Find My Device website not working.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which phone do you have? Is it powered on and connected to the web, with Location turned on?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The OP is having problems with the forum software, and instead PM'd me this reply:

"The phone I’m trying to locate is an Android ZTE Z813 that’s running on Android 5.1, the phone is powered on, connected to the web and Location is on. Find My Device app works perfectly on the phone but when I go to the website Find My Device it won’t locate the phone. Any suggestions please?"

Try clearing the browsing data from Chrome for the past week or so, then see if it works. Also, are you using Chrome on your desktop or your phone?

sfjeai96

Dec 2, 2017
Visit site
I’m using Chrome on my iPhone but I’ve also tried it on my Android work phone in Chrome as well. Both do the same thing...contacting device...

Mark Archibald

Dec 3, 2017
Visit site
I have exact same problem with my Samsung S7, find my device works on phone, but not from another phone or Computer, just keeps turning on Contacting Device:
This started on the 5th of Novermber which was coincidental the date my Google Play Services updated,
I’ve tried the following

1:Made sure all Location setting are on and permissions allowed for
Google Play Services
Google Maps
Find my device

2:Uninstalled and reinstalled Google Play service

3:uninstalled and reinstalled google account

4:reinstalled find my device app

5: went to google play account and checked phone visibility was ticked

6: made sure device Administration was ticked in security settings

7:swore at the phone

I’m sorry I haven’t got an answer for you, but you could try the above suggestions, as I’ve read on other forums that some have solved the problem, good luck and if you find solution, could you post it below in reply, so I can stop swearing

Mark

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Did either of you try clearing Chrome's browsing data for the last week or last month, as I had previously suggested?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what might be causing that. I'd send some feedback to Google about this, using the Feedback option in the system settings.

Mark Archibald

Dec 3, 2017
Visit site
Hi B .Diddy

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I did clear Chromes Data, I reloaded Find my device again onto to my Samsung and it finds the phone from there no problem, but!!! from any other Computer, Phone or Tablet I just get the message « Contacting Device » I can ring (make alarm sound) the phone from the “Find my Device” webpage on a Computer, Phone or Tablet But! Can’t locate it

If I try a different approach and use the Samsung Find my Mobile website it finds the phone with no problem, so I’m sure it’s not a Hardware problem, although Find my mobile is useless as every time you do a search you get a Notification on the screen, that I find impossible to turn off , when tracking the phone the last thing you want to do is inform the person whose stole it that you’re tracking it ( this is just plain stupid and if you have a fix for that I’d send you an Xmas card)

So to recap Find my Device stopped working on exactly the same day my “Google Play Services” updated Nov 5th, I’ve also gone through every System app that is listed on my phone and given them Location Permission just in case something changed with the update.

If you could try and get a response from google that would be fab as I use this feature to check my young daughter is safe and sound!

Thanks again Mark

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, but I have as much pull with Google as you do!:p (I'm a volunteer here, with no direct affiliation with Google.) As I mentioned above, I'd send feedback to Google using the feedback part of the system settings.

Google Play Services gets updated automatically fairly frequently, so you might just have to give it a little while longer, then check again. Sorry I can't be of more help at this time!

dvh22

Dec 5, 2017
Visit site
I was having exactly the same problem until I tried "requesting desktop site". Now it works finally, but not on the "mobile site"

I was trying it on an iPhone 6. Desktop site works for both safari and chrome.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I was having exactly the same problem until I tried "requesting desktop site". Now it works finally, but not on the "mobile site"

I was trying it on an iPhone 6. Desktop site works for both safari and chrome.

That's great, but @Mark Archibald mentioned that he was having problems using Find My Device on a computer as well, which wouldn't be using the mobile site, so this solution may not work for him.

Mark Archibald

Dec 3, 2017
Visit site
Thanks dvh22 for the suggestion, sadly it didn’t work for me, but thanks again for taking the time to reply, thanks again to B.diidy for all your efforts and I hope the original poster had some luck :)

Mark

sfjeai96

Dec 2, 2017
Visit site
Desktop Site on Chrome works on iPhone 6S perfectly!!! It’s so weird how it works on desktop view only though, there’s got to be a something wrong with the Mobile Site. Hope this info helps Google fix the mobile site!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Desktop Site on Chrome works on iPhone 6S perfectly!!! It’s so weird how it works on desktop view only though, there’s got to be a something wrong with the Mobile Site. Hope this info helps Google fix the mobile site!

Definitely give Google feedback about this. If the Find My Device app has a Help & Feedback option in the settings, use that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance