How do I increase the speed of WiFi Local LAN?

Mahesh Abnave

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Increasing speed of WiFi Local LAN

I have Tp-Link router (TL-WR941ND_V5) to which I connect my laptop (Dell XPS 15, Core i7, 12 GB RAM, Windows 8.1) and mobile (Nexus 6).

I get torrent download speed at least 2 Mbps. So downloading a file say 600MB completes in few minutes. However when I try to copy a file from my mobile to PC's shared folder (using ES Explorer) or from PC's shared folder to mobile (using ES Explorer), it takes almost 12+ minutes to complete it.

How can I speedup this? What might be the bottleneck here?

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Increasing speed of WiFi Local LAN

I have Tp-Link router (TL-WR941ND_V5) to which I connect my laptop (Dell XPS 15, Core i7, 12 GB RAM, Windows 8.1) and mobile (Nexus 6).

I get torrent download speed at least 2 Mbps. So downloading a file say 600MB completes in few minutes. However when I try to copy a file from my mobile to PC's shared folder (using ES Explorer) or from PC's shared folder to mobile (using ES Explorer), it takes almost 12+ minutes to complete it.

How can I speedup this? What might be the bottleneck here?

Welcome to Android Central!

It could be the router and the connection to the phone. I see that the router is not a 10/100/1000 router. I recently switched to a 10/100/1000 router and transferring files between machine doubled in speed. Check your wireless security as well and make sure there is not limit or anything slowing it down when doing internal transfers.

Pierre gamble

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site

Try just using the basic wifi mobile to pc transfer app.. There are plenty and thěre uploading speeds are pretty fast.. Much faster than 12 minutes.. Read the app score and review as you most likely know this.. How fast is your ISP plan? Try using a wifi channel that doesnt have a hundred other users on..the less users on a channel the faster your Internet speeds going to be.. Try downloading wifi360, that app will give you all the specs about your mobile wifi connection, what channel the best speed would be, etc, etc.. Good Luck

Mahesh Abnave

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

The culprit was Samba server used internally by ES Explorer. Samba is a lot slow. I switcher to WiFi FTP app on Nexus and WInSCP on my PC and started getting 4Mbps+, transferring 8 MB file took 3 minutes. For details check out my thread at superuser <dot> com <slash> a <slash> 927854 <slash> 144021 titled "Increasing speed of WiFi Local LAN"