I've been using Smart Lock since it first became available, but this is the first time I have seen this notification. Looking back, I think it has always functioned this way (locking after 4 hours); it just never bothered to post a notification before.

Smart Lock - Phone locked after 4 hours of inactivity-screenshot.jpg

This is a Nexus 6 running 5.1, by the way.
    05-26-2015 07:24 AM
    That's WAY too long. If you leave your phone somewhere, someone has 4 hours to play with your apps and email himself all sorts of data you may want kept private. Unless you normally use an app once every 15 minutes or so, a minute or two is a long lock time. 30 seconds is not much more trouble, and it's a lot safer.
    05-26-2015 07:38 AM
    No, this is Smart Lock we are talking about. So, for example, I have my home set as a Trusted Location, meaning that so long as my phone is within a relatively small perimeter of my home address it will stay unlocked unless I deliberately lock it. As soon as the phone moves away from my home it automatically locks. In normal locations (that is, not trusted) my phone locks after 2 minutes.

Anyway, I was commenting on the new notification which never appeared prior to today. I have always used Smart Lock / Trusted Location (I also have a "trusted" NFC tag in my car's phone mount) but I have never seen this notification before.
    05-26-2015 07:47 AM
    I think that notification is a new feature in the latest Play services update. The trust timeout in the the Smart lock was always there, but now they let you know

Could you do me a favor? Check which Google play services version you have. It should be the new 7.5
    05-26-2015 08:06 AM
    7.5.71 - not certain when it last updated.

Now that they are going to notify me (every morning unless I make certain I wake up the phone at least once during the night ), it would be nice if they also allowed me to choose the auto-lock timeout. Some people might be comfortable with a much shorter period, others with one that is much longer.
    05-26-2015 08:14 AM
    As far as I know you can't change that timeout. You could try to change how that notification works. Long press on it - app info and then change things for that app in the sound & notifications settings.
    05-26-2015 08:44 AM
    Aha, that explains why I have to use my PIN in the morning and other odd times of the day when I haven't used my phone for awhile. I originally thought it was a bug or my phone was rebooting itself overnight, but now I see it as a feature, and I like it!
    05-26-2015 10:36 AM
    I don't like having it lock at all in my "safe place". Does anyone have a way to remove the time limit?
    06-02-2015 07:10 PM
    I don't like having it lock at all in my "safe place". Does anyone have a way to remove the time limit?
    I'm guessing it could probably be done on a rooted phone. If yours is already rooted, or you are willing to do so, you might want to inquire at the XDA developers forum.
    06-03-2015 07:16 AM
    I understand this, but it'd be nice if I could disable this. It kind of defeats the purpose to keep entering a password so you don't always have to enter a password. I want to use the fingerprint for security but the nfc smart lock is good for when I wear gloves but I don't use it enough that the 4 hour kicks in every time. It's almost like they are 'sort of trusted'.
    01-21-2016 10:03 PM