First time poster, so I hope this is the right place to ask this question.
    Devices: BLU Advance 5.0
    : BLU Life One-X
    : BLU Energy X-2
    Android Version: 5.1
    Issue: On all three devices, Google Play Music (Version 6.16.3624-0.I.3421865) does not give the option in the settings to change the default Storage device to SD Card. On two separate devices (Samsung tablets, one with an older version of Android, one with a new version of Android), running the exact same version of GPM, the option to change default storage device is available.

Note: I spent an hour on the phone with Google last week and they were flabbergasted that the option in GPM was not available. Their determination was that it was an Android issue, not a GPM issue. Based on my own testing, this makes sense.
    Note: The devices have been reset to factory defaults. No change in the status of the availability of GPM's default storage device.

Question: Does this make sense that the build of Android my devices get from BLU is the cause?
    Question: If yes, is there anything I can do to fix this?

Statement: Please assume I have no knowledge of working in Android, rooting or the like. I am, however, very comfortable learing and experimenting.

Thanks in advance.
    11-07-2016 08:57 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! I wonder if that might be an issue with Blu's firmware. Try contacting their support to see if it's a known issue: Contact Service
    11-07-2016 10:29 AM
    I noticed something peculiar this morning. When I take the SD card out of the device, Google Play Music gives me the option to choose my storage location, although external storage is greyed out because the SD card is not inserted. When I put the SD card back in, the option disappears out of GPM. Do you still think it could be BLU's firmware?
    11-16-2016 11:55 AM
    That would be my guess, but I can't be sure. Another thing to try would be a different SD card, in case there's something wrong with the one you're using. What brand and class is the card?
    11-16-2016 11:39 PM
    Thanks for the reply, B. Diddy. I have tried 3 different SD cards...no change. Today, BLU sent me this in response to my service request:

"Please be advised that our devices are split into two different storage categories. One for internal storage such as media files and one for phone storage specifically for applications, and software versions. Please be advised that the issue you are experiencing is due to the fact that the Google Play is an application and it cannot transfer its files onto your SD card"

If this is the end of support from them, what options do I have next? I don't know much about rooting, but would that fix it?
    11-21-2016 03:10 PM
    Ugh, that makes sense. Splitting the onboard storage into an Application area (where apps are installed) and an "Internal SD" (which acts like an external SD card) is an archaic practice that most phone manufacturers abandoned a few years ago. The Internal SD partition is essentially what apps will regard as the main external SD, even though it isn't external -- and any SD you actually insert won't be considered part of it. In these situations, moving an app to SD only moves the app portion to the Internal SD partition, not the physical SD card. And I assume that Google Play Music can't recognize your physical SD card because of how the Internal SD partition is implemented.

I'm not sure if rooting can help, and I don't have the expertise to discuss it in any kind of detail. Sorry!
    11-21-2016 07:01 PM
    Thanks for the reply BD. If you know anyone who has expertise to talk 'rooting', direct them to this thread. In the meantime, I will look into it and maybe sacrifice my cheapest device to see what happens.
    11-21-2016 07:17 PM