I have a Samsung Note 4 with lollipop 5.0.1 installed. Currently the default download for files and Apps is set to use the internal memory. I would instead like to set the default to my SD card. I used to be able to do this with my previous Samsung Galaxy S3 but can not find the settings under Lollipop to do this. Someone told me this was impossible but I know I used to be able to do this on another Android phone. If someone has this phone and can take me thru the steps I would appreciate it.

Samsung says they radically changed how they handle SD cards under lollipop so the kitkat methods no longer work. I can't believe they would have disabled this feature.

Rocco
    06-15-2015 03:54 PM
    Well, believe it or not, it is. Short answer is you can't set the SD Card as the default storage/installation path. Period.

That is, of course, unless you're rooted. If you root your phone, you can install hacks or modify code to make your phone install things on the SD card or think that the SD Card is part of the internal memory. I STRONGLY ADVISE AGAINST THIS FOR APPS. SD Cards are NOT reliable. And should you remove an SD card with apps in it and re-insert it, it will wreak havoc in your shortcuts, icons, widgets, etc.

Some apps will still let you install secondary files to SD Cards, but the main app file is always meant to reside in the phone, and it's up to each dev to decide what data, if any, can be moved to external storage.
    et_tu_brute likes this.
    06-15-2015 04:30 PM
    SpookDroid,

Thank you. I was afraid that would be the answer.

Rocco
    06-16-2015 07:54 AM
    Not sure if 'M' makes things easier for SD cards, but I don't think they'll bring back SD card as a default app install location (and IMHO, they shouldn't...).
    06-16-2015 02:50 PM
    Well, believe it or not, it is. Short answer is you can't set the SD Card as the default storage/installation path. Period.

That is, of course, unless you're rooted. If you root your phone, you can install hacks or modify code to make your phone install things on the SD card or think that the SD Card is part of the internal memory. I STRONGLY ADVISE AGAINST THIS FOR APPS. SD Cards are NOT reliable. And should you remove an SD card with apps in it and re-insert it, it will wreak havoc in your shortcuts, icons, widgets, etc.

Some apps will still let you install secondary files to SD Cards, but the main app file is always meant to reside in the phone, and it's up to each dev to decide what data, if any, can be moved to external storage.
    I'm interested in being able to download files directly to the SD card. I only have about 4 gigs of space available on internal memory.
    09-29-2015 01:23 PM