My phone was recently updated to Lollipop and there are several issues that are making it an extremely unpleasant experience.

Firstly I now have to get through two lockscreens to be able to do anything. I press the power button and the first lockscreen appears on which I have to swipe up to unlock, which then takes me to the second lockscreen at which I enter my pin pattern. The lockscreen used to function perfectly rationally in Android 4 so this time consuming regression is most annoying.

Secondly the quick settings doesn't work properly either. Previously I would pull down from the top and get straight to quick settings. Now I have to pull down from the top once, which first takes me to a bloated notification screen (that has no button to clear all the notifications), and then I have to pull the notification screen down again to get to the 'not so quick' settings. I've heard that a two finger pull down works to access the quick settings straightaway but there are two problems with that. One, when using the device one handled I don't have two thumbs to do it with, and two the pull down doesn't even work properly anyway. It's _really_ unreliable. Sometimes I have to swipe down 30 odd times before even the notification screen is displayed, and I know this isn't a hardware problem because it works first time with no problem on the lockscreen.

Thirdly the recent apps display is this horrid overlapping carousel that rather than telling me what's actually running instead just seems to contain the entire history of everything I've ever used in a format that is no use for anything at all.

Fourthly the look and feel is horrid. It's so garish and bright that if I switch the device on in the night to check my alarm or something, I can't even look at it because it hurts my eyes so badly, I have to hold it a bit sideways and squint at it out of the corner of my eye.

I've done some research on the web but so far have not found any solutions to any of these issues, so here are my questions:

Which (if any) of these issues are solvable in Lollipop (5.1.1)?

Which (if any) of these issues will be solved or ammeliorated by Marshmallow (which my phone should be getting the update for soon)?

If the only solution is to ditch stock Android until it becomes usable again, which alternative ROM would give me a sensible user experience that is ideally based on at least Android 5? (since it would be a shame to have to go all the way back to 4 and lose the native runtime improvements just to get a usable UI).
    01-25-2016 07:58 AM