Files not visible in Windows 10 since Marshmallow update on Nexus 6?

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Anybody else having this problem?
My Nexus shows up in File explorer but can't access files.
Windows 10 X64
Fixed

Last edited:

etad putta

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Maybe i am missing something. Windows 10 32 bit for me. Using data cable to usb port on pc. Selecting "use usb for Tranfer files (MTP) . Works fine for me. I see 10 folders I can access.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
After connecting to the PC, pull down the notification shade on your device and you'll see an item asking what you want to do with the USB connection.

You have to repeat each time you connect to the PC.

jyoti ranjan Sahoo

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
thanks for the help.

" After connecting to the PC, pull down the notification shade on your device and you'll see an item asking what you want to do with the USB connection. You have to repeat each time you connect to the PC."

HoppingYop

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
In my case it is not marshmallow. I can see the files if I connect to a computer that has Windows 7 but not if I connect to a computer with windows 10. I suspect the drivers like someone else said but I don't know where to get the correct files.

Andy3460

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
My Motorola G2, and My Dad's MotoG3 are the same.

All the pics, videos etc are visible in ES File Explorer on the phone, and work on the phone, but don't show up in Windows explorer on Windows 10 on the computer.

This is after selecting either transfer Files or Transfer Photos from the drop down.

Files I put there after the Marshmallow upgrade do show.

Help?

Andy

steelew

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Search google product forums (it wont let me post links here (lame))
productforums DOT google DOT com SLASH forum SLASH #!topic SLASH nexus SLASH 6lMKqYYXpXw

second suggestion worked for me, just wait a few minutes after rebooting for it to rebuild your file databases.

12/17/15
Nikhil Bastikar said:
I found a solution from user named Peter Oravecz.
So basically we need to delete the cache and the data for the System apps named "External Storage and Media Storage".
Goto
Phone settings-> Apps -> Tap three dots on tiop right to select select Show system apps -> select External Storage and Media storage and delete data ana cache.

Then REBOOT THE PHONE.
this should work.

Herculeanthespian

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
Note 4 - worked for me, thanks!

" After connecting to the PC, pull down the notification shade on your device and you'll see an item asking what you want to do with the USB connection. You have to repeat each time you connect to the PC."

Michael Case

May 2, 2016
Visit site
This is the only solution that worked for me, and the reason some people don't have this problem is that the only files you can't access (after selecting transfer files) are on the external memory.
Just a little extra detail...it is necessary to clear the cache of two different apps - "External Storage" and "Media Storage". To do this, you have to select System->Apps, then tap the three vertical dots in the upper right hand corner, then tap "Show System" and now the Android system apps are shown along with all your other apps. For both apps ( "External Storage" and "Media Storage".) tap "Storage" (not a button, just a text field), then you will see the buttons to "Clear Data" and "Clear Cache". Do both and reset the phone. It will take a few minutes for all the files to appear, as the phone caches the configuration.

Julie Shig

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem, and now feel like an *****, but I couldn't access the files from Settings>Storage and USB (like before).

But now, if you pull down the shade from your device, you may need to scroll down a ways to see the USB options notification. Then select what you want to do with the USB connection. I expected to see something at the top of the screen, but noticed it was way down the screen.

Problem solved.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Where does one select "use usb for transfer files (MTP.)

No.

After connecting to PC, turn phone on and enter PIN/Pattern if required. Now, drag down the notification bar from top of screen and tap on "USB for charging" (something like that, anyway); next, tap on "File Transfer mode".

You have to repeat each time you connect to your PC.

Dougal95

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
Ssme! Since update on galaxy s5, none of my laptops or pc will see files on phone. Can't even use Google play to install apps via pc. ALL phone will do is charge. I HATE marshmallow and wish I could roll back:(

TomBrooklyn

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
After connecting to PC, turn phone on and enter PIN/Pattern if required. Now, drag down the notification bar from top of screen and tap on "USB for charging" (something like that, anyway); next, tap on "File Transfer mode".
Roger. That worked. Thanks. Note to anyone else looking: I had to scroll way down to see that item.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Roger. That worked. Thanks. Note to anyone else looking: I had to scroll way down to see that item.

You may have had a lot of notifications stacked up. I rarely have more than one or two, so the USB Charging one is right there when I drag down the notification bar.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis