Android 5 a step backwards!

gailbj

May 27, 2015
Visit site
I recently got a new phone (Moto G 2nd) with Android 5 Lollipop and I think the OS is steps backwards from the Android OS on my previous phone (Samsung S3). I'm no geek but fairly adept at tweaking phone (and computer) settings.

Removal of ICE contacts on the lock screen

Now you can only dial a number manually from the lockscreen, possibly impossible if you're in an emergency. What were the developers thinking? I had an emergency a few weeks ago. I would have been able to click on an ice number but not type out a number if I could even remember one when under duress!

More difficult to set up what is now called interruptions.

So easy to set up on the previous OS. Challenging on OS5. The settings can be inadvertently and easily changed when you push the volume button.

Can only delete ALL messages in a messaging thread, unless you lock individual ones....one at a time.

Setting up phone contacts in the phone book is MUCH more difficult, less intuitive to set up than before. I spent hours on this one, including asking questions in forums, on the phone with my provider and Motorola tech support....second level tech support. The Motorola tech support even remotely looked at my screen.

I was really a happy Android user, now I'm a very frustrated one.

Anyone agree with me that these things are a step backwards?

Thank you.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think a lot of people would agree that the whole Interruptions system was not that well-implemented. Hopefully they'll make it more practical in Android M, but I haven't tried the preview yet to see.

Other things you mention are probably more of a manufacturer decision, rather than a Google decision. Vanilla Android hasn't had a lockscreen ICE contact button for as long as I remember, and the Messaging app you're talking about is presumably the Motorola stock app.

I almost never enter contacts directly into the phone--I rely on Google Contacts on the web, because it's easier, and then the contact automatically syncs with my phone. If you're entering them directly onto the phone because you want them on your Phone account (rather than on your Google account), then make sure you back them up frequently somewhere, because they're not going to back up to Google.

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I recently got a new phone (Moto G 2nd) with Android 5 Lollipop and I think the OS is steps backwards from the Android OS on my previous phone (Samsung S3). I'm no geek but fairly adept at tweaking phone (and computer) settings.

Removal of ICE contacts on the lock screen

Now you can only dial a number manually from the lockscreen, possibly impossible if you're in an emergency. What were the developers thinking? I had an emergency a few weeks ago. I would have been able to click on an ice number but not type out a number if I could even remember one when under duress!

More difficult to set up what is now called interruptions.

So easy to set up on the previous OS. Challenging on OS5. The settings can be inadvertently and easily changed when you push the volume button.

Can only delete ALL messages in a messaging thread, unless you lock individual ones....one at a time.

Setting up phone contacts in the phone book is MUCH more difficult, less intuitive to set up than before. I spent hours on this one, including asking questions in forums, on the phone with my provider and Motorola tech support....second level tech support. The Motorola tech support even remotely looked at my screen.

I was really a happy Android user, now I'm a very frustrated one.

Anyone agree with me that these things are a step backwards?

Thank you.

I agree that 5.0 Lollipop is a step backwards, I hate it!
Hoping "M" is released soon!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 "Size Does Matter!"

gailbj

May 27, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your insights. I do think something has to be done about the ICE contactsn. I think it's irresponsible for them not to put ICE contacts on the lockscreen.

Hopefully manufacturers and developers will get the other things sorted out.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude