Nexus 5 issues with SMS/MMS on Marshmallow

icemncmth

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Did the OTA and now my phone can send texts but won't recieve them. Actually that isn't correct it will get them but all at once in bulk hours later. Now I have cleaned the cache, uninstalled Hangouts and reinstalled. Booted into safe mode and tried sending a text. I can send but don't get the response. I turned off LTE and all the responses started flooding in. I will probably do a factory reset and see how that works. Anyone else have this issue?

Gasconman

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes. I had Handcent as my default SMS app and that stopped working immediately after the new system update. I thought it was a Handcent problem and was researching that when I saw your post. So it looks like a general SMS problem not restricted to Handcent. I'll uninstall Handcent and see what happens.

icemncmth

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I was running hangouts...so it isn't that. If I turn of LTE things work. So this is the same issue that happened in 2014. Hopefully Google will send a patch.

qaelith2112

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Pushbullet is breaking MMS on Marshmallow. Can't tell if this is unique to Nexus 5 or if it happens to be a lot of Nexus 5 handsets because that's one of the few for which Marshmallow is available. If you have it, try uninstalling and then rebooting. Mine didn't work until I rebooted.

Unfortunately I can't post links due to not having posted enough here, but if you search productforums dot google dot com for the subject "Can't Send/Receive MMS on Nexus 5 after Android 6.0 Update" you will find more.

icemncmth

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Didn't use pushbullet and for now as soon as I turn of LTE and go to 3g everything works. Looks like it is a bug Google will have to fix.

spinner735

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm having this issue also. I clean flashed using the factory images, so factory reset may not help you out. I had the Pushbullet MMS issue. Uninstalled pushbullet and that was fixed. But SMS is now severely delayed even when using stock Messaging app.

EDIT: Can confirm this is still an issue in Safe Mode.

Does anyone here know how to properly put an issue into the Issue Tracker? If so, please do it and send us a link so we can star and share it!

Last edited:

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I are both on Marshmallow on Nexus 5s. Mine works fine, but she cannot view pictures in Hangouts. She instead sees that there is a message and tapping on it will offer the option to delete or download. Delete works fine but choosing download simple "clicks". I immediately see the picture and don't need to download and that is the way hers used to work. Any ideas?

spinner735

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I called T-Mobile and they "reset my LTE" (whatever that actually means) and it seems to have fixed the issue of receiving SMS while LTE is the preferred network type.

aviduser

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I am having a terrible time with Marshmallow. Apps and OS are laggy. Calls take forever to dial out. Calls initiated from phone while in car do not connect to car BT. SMS messages will not send. Phone does not lock on auto sleep, despite setting to lock after 5 seconds.

All in all the update is terribly buggy or the Nexus 5 simply does not have enough horsepower to run it well. I am really annoyed and I hope that Google releases some bug fixes soon.

Also, I did the Cache Partition wipe. It took FOREVER (like 15 minutes of no activity, which feels like forever) and has not made any difference.

spinner735

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I am having a terrible time with Marshmallow. Apps and OS are laggy. Calls take forever to dial out. Calls initiated from phone while in car do not connect to car BT. SMS messages will not send. Phone does not lock on auto sleep, despite setting to lock after 5 seconds.

All in all the update is terribly buggy or the Nexus 5 simply does not have enough horsepower to run it well. I am really annoyed and I hope that Google releases some bug fixes soon.

Also, I did the Cache Partition wipe. It took FOREVER (like 15 minutes of no activity, which feels like forever) and has not made any difference.

clean flash.

elsmama

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Google Messenger also won't send mms messages post Marshmallow upgrade. I did have Pushbullet, and it seems to send fine after uninstalling it - however, I used Pushbullet a lot, so am not enthused about not having it available.

steph_aniek

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
I had the same issues after upgrading to 6 on my nexus 5. But I've just reset my APN(s) to default, rebooted my phone and I managed to get an MMS from my friend that had failed about 5 minutes prior to resetting. So, seems to have worked... not sure if it's a permanent fix.

moseszg

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I called T-Mobile and they "reset my LTE" (whatever that actually means) and it seems to have fixed the issue of receiving SMS while LTE is the preferred network type.

Nexus 5 Marshmallow. I have pushbullet. I uninstalled it and the issue persisted in the messenger app. I change the default to 3g and turned my phone off and on and I was able to receive mms no problem. I turned LTE back on turned airplane mode on and than off and mms is still working solid. So I guess "resetting" the LTE worked.

jmeridth

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
Nexus 5 Marshmallow. I have pushbullet. I uninstalled it and the issue persisted in the messenger app. I change the default to 3g and turned my phone off and on and I was able to receive mms no problem. I turned LTE back on turned airplane mode on and than off and mms is still working solid. So I guess "resetting" the LTE worked.

This worked perfectly for me. Thank you.

Binh Lam

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Uninstalling Pushbullet worked for me too. Unfortunately, its one of those apps that I really like and use regularly. Can someone update this thread when the issue gets fixed with this app?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams