Strange readout when call from home phone

minnesotasutherland

Sep 24, 2020
Visit site
Calling from my home phone to my cell it not only plays the wrong ringtone but it reads out the following: (XXX)XXX-XXXX;verstat=TN-Validation-Passed. The Xes are my home phone number. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S5 running 6.1. It just started doing this several weeks ago. Thank you.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is this the carrier's own Caller ID showing that? Do you have your home phone entered as a contact in your Contacts app?

minnesotasutherland

Sep 24, 2020
Visit site
Yes and yes. And when I enable an app I've used for the past 5 years, Spoken Caller ID, it reads out that whole thing. My home phone number will also not use the custom ringtone I've set for it. I also got a spam call from someone in the same area code with the same first three digits as my phone and it read that one out the above way as well. My Android version is actually 6.1. No one at Verizon has ever heard of this happening. I've researched this exhaustively and this is obviously a glitch in Verizon's stir/shaken spoof caller prevention. Even the top tier level of support at Verizon claims they've never heard of this. Thank you

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You've already tried deleting your own home contact and re-entering it? Also, when you select your home contact in the Contacts app, tap Menu>Ringtone and see which ringtone is selected.

minnesotasutherland

Sep 24, 2020
Visit site
Yes and Yes. It doesn't play the ringtone I've selected - it plays the default for unknown calls. Calls from everyone else don't do that - they play their customized ringtone.

minnesotasutherland

Sep 24, 2020
Visit site
I totally factory reset the phone the other day and tested it with only my google contacts synced and chose a ringtone from Verizon's basic ones. Like just bell or something like that. It would not ring the custom ringtone and with none of my apps on it it still did this.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't see any app called "Spoken Caller ID" in Play Store. Is that the exact name of it? Where did you get it from? It's also possible that Android 6 Marshmallow is too old and no longer supported by whatever app you are using.

minnesotasutherland

Sep 24, 2020
Visit site
It does this with no non stock apps installed. I factory reset the phone and put no apps on there until I tested this. It's not on the play store because it's an old app I got when I first got the s5. It does this whether I have an app on there or not. This just started 3 weeks ago.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a transnexus customer am I? I'm a Verizon customer. No not using google voice or anything. My home phone calls my cell and it does what I explained above.

I don't think any consumer is a direct TransNexus customer, since it looks like this business provides services directly to other major companies. Since it looks like their STIR/SHAKEN service is widely used by major wireless carriers, that's why I suggested asking them if they're aware of the situation (since Verizon seemed to be clueless). Another option would be to call Verizon again and ask to escalate to a higher tier of tech support, since the lowest tier is very unlikely to know anything about this.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I totally factory reset the phone the other day and tested it with only my google contacts synced and chose a ringtone from Verizon's basic ones. Like just bell or something like that. It would not ring the custom ringtone and with none of my apps on it it still did this.
Hi, welcometo AC!
If you choose from Verizon basic thats not the stock ring tone, instead of custom? Does this only happen from landline numbers ?

minnesotasutherland

Sep 24, 2020
Visit site
That's the really weird thing. When it started doing it first of September, I called verizon and someone in their tech support dept (and I forgot to get her name) said it might be because the card was old. She said she would try to fix it over the air (which she did!) but she was sending me a new SIM card. So I got the new SIM card and put it in and everything continued to work fine for two weeks. Then it started having the problem again and no one at Verizon knew what she had done "over the air" or knew how to fix it or even what I was describing. So that's the long way of saying the current SIM card is three weeks old.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That's the really weird thing. When it started doing it first of September, I called verizon and someone in their tech support dept (and I forgot to get her name) said it might be because the card was old. She said she would try to fix it over the air (which she did!) but she was sending me a new SIM card. So I got the new SIM card and put it in and everything continued to work fine for two weeks. Then it started having the problem again and no one at Verizon knew what she had done "over the air" or knew how to fix it or even what I was describing. So that's the long way of saying the current SIM card is three weeks old.
Maybe try your sim in your husband phone see if same result?

minnesotasutherland

Sep 24, 2020
Visit site
If it screwed up his phone I'd never hear the end of it. I'm thinking about trying my new sim card in my old S5 and even trying my old sim card in the new phone. I assume if you only have a sim card in one phone it won't cause a problem with verizon.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
If it screwed up his phone I'd never hear the end of it. I'm thinking about trying my new sim card in my old S5 and even trying my old sim card in the new phone. I assume if you only have a sim card in one phone it won't cause a problem with verizon.
Lol I hear you , a sim shouldn't mess up his phone , but to avoid his phone try your older phone for testing:)