My 1st gen Moto G is running 5.1.

If wi-fi is not available I can't get Facebook or any browser to access mobile data. I have checked that in Data Usage - Mobile data is on and Set mobile data limit is off. In App data usage Chrome, Firefox and Facebook all have Restrict app background data set off.

Is there something else I have somehow managed to set that stops mobile data?
    03-24-2017 09:59 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Have you asked your carrier about this? Check the APN settings to make sure they're correct for your carrier: What is an APN, and how do I change it? | Android Central
    smvim likes this.
    03-24-2017 12:54 PM
    As B. Diddy suggests, check your APN settings and confirm with your carrier that your account is active. Also, are you having an issue with your mobile data connecting only in a certain location or is this happening everywhere? If it's only in a certain area this could just be you're in a location that gets dodgy cellular coverage, either the closest cell tower is too far away or perhaps inside a building? (Solid brick walls, no windows, lots of metal ducting, and in a basement all combine to make a wireless signal really weak or nonexistent.) OpenSignal has a nice app that will let you measure the signal strength and bandwidth of your wireless connections. A nice aspect to the coverage map it will show you is it's based on crowd-sourced data so you get more of an actual, in-the-field representation of your cellular connectivity, as opposed to some of the carriers' own coverage maps that are often influenced by their own marketing and sales departments.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...se3.opensignal
    And this is probably a long shot but if your Moto G isn't GSM and is a less common CDMA model, look around your Settings for any kind of update menu that might include options to 'Update PRL' and 'Update Profile' (Sprint phones often had this). Updating the PRL will update a current listing of cell towers.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    03-24-2017 04:00 PM