different carriers will disable different things. AT&T is the worst about disabling things.

A lot of people still have unlimited data or have large data plans.
    05-13-2015 01:50 PM