Do you think Marshmallow will cripple old devices?

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
As we all know by now, it is a very bad idea to install a new OS on a phone that wasn't meant for it.

Example: With the Note 4 which was the best phone I owned while it was on Kit Kat, then came Lollipop and destroyed my happy experience, the phone was super laggy despite doing a factory reset and the battery life went down from 2 days to 1 day max under moderate usage.

I am scared to update now.......

So I got a
Galaxy S6 Edge+ after Samsung basically forced me to do so by delaying the 5.1 Lollipop update as until this date the Note 4 here in Dubai didn't get 5.1.

Do you think Marshmallow will also cripple my S6 edge+?

drbrk

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
I think samsung is a bad example. They have big problem with launcher and every new OS is more laggy... but i read that they trying to solve this problem and it's getting better. People who install M Preview says that it works faster than 5.1 so there is a hope :p

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
And you know this how??

Because Lollipop crippled my Note 4 so bad despite doing factory restoration but it was laggy as heck I had to sell it. Imagine an even older device such as the S5 on a newer OS? Logic says it would destroy the device to a point where the user would get fed up with it and sell it to get a new one.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Because Lollipop crippled my Note 4 so bad despite doing factory restoration but it was laggy as heck I had to sell it. Imagine an even older device such as the S5 on a newer OS? Logic says it would destroy the device to a point where the user would get fed up with it and sell it to get a new one.

Lollipop made my Note 4 glorious.

svtalex

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
No, this is a 2 year old device. Even if you could, I wouldn't as your phone isn't fast enough to handle it

You do know the S5 came out last year? The S4 is the 2 year old device.and I'm sure the S5 will get marshmallow, just after the current flagship Samsung's

Posted via Android Central App

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
You do know the S5 came out last year? The S4 is the 2 year old device.and I'm sure the S5 will get marshmallow, just after the current flagship Samsung's

Posted via Android Central App

wow, with so many Samsung devices I got lost and I thought it was a 2 year old device. My bad

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Lollipop also crippled my Nexus 5, so it's not just the Note 4. It wasn't until 5.1.1 came along before my N5 finally wasn't such a laggy stuttery battery-draining mess.

This is pretty much the same with any new OS upgrade. My advice is, wait for the next 1 or 2 patches to come out, before upgrading to 6.0. Let other people do the beta testing for you. Don't be a beta tester. :)

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Lollipop also crippled my Nexus 5, so it's not just the Note 4. It wasn't until 5.1.1 came along before my N5 finally wasn't such a laggy stuttery battery-draining mess.

I have had no issues with Lollipop on my Nexus 5. Still fast and the battery is still getting me through most of the day till I replaced it with a LG G4. Only got the LG G4 since I wanted Band 12 with T-Mobile and VoWi. The Nexus 5 still makes a good gaming device for me every day with Lollipop that has less issues than my Nexus 7 (2013).

roundwound5

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Surprisingly, my Nexus 4 has run fantastically well on Lollipop since the first OTA update (no custom ROMs currently running 5.1.1). It is leaner and meaner now than it was a year ago when I was contemplating the Moto Nexus 6, but couldn't justify spending $799 for the model I wanted while I still had a functional Nexus device running the latest Android OS.

There have been a handful of times the Nexus 4 has crashed on me since first running Lollipop after several back to back HDR shots taken with the stock Google Camera app in which the sensor overheats. Even this, for me, has vastly improved over 4.4.4 when I experienced this behavior somewhat frequently. I'm bummed out about the lack of Marshmallow support on the Nexus 4, but recognize Marshmallow and the significant hardware advancements as some justification to replacing a phone that isn't completely broken.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I also have a Nexus 4 which is going on three years old, and although early Lollipop had its niggling issues it was never the disaster for me that some people reported. No significant change in speed or battery life (battery has always sucked on the N4 anyway, so take that for what it's worth), no serious stability issues. I did do a clean install via factory image, though, so that might have something to do with it. If I still have it when CM releases milestone Marshmallow builds, I'll definitely be giving them a try.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
There's absolutely a point past which old hardware just can't run new software well, but in truth most bum updates are because the OEM did a crappy job of optimizing them, not because the device can't handle them.

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
That's probably Samsung's fault. Marshmallow on a Nexus 7 2013, what I just tested it on, is absolutely noticeably snappier. If Marshmallow runs like crap on your device I'd place the blame on the OEM. My brother has an S6 and I've messed with one at a T-Mo store, it's a very fast device. It'd absolutely be the OEM's fault if Marshmallow ran like crap.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol