Current version of Play Store is broken. What do I do?

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
do not tamper with the Googleplaystore apps.

Why? It's the only way we seem to be able to make the Play Store function in a way that is end user/customer friendly.

if possible don't touch it.

Not possible given the circumstance.

It won't work if you restore it to its factory settings.

Seems like the only way it will work now for some of us is to restore it to factory settings. As well, they're blaming the problem on our devices as opposed to acknowledging the issue resides among varying manufacturer devices. I'm no Einstein but I'd imagine that given people who own varying manufacturers devices are having the same problem and the common denominator is Google Play Store, then, this would indicate that Google is the source of the underlying issue.

All your apps in one place.

Nope. All my apps not in one place. Not all Samsung apps are on the Play Store.

If you try to download app from other sources it shall be blocked.

No, it shall not be blocked. Not if we allow installations from both trusted and unknown sources. In fact, it's the only way some Samsung apps shall be updated.

Get all your apps at Googleplaystore.

No. Some Samsung apps aren't in the Play Store.

Besides.....any apps that I do try to get at Google Play Store tells me, nope...can't have it... could not be download due to an error 963. Only way I can make it work (and only temporarily even) is to do all of the things that you tell us not to do.

Last edited:

zspira

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
This is because Google apps cannot be moved to the SD card. It is only apps that have been moved to the SD card that cannot be updated.

The apps on my device, which for some unknown reason can't be moved to the SD card have this problem too.

Posted via the Android Central App

SnowyRa1n

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
My Play Store updated itself (again) and Google+ and Google app both updated successfully. When other apps update, I will post back on their status.

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
My Play Store updated itself (again) and Google+ and Google app both updated successfully. When other apps update, I will post back on their status.

Yep. Mine, too. And I also got the G+ update. Didn't get the Google app update, though.

I'm still getting the "Can't be downloaded . Try again, and if the problem continues get help troubleshooting. (Error Code 963)" message whenever I try to manually download any app, though.

For instance, I just tried to go download a random game from Google's app store to see if the issue was resolved given that the G+ app (which I don't even use) updated okay and this is what it returned...

ieo1n4.jpg

Seems like it attempts to download it twice consecutively only to fail and return the error 963 message.

I don't know what to do. But I'm not going to constantly unmount my sd card or revert play store all of the time just to temporarily be able to install apps. It is annoying just because it is such a basic and remedial function that should just work but I'm beginning to conclude it not worth the hassle if it is out of my control. After some research on the issue it seems like it has been happening for some time to people on varying devices. Almost a year even. And none of these so called "fixes" on XDA or those click bait sites claiming to have solutions work either. They're just temporary rig jobs until the problem shows up the next time I want to download from the app store. It was asked about in a few of those Google Community pages but it seems like people who are asking about the issue and are experiencing it are essentially talking to their monitors since no response has been given on any of those pages by Google people. does Google even read those pages? If they haven't acknowledged or fixed the issue in that length of time then I can't conclude that the issue is being taken very seriously by Google or that they actually consider it to be an issue. I suppose I could ditch all of the Google stuff and just register a Samsung account and use their app store.

It wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the fact that I just bought this phone. I don't even care about the apps themselves, I just want the infrastructure to work in case I ever do need an app for something. I had no idea going into it that Google's infrastructure with these devices was lacking and that remedial issues such as this went ignored. What ever happened to reliability anyway? Doesn't seem like developers do good work anymore.

Last edited:

konvajw

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Same issue. This needs fixed soon since the workarounds really aren't good.

Posted via the Android Central App - Verizon S5

halfbeing

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
I've noticed that many people commenting here, including myself, are experiencing this problem on Samsung devices, but someone mentioned that they reckon the problem appears on various phones? How many people here are experiencing the problem on Samsung devices, and how many on devices from other manufacturers?

konvajw

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I'm already on 6.2.14.... so no clue what's going on here, but app updates definitely aren't working well for me.

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
It works now for me as well with build 6.0.5

I had to manually clear data/uninstall previous build of Play Store in order to get an updated 6.0.5 Play Store build, though. Play Store wasn't updating to current build on its own on my GS5.

I didn't even know there was a 6.0.5 build until I saw SnowyRa1n mention it.

I'm thinking about just doing a factory reset on my phone just to work out any kinks that might be hanging around. I hate doing that but I might do it anyway.

Last edited:

konvajw

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
How did you get 6.2.14? Mine updated to 6.0.5.

No clue. I just did uninstall updates and then it updated to 6.0.5 afterwards, so hopefully it stays there. App updates working fine again on 6.0.5 as it is with you guys. Thanks for the help.

SnowyRa1n

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
It works now for me as well with build 6.0.5

I had to manually clear data/uninstall previous build of Play Store in order to get an updated 6.0.5 Play Store build, though. Play Store wasn't updating to current build on its own on my GS5.

I didn't even know there was a 6.0.5 build until I saw SnowyRa1n mention it.

I'm thinking about just doing a factory reset on my phone just to work out any kinks that might be hanging around. I hate doing that but I might do it anyway.

I plan on doing the same thing after installing the OTA update, but I'm hesitant to do it because you know if I do of course then a month from now Marshmallow will come and I'll have to do it all over again.

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I plan on doing the same thing after installing the OTA update, but I'm hesitant to do it because you know if I do of course then a month from now Marshmallow will come and I'll have to do it all over again.

I did a factory reset a few hours ago and started over again. So far everything is working okay with the Play Store.

I'm not really sure if I'll leven get the Marshmallow update what with mine being some kind of Canadian model that nobody cares about and the carrier doesn't even support anymore so no big deal resetting the device aside from setting everything up again.

But, yeah. If you're sure you'll get Marshmallow, then, it makes sense to reset afterward.

mgssrs

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
My are not updating either. I have to move them to the phone storage to update them. I am also on 6.2.14.A

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-03-24-10-12-27.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-03-24-10-12-27.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 6

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon