How to free up 280 MB of space

onwithsean

May 6, 2017
Visit site
I want to free up 280 MB of space on my phone. When I go to Settings > Storage > Pictures, videos it says 280 MB. I want to copy whatever is there to my computer and then delete it. I have tried using Android File Transfer. I looked in /DCIM and /Pictures but I don't see the 280 MB. I have tried connecting it as a Media Device (MTP) and as a Camera (PTP).

What else can I try? :confused:

I'm very low on space on my phone. I've already deleted any unnecessary apps, cleared the cached data and used the "Free up space" feature of Google Photos.

Phone: Nexus 4
Android version: 5.1.1

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! They might be from thumbnails. Use a file manager app and look in the /DCIM/.thumbnails directory. If you don't see it, make sure the file manager is set to show hidden folders/files. Delete the files in the thumbnails directory, but keep in mind that in the course of normal usage, the system will start creating thumbnails again.

Mr Mendelli

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
I want to free up 280 MB of space on my phone. When I go to Settings > Storage > Pictures, videos it says 280 MB. I want to copy whatever is there to my computer and then delete it. I have tried using Android File Transfer. I looked in /DCIM and /Pictures but I don't see the 280 MB. I have tried connecting it as a Media Device (MTP) and as a Camera (PTP).

What else can I try? :confused:

I'm very low on space on my phone. I've already deleted any unnecessary apps, cleared the cached data and used the "Free up space" feature of Google Photos.

Phone: Nexus 4
Android version: 5.1.1

My Advanced File Transfer Guide might be able to help you. I also recommend trying the mobile version of CCleaner. It's reputable, and mostly free. The pro version is $1.95.

onwithsean

May 6, 2017
Visit site
B. Diddy: Thank you for replying. There is only about 30 MB in the thumbnails folder. I’m using Android File Transfer. I don’t think it has a way to show hidden folders/files. I think that it shows them by default. Is there anything else I can try?

Mr Mendelli: Thank you for replying. I followed your Advanced File Transfer Guide. I don’t get a "File transfer" notification on my phone though. Is there anything else I can try?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The Pictures category will include all images on the phone, not just the ones in the /DCIM directory. So there might be other images created or used by other apps in separate directories. Try looking through all possible directories, either from your computer or using a good file manager app like Total Commander.

See this guide for some more tips on freeing up space: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...y-how-deal-insufficient-storage-warnings.html

Thanks for registering -- when you get a chance, head over to the Introductions forum and tell us something about yourself! http://forums.androidcentral.com/introductions/

onwithsean

May 6, 2017
Visit site
I looked through the guide and didn't see anything in there that solved my problem.

Will using Total Commander let me see directories that Android File Transfer won't?

I went through all of the directories with a fine tooth comb. I didn't see any that took up a lot of space. Except for this:

Pictures > cache > com.google.android.googlephotos

In that folder is download-cache, several folders (picasa—0, picasa—2, etc) and some files. In that folder (com.google.android.googlephotos), there is about 225 MB of .screen files. I don’t use Picasa (on my computer or as an app on the phone). Can I delete the com.google.android.googlephotos folder?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, then you've already cleared all cached app data? That's one of the main things to do to temporarily recover some storage space.

Since that folder you mention is in a directory called "cache," it should be safe to delete.

onwithsean

May 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes, I already cleared the cached app data.

I will delete the "com.google.android.googlephotos" folder. If there's a problem, I'll post back here.