Hi I'm pretty clueless with tech...please keep it simple! I'm in the UK.

So I purchased an A grade note 4 from a local shop - perfect physical and working condition.*

I then realised it was a french carrier but is unlocked.*

It's running on 4.4.4*

I tried to update to 5.0.1 because I think that's the latest in France?*
    I was unable to do so via Kies or OTA because a message came up saying I needed to install usb drivers.

I am pretty clueless about this stuff - is it normal there not being drivers?*

I couldn't seem to do it via Kies or Samsung website (model number didn't come up on Samsung site?)

So I went to some android site and connected my phone via USB and it *appeared* that drivers were successfully installed.

So tried firmware update again. ..didn't work. ..appeared to be same problem.*

My phone model is sm-n910f. The original carrier was sfr, but I'm on 3 now and in the UK where I purchased this.

Any help and way forward*please?
    06-04-2015 03:51 PM
    I was unable to do so via Kies or OTA because a message came up saying I needed to install usb drivers.

I am pretty clueless about this stuff - is it normal there not being drivers?*
    The driver is a program that gets installed on the computer you're running Kies on. Click on Tools in Kies, and you'll see an "Install drivers" item. Click it and it'll install the driver to the computer.

I couldn't seem to do it via Kies or Samsung website (model number didn't come up on Samsung site?)
    One thing Samsung did right - there's one Windows driver for all Samsung smartphones. (Well ... there's no more Windows XP driver on their site, as far as I know, and that's different than the Vista/7/8 driver, but the current driver will run on any computer running Windows 7 or any variant of Windows 8.) The phone model doesn't matter. The link to the driver files is SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones if you decide to download them and install them manually.

So I went to some android site and connected my phone via USB and it *appeared* that drivers were successfully installed.
    You can see the phone in the computer without drivers - it's a generic USB storage device to the computer. But to run Kies or adb you need the driver files installed.

And you can use 5.0.1, but 5.0, 5.0.1 and 5.0.2 have a memory leak (the same bug - Google added features but didn't bother addressing a HUGE bug). Unless there's a reason to update to 5.0.1, I'd stay on 4.4.4. (I'm still on 4.4.2 on my Note 3 and it's working fine. I don't have the fix for the OpenSSL bug [which came in 4.4.4] but I don't do anything with my phone that I care if anyone sees. [You want to steal my latest Solitaire score? Or read my contact list? Go ahead. You want my banking information? It's not on my phone.])
    kazza007 likes this.
    06-04-2015 04:26 PM
    Thanks for your help.

I didn't see tools in Kies. I'll have another look.

I was worried I'd got a dodgy phone model. Seems OK?

Although I'm sure it's fine I'd like lollipop or latest if possible so determined to try it.

Won't be able to til next week as I'm away but I'll report back.

Thanks
    06-04-2015 05:47 PM
    So I had some time this evening and tried this again.

Went to kies. There was no 'install drivers'...just 'reinstall drivers'. I clicked this and weirdly it said disconnect phone before proceeding. Should not the phone not be connected for installation? I tried both ways. Not sure if anything happened. I am finding kies useless and irritating.

Then I went through the time consuming attempt at wifi update of firmware and suprise suprise no effect.

I am finding it irritating.

Should the phone not have been pretty installed with usb drivers?

Why does it say 'reinstall drivers'? Does that mean my phone has them? If so why can't it update from 4.4.4? Is there an easy way of actually checking?

Is it because it's a french carrier?

I bought the phone outright ...it was an A Grade and I paid good money.

I don't want a phone that I cannot use the latest software. It's pointless. And the shop don't do refunds only exchanges.

So I'm away for a few days and I'll try your other method next week.

In the meantime any help or comments will be appreciated in resolving this.

Thanks
    06-05-2015 04:16 PM