iOS vs Android a question?

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I am not sure where to put this thread, so I chose here. One of my serious complaints on iOS vs Android is that on the iPhones, almost everyone gets the latest and greatest updates pretty much right then and there (as long as its a newer iPhone). Android, we wait, wait, wait, wait, and wait for the carriers (and Google) to deem us worthy of getting the latest software updates. Google may be on Google Android version Super duper munchy cookie, but what good does that do me, if I am stuck on lollipop 5.02 from AT&T and they decide that nope, my M8 is not worthy to get any further updates till I buy a new phone from them? I wish Google would take back some of the control from the carriers much like Apple did, and make them update our phones in a timely and reasonable manner! Why should we have to purchase a new phone in order to upgrade to a newer version of Android!? Why can't we get at least a promised two year or better upgrade time frame? Ok, rant over...

Fedginator

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
The problem is OEMS actually modifying android - if google rolled out updates any custom stuff the oem added would get wiped if google didn't support them. Also consider how some only looks after about 5 phones as opposed to the hundreds that run android

Posted via the Android Central App

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
That's one of the reasons I find myself swapping as often as I have. Then after a while I get bored with the simplicity of iOS and want a little more tweak ability and switch back to Android.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
The problem is OEMS actually modifying android - if google rolled out updates any custom stuff the oem added would get wiped if google didn't support them. Also consider how some only looks after about 5 phones as opposed to the hundreds that run android

I still think if there was a way for Google/OEM's to bypass the carriers it would be a more streamlined process. It does drive me a bit crazy that updates take so long. My current device is unlocked straight from the OEM, so I should get updates quickly, but when I've bought from carriers it's painfully slow.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I still think if there was a way for Google/OEM's to bypass the carriers it would be a more streamlined process. It does drive me a bit crazy that updates take so long. My current device is unlocked straight from the OEM, so I should get updates quickly, but when I've bought from carriers it's painfully slow.

The carrier tends to get a lot of the blame but there would be nothing for the carrier to delay if the OEM wasn't working on the update.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I am not sure where to put this thread, so I chose here. One of my serious complaints on iOS vs Android is that on the iPhones, almost everyone gets the latest and greatest updates pretty much right then and there (as long as its a newer iPhone). Android, we wait, wait, wait, wait, and wait for the carriers (and Google) to deem us worthy of getting the latest software updates. Google may be on Google Android version Super duper munchy cookie, but what good does that do me, if I am stuck on lollipop 5.02 from AT&T and they decide that nope, my M8 is not worthy to get any further updates till I buy a new phone from them? I wish Google would take back some of the control from the carriers much like Apple did, and make them update our phones in a timely and reasonable manner! Why should we have to purchase a new phone in order to upgrade to a newer version of Android!? Why can't we get at least a promised two year or better upgrade time frame? Ok, rant over...

Open vs closed.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
The carrier tends to get a lot of the blame but there would be nothing for the carrier to delay if the OEM wasn't working on the update.

I don't know if I agree with that. When there were GPE devices they got updates way faster than carrier devices.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if I agree with that. When there were GPE devices they got updates way faster than carrier devices.

So would you blame Verizon if the HTC One Mini 2 doesn't get Lollipop?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Oh and my first gen Moto X for Verizon got KitKay via OTA before KitKat OTAs came out for some Nexus devices.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
So would you blame Verizon if the HTC One Mini 2 doesn't get Lollipop?

Not so much on older devices. I'm talking about phones that get updates on the unlocked variants , but carrier devices take months longer.

ericmazariegos

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
one word: fragmentation. Google has to make software to accommodate thousands of different phones. A plethora of GPUs, CPUs, etc. And it has to make sure they run smoothly. Apple only needs to make software for one operating system that is essentially consistent across very few devices. Also, Apple only makes high end devices, whereas the majority of Android phones out there are mid to low end. China or India for example. And so, those phones don't get updated beyond what you buy them with. One thing to solve this is to buy Nexus devices. My 2012 Nexus 7 has updated twice or three times this year alone. (Whether or not that update is stable is another story). Same goes for my Nexus 4. Problem is, these Nexus devices are often not the best, most complete device. An iPhone 6 Plus is easily the best phone right now. Note 4, surely its closest competitor. That's what I have at the moment. And my phone has gotten 1 update since I bought it, lol. An update that was overdue at that. Meanwhile, when iOS has an update, everyone and their grandmother is talking about it. It's just two different worlds really, for two different types of people. I'd argue that if you have a high end phone on either platform (latest iPhone or Android flagship) you should be set in terms of practicality and use, but I do get frustrated as well when my note 4 is barely on 5.0 with a plethora of bugs when 5.1.1 has been release to Nexus devices that squash said bugs, and I have to wait for that. And before I get that, I'll probably just get the next Note device, and the process repeats itself...

Zoostation

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
one word: fragmentation. Google has to make software to accommodate thousands of different phones. A plethora of GPUs, CPUs, etc. And it has to make sure they run smoothly. Apple only needs to make software for one operating system that is essentially consistent across very few devices. Also, Apple only makes high end devices, whereas the majority of Android phones out there are mid to low end. China or India for example. And so, those phones don't get updated beyond what you buy them with. One thing to solve this is to buy Nexus devices. My 2012 Nexus 7 has updated twice or three times this year alone. (Whether or not that update is stable is another story). Same goes for my Nexus 4. Problem is, these Nexus devices are often not the best, most complete device. An iPhone 6 Plus is easily the best phone right now. Note 4, surely its closest competitor. That's what I have at the moment. And my phone has gotten 1 update since I bought it, lol. An update that was overdue at that. Meanwhile, when iOS has an update, everyone and their grandmother is talking about it. It's just two different worlds really, for two different types of people. I'd argue that if you have a high end phone on either platform (latest iPhone or Android flagship) you should be set in terms of practicality and use, but I do get frustrated as well when my note 4 is barely on 5.0 with a plethora of bugs when 5.1.1 has been release to Nexus devices that squash said bugs, and I have to wait for that. And before I get that, I'll probably just get the next Note device, and the process repeats itself...

I have to disagree with the "only high end devices" portion because the current iPhone 5C is far from high end and has dropped lower since they discontinued the 16 and 32GB options - replacing it with an 8GB as the only one available.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Not so much on older devices. I'm talking about phones that get updates on the unlocked variants , but carrier devices take months longer.

Yet the unlocked first gen Moto X got KitKat after the Verizon version.

It comes down to priorities and resources.

wordfool

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
one word: fragmentation.

Exactly... the beauty and the curse of Apple devices is the closed ecosystem and limited number of hardware configurations the OS has to run on. If Apple licenses OS-X and iOS to third party OEMs who are free to add their own bloatware and hardware configurations then iOS would be as fragmented (and buggy) as Android and OS-X would have the same reputation as Windows.

As someone about to do a second reset/reinstall to try and get some basic Lollipop features working correctly, I've often thought about getting an iPhone.

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

WELL SAID !!! 😉👌

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 "Size Does Matter!"

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173