i'm on my second galaxy s5. got a crack in the screen and had it replaced. anyway, with my first s5 i hated the lollipop update, mostly because of the notifications that say "hidden content" like im leading some sort of double life and there's top secret info in there. i mean yeah i have the phone locked but that doesn't mean it has to get all crazy with it. even when i got a pop up for the clock..."hidden content" give me a break. when i updated the first time with the first s5 a few days after the update it let me update again like it was in two parts and after that second update it was a little better. i could actually see how many texts i had waiting on the pop up after that as to where now it just says "messages" so for all i know i could have 1 or 20 texts waiting in there. and i didnt get pop ups for every single unecessary thing like googe play.....and the aforementioned alarm clock etc. so i guess my question is the lollipop update on my previous s5 was different in some ways. why is this?
    07-21-2015 09:52 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Android has had a few minor updates since 5.0 (5.0.1, 5.0.2, 5.1, 5.1.1), so with each update, minor things can change. On top of that, Samsung and or your carrier can also modify the base code from Google, which can make it behave slightly differently from other manufacturers' phones on the same version (or even the same phone but from a different carrier).
    07-21-2015 11:51 AM
    Lollipop has the same underline GUIDELINES on every phone. Meaning a material design look but it is vastly different on almost every major OEM. A Nexus' take on android in general is VERY different than say Samsung's take. You have Pure Android Enthusiast and Novice User's who don't know what Android Lollipop is other than there phone has it.

This is one of the biggest benefits to an android user as you have a wide variety of choices but also one of android biggest drawbacks as fragmentation issues are somewhat rampant due to so many different flavors of that operating system.
    07-21-2015 12:15 PM
    So will using a vanilla flavor of Android bork your phone?
    07-21-2015 02:26 PM
    So will using a vanilla flavor of Android bork your phone?
    You typically would have to root the phone and find a custom "vanilla" ROM designed specifically for that phone.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-22-2015 12:26 AM
    You typically would have to root the phone and find a custom "vanilla" ROM designed specifically for that phone.
    Okay, that's what I was thinking. So it shouldn't interfere with my service provider in standard functions, right?
    07-22-2015 12:55 PM
    So it shouldn't interfere with my service provider in standard functions, right?
    Sorry, I can't answer that for sure. I'll let others chime in on that.
    07-22-2015 06:28 PM
    Flashing a custom ROM will have no effect on your service provider, your phone may gain functions or lose some functions

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-22-2015 06:46 PM
    Flashing a custom ROM will have no effect on your service provider, your phone may gain functions or lose some functions

That's what I thought I remembered, and wanted to make sure it was still the case. Thanks.
    07-22-2015 07:03 PM
    No problem, glad to help

07-23-2015 01:16 AM

Pretty much, depending on the ROM that you put. For example if you put a custom ROM on your Galaxy Note (if it's not a TW rom) you gonna lose the S-Pen function and will need a 3rd party app to make it work again.

That's an example of many. For example Moto's unique voice always on as well.
    07-23-2015 04:46 AM
    Oh. I don't use none o that stuff. No social site apps, nothin. Just call, text, and the occasional email/net search.
    07-23-2015 11:56 AM