I have a Samsung tab galaxy s 8.4 running lollipop with a 64 gb sd card. I'm relatively new to android and have run out of space on the device which was 16gb. I bought a 64gb sd card and am wondering if one can move and install apps directly to the SD card without rooting and what app is the most useful in accomplishing this. Any information appreciated.

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-09-2015 01:39 PM
    Not without root, unfortunately. Your device should support moving apps to the SD card (but the initial install will always be in the internal memory). However, bear in mind that the move to SD card depends on the developer and not the OS. If the developer didn't enable that for their app, you won't be able to move it with the stock options. Furthermore, the main app files will ALWAYS reside in your internal memory, and again, it's up to each dev to decide what can be moved: media files, external downloads, game save files, etc.
    06-09-2015 02:58 PM
    Thank you for the information, it was much appreciated. Is it worth rooting yor device? Do you have to unroot it to receive os updates?

06-10-2015 04:43 PM
    It's worth rooting if you know what you're doing. There are quite a few nice 'hacks' that improve your device's functionality, like adding MultiWindow support for all apps, being able to 'trick' your device into thinking the SD card is a part of your internal memory, graphical changes to the interface, etc. But it comes at the cost of higher security risks (you're entire system is open, so you can delete or modify the wrong file by accident and bork your device entirely) and no system updates. You can unroot to update, of course.

Bear in mind that some apps also block their use if they detect you have a rooted phone to avoid piracy.
    06-11-2015 03:47 PM
    Once again, thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

06-11-2015 07:24 PM
    Not a problem! Glad to help!
    06-12-2015 10:52 AM