"Unknown" ringtone

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
In the last few days both my wife's Nexus 5 and my Nexus 6 suddenly began ringing with a new ringtone which I can only describe as bong ---- bong ---- bong ---- bong.

They had both been previously set to Hangouts Call. When I checked the current setting both said simply "Unknown" - I changed back to Hangouts Call and all is normal again.

Has anyone else had this issue recently? We are both on Cricket Wireless, although I doubt that matters. I recently (yesterday AM) installed a system update (5.1.1, Build LMY48M); my wife's Nexus 5 has downloaded the update but not yet installed.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Actually could that have been a system alert letting you know the update was ready? It didn't happen on mine - any weird sounds, that is - but maybe that was it.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Actually could that have been a system alert letting you know the update was ready? It didn't happen on mine - any weird sounds, that is - but maybe that was it.

No, definitely a ringtone.

My wife had me call her phone so that I could hear it.

Didn't occur to me that I might be affected as well (truthfully, I assumed that she had accidentally messed her's up somehow), but I received a call this morning and my Nexus 6 did the same thing. Went to Settings -> Sound & notification -> Phone ringtone and it just said "Unknown". I had to tap and re-select my preferred ringtone, Hangouts Call.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
So, my current Nexus 6P / Marshmallow on Project Fi just did the same thing. Ringtone mysteriously changed to "Unknown" with a sound that simply goes Bong ... Bong ... Bong...

I can't believe that my wife and I are the only ones who have ever had this happen. Her Nexus 5, my Nexus 6, and now my Nexus 6P. On Lollipop previously and now also on Marshmallow.

Cruiser970

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
I have this issue as well, and curiously my ringtone has been set to the Hangouts call as well. Maybe something is occurring when Hangouts updates which causes the system to fall back to a default?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have this issue as well, and curiously my ringtone has been set to the Hangouts call as well. Maybe something is occurring when Hangouts updates which causes the system to fall back to a default?

I've been wondering the same thing. Perhaps Hangout updates temporarily delete the Hangouts ringtone...

rpw529

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
I just wanted to add my two cents and see if you had discovered the problem here. I have a droid turbo with my ringtone set to hangouts call and I periodically get the same thing happening to me. It's more of an annoyance than a major problem but it's still an annoyance i'd like to avoid if possible.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I just wanted to add my two cents and see if you had discovered the problem here. I have a droid turbo with my ringtone set to hangouts call and I periodically get the same thing happening to me. It's more of an annoyance than a major problem but it's still an annoyance i'd like to avoid if possible.

I've decided that it is related to occasional updates of the Hangouts app. Since I like the Hangouts ringtone, I just have to deal with this problem when it pops up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781